Quantcast

how come the riding is so one sided here?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i like to ride evrything possible. let me say that first. but i mostly like to ride flowing jumpy droppy kind of stuff with the occaisional ladder built in. we have thousands of miles of single track and the occaisional shuttle run but nothing at the upper end of the riding spectrum and it is killing me. any suggestions or reasons why the riding here sucks?

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
lack of riders who get it together and get legal land, no one is really organized, and if they are they arn't fighting for the good stuff, and for us greenville folks, it is just a lack of people that don't ride the rode. Only a handful like jumps, and downhills,and ladders, and all that.

We may have a few people but not enought to start anything.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have a drill and a chainsaw and some other tools. This summer, let me know when and where.

Becuase i only like riding on the left side....oh wait...

Part of the reason is that there are just too many xc riders here.

Also trying to get DH/FR's organized is notoriuosly difficult. There will be FR stuff going in at Conyers HP and Blankets Creek (GA) soon.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Curiouscaptian01
lack of riders who get it together and get legal land, no one is really organized, and if they are they arn't fighting for the good stuff, and for us greenville folks, it is just a lack of people that don't ride the rode. Only a handful like jumps, and downhills,and ladders, and all that.

We may have a few people but not enought to start anything.
Couldn't have said it better.

I mean we have Windrock and all, but it still is only 3-4 hardcore dudes that put in all the time to build those trails and most of the time its the same 3-4 dudes that ride it. Just not mainstream enough here yet.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
definately not mainstream enough to get much going. If you will notice the only areas with major stuff developing are the biggest metro areas. Charlotte has a lot of stuff that people are trying to get going, and central NC has Tar River and others. There just arent enough people to get stuff going around here. We are fully willing to work, but we live too far away from all the places that stuff is going on. We are some of the few people that ride in Greenville, at least the only people that do this kind of riding. I think now that we can somewhat transport ourselves, we will try to get more trips up to semi close places to work (charlotte, wolf laurel, etc...) Its just hard when our parents take some convincing to take us places, and we dont always want to spend those select days on doing work, we would rather take a trip to pisgah or something.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I don't know.. but I'm tired of it. So you say well you do something about it! We're trying, as much as you can do on land that isn't yours and being 16.

Too many fourwheelers and dirt bikes :dead: :dead:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Build it and they will come...........

There's alot of hurdles and challenges, getting a spot of private land where you can keep the horses and motorcycles out. Organizing a club can help with that, also getting involved in any local pro-active mt. biking club can help, it's slow and alot of work and dedication but results can be really cool when you can get stuff worked out on public, state, federal owned land.
It takes work even if it's just some people bringin shovels, and whatever tools you need on the secret trails, but the one fact remains.... Make cool trails, more people will be interested in mt. biking, try to be as legit as possible, and good things will happen.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Interesting post, I believe it is because southern folk move very slowly so it will take 10 or so years for us to catch up with other trends.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Folks are willing to talk all day about wanting a trail or stunt but when it is time for the rubber to hit the dirt (or wood) no one is to be found. Every once and awhile you will get a big turn out but then you won't see those folks for a year.

A local forum got all up in arms about some stunts that got built at Catawba. The thing went on for pages and pages about how cool it was and now folks were so willing to help out. But when it came time to stand up and say I'm there to help at a meeting (with over 100 folks) I think that 2 stood up. The screwy thing about it is that I suspect that the G-Vegas Respect Crew (I mean cult you freakin' wackos;) )would spend more time working on stuff here in Charlotte. How pathetic is that?

In the end it requires that a few (3 to 5) folks really want it and are willing to sacrifice a ton of time to get it done.

Then you add the preceived increased liability that stunts bring land owners you are already two strikes behind.

And for the last strike, the stunts that initially get built are some g-normus sketchy looking stunt that scares the ever living hell out of the land owner/manager. Catawba is a perfect example of this. If those stunts had been built 2 feet off the ground instead of 7 feet I don't think the parks would have blinked. Then the next stunt goes to 4 feet and so on. Get them use to the fact and that folks are being killed daily on them.

I overlooked the IMBA/Kona Freeride grants and those are all be awarded to groups that are building skills style stunts. Which is really where it has to start.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Originally posted by DRB
Folks are willing to talk all day about wanting a trail or stunt but when it is time for the rubber to hit the dirt (or wood) no one is to be found. Every once and awhile you will get a big turn out but then you won't see those folks for a year.

A local forum got all up in arms about some stunts that got built at Catawba. The thing went on for pages and pages about how cool it was and now folks were so willing to help out. But when it came time to stand up and say I'm there to help at a meeting (with over 100 folks) I think that 2 stood up. The screwy thing about it is that I suspect that the G-Vegas Respect Crew (I mean cult you freakin' wackos;) )would spend more time working on stuff here in Charlotte. How pathetic is that?

In the end it requires that a few (3 to 5) folks really want it and are willing to sacrifice a ton of time to get it done.

Then you add the preceived increased liability that stunts bring land owners you are already two strikes behind.

And for the last strike, the stunts that initially get built are some g-normus sketchy looking stunt that scares the ever living hell out of the land owner/manager. Catawba is a perfect example of this. If those stunts had been built 2 feet off the ground instead of 7 feet I don't think the parks would have blinked. Then the next stunt goes to 4 feet and so on. Get them use to the fact and that folks are being killed daily on them.

I overlooked the IMBA/Kona Freeride grants and those are all be awarded to groups that are building skills style stunts. Which is really where it has to start.

I agree. All of our stuff is ....bootlegged... I having access to a legal freeride park style place the size of catwaba would be amazing. Some of the stunts to me looked questionable to me for a big park that is used by everyone. (think teeter totter on up ramp) I did notice how everyone stood up to say they were into it, but didn't do much. It really is too bad, it had serious potential

And myself and the R3SP3CT KREW are almost always down for some work.

atbmx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
Ocean Springs, MS
The atbmx outlaw series is your chance to change riding in the South. Putting a twist on the traditional riding with jumps, bridges and more technical riding. Come join the fun at different spots in the South and make a difference. www.atbmx.com

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by atbmx
The atbmx outlaw series is your chance to change riding in the South. Putting a twist on the traditional riding with jumps, bridges and more technical riding. Come join the fun at different spots in the South and make a difference. www.atbmx.com
I've read your site like 3 times now and i still cant tell WTF ATBMX really is:confused:
Is it just freeride comps? Or races with stunts or what? Your definitions on the site are vague, yet interestingly fun sounding.

Could you elaborate:D

atbmx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
Ocean Springs, MS
ATBMX will feature 3 divisions, freestyle, racing and enduro. The freestyle will be dirt jumping or ramps, similar to any street or dirt jimping comp. The racing will be on bmx type tracks with added obstacles, similar to 4x or bmx. The enduro will be on trails in the woods with northshore type obstacles, much shorter than xc and more technical. Since we have no mountains in the South we use what we have to the fullest. Come join us.

Curiouscaptian01

It's not poo
Dec 1, 2003
California
sounds fun, but that is a long drive away, that is why we have to build stuff here. So after school we have something to do, instead of sittin round and wishing we had something to do. We stoped looking for places that were already built, and started building. If you want something near to you, your going to have to do the work. Just the way it works here at least.

atbmx

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
Ocean Springs, MS
That's right, dig and build. Some people bitch about not having a place to ride and some people build stuff to ride. Keep building and let us know and maybe we'll come ride your stuff. Come ride with us when you're on the Gulf Coast.