Quantcast

How come there aren't any decent shops in Seattle

Laughter

Chimp
Sep 20, 2005
Northwest
GHY's on third, right across from that tattoo shop that's been there forever.

From www.gohuckyourself.com:

Store Info
Phone

425-227-HUCK
Address

ghy Bikes
909 S. 3rd St.
Renton Wa. 98055
Hours

Monday 11-7
Wed-Fri 11-7
Sat & Sun 12-5

Stick that in your mapquest and smoke it... :)

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Im new to the scene but DHZ has treated me very well. They answer even my dumbest questions and are very nice about explaining the technology involved with the pricepoints of differnt bikes. Really helped my mechanical mind. I do order certain things I like offline knowing that to get "what I want" it would cost that shop more then what I can get it for offline. Offline is fine for tires or some random part. If the part is something that requires service or some answers to questions later. Then its LBS all the way.

I will pay topdollar for someone not trying to talk to me like im an idiot.

:thumbup: for downhillzone. I know there may be other great shops but this is just one that has been nice to me and let me gaze at some cool projects, point and ask questions.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
While we are bashing shops. I'm pretty pissed at Vashon Island Bicycles.

I asked Jeff to order me a spider about 3 weeks ago, and today he said "They said it was in the order, but they didn't send it!"

He also said "I didn't order it."

He also said "It should be here friday."

I never know what to beleive with him AGHGHGHG!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ioscope said:
While we are bashing shops. I'm pretty pissed at Vashon Island Bicycles.

I asked Jeff to order me a spider about 3 weeks ago, and today he said "They said it was in the order, but they didn't send it!"

He also said "I didn't order it."

He also said "It should be here friday."

I never know what to beleive with him AGHGHGHG!
:D haha small town bike shops.

With smaller shops that like to hold of until they get a few things to order so they can spread the shipping costs, ordering one piece of something doens't make a lot of sense. I had to be pretty vigilant at my LBS in college. It is a great shop but special orders were a test of patient. :)

We often got MTB buddies together and ordered via mail order if we wanted stuff that wasn't in stock and didn't want to wait 2-3 (or more) weeks.

Hey ioscope, I thought "islanders" are supposed to be more laid back? Chill man, chill. :) :cool:

On a side note: I order a replacement OEM mub flap for my RM250 MXr and it was in within a week of ordering. No shipping costs added. $12.50 for a chunk of authentic Suzuki plastic....He warned me it could be 7-10 working days but it was in in 5. Oh, Everett Power Sports was the shop. They were eager to order stuff if they didn't have it in stock. :thumb:

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Performance lost my special order for firmer springs in my Slider +. Of course they didn't tell me. I had to call them weeks later to find out.

The thing that kills me is that they don't even apologize. They act like I must be mistaken. Maybe I thought I placed an order, but I was just imagining it. They didn't say that, but that's how they act. :mumble:

Do they really think I'm going to forget that I drove to thier stupid store, talked with their tech about which part number I needed, and filled out a special order form.

Is operating a bike shop really that complex?:rolleyes:

All I can figure is it must be hard to find good help at the wages they have to pay.:think:

Jun 18, 2004
Big B said:
Performance lost my special order for firmer springs in my Slider +. Of course they didn't tell me. I had to call them weeks later to find out.

The thing that kills me is that they don't even apologize. They act like I must be mistaken. Maybe I thought I placed an order, but I was just imagining it. They didn't say that, but that's how they act. :mumble:

Do they really think I'm going to forget that I drove to thier stupid store, talked with their tech about which part number I needed, and filled out a special order form.

Is operating a bike shop really that complex?:rolleyes:

All I can figure is it must be hard to find good help at the wages they have to pay.:think:
That's why they call it the WallMart of Bicycles...

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I should mention that the shop I bought my AC'1 from has always been helpful. They have had the occasional incompotent employee from time to time, but overall they are a great shop.

They carry Santa Cruz, Specialized and Giant, and have a good track record with custom orders. Lots of BMX stuff too.

Check them out if your ever in North or South Everett. They're called Bicycle Centers of Everett.

They don't have a website, which is odd this day and age. They are professional and have a decent selection of stuff, like Gregg's in Greenlake.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
:mumble: Did you know that Dex online has 181 shops between Olympia - Lynwood Snoqualmie to Bainbridge. I don't think you could find that sort of selection in that small of a space any place in the country. We should stop bitching.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Pedal Dynamics is pretty decent. Good service anyway. I have had good work done at DHZone, but I can do without the attitude. By the way, what is up with bike shops that have attitude? Working at a bike shop does not make you some sort of cool guy. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the work these guys do, but attitude usually is a deal breaker for me. If I get attitude, they will never get a dime out of me again. It kind of remindes me of this RC car shop I went into one time, all of the guysworking were a bunch of geeks and they were pulling attitude on customers. WTF? Many bike shop guys are the same...Not all though. Hats off to shops like fluidride, GHY, Pedal Dynamics, etc.-Attitude free. And don't forget, the only people that think Mountain Biking is cool are Mountain bikers.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Fluidride is good and they def know their bikes but it is very SMALL.....hopefully Simon will be getting larger space soon but they do stock a lot of high end stuff which is nice.....I have had good luch at montlake with a couple of the mechanics and they have 24 hour turn around if you have to leave it...at Greggs (which I have not had good experience with) turn around on a bike there can be two weeks!

Other than that best luch has been with on-line and then do it myself

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Snacks said:
Yes it does!

Here's another question: How come no shops in the area are getting behind The Pass opening up? How come no shops have contacted The Pass about moving towards getting them open for summer riding?

Do you know that no shop has gotten behind this effort for fact? I have been told by at least one shop owner that he tried to get the pass on track with this idea. Myself, I worked there last winter and had this conversation with a couple of the upper managment. Wow, if there was ever a lack of vision in an organization, it's there. I believe that it's going to take a lot of illegal riding of the old trails that are there, which means risking tickets and such to get them to realize that there is something there to tap into. But that doesn't mean they know how to do it right.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
SeaPig said:
I believe that it's going to take a lot of illegal riding of the old trails that are there, which means risking tickets and such to get them to realize that there is something there to tap into.
There's a great idea!! My experience has been illegal riding will eventually get places shut down even more. If you want them to really not like DH'ers and say no forever....illegally ride on!:bomb:

But this conversation should be in another thread. This is the two year old "no decent bike shops" thread. Continue with the dead horse beating please.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
riverside73 said:
There's a great idea!! My experience has been illegal riding will eventually get places shut down even more. If you want them to really not like DH'ers and say no forever....illegally ride on!:bomb:

But this conversation should be in another thread. This is the two year old "no decent bike shops" thread. Continue with the dead horse beating please.

Well I'll jump to that thread when someone makes the jump, but as in a normal conversation this is a related thread. Bike shops can do more to get more riding available to us. As to your experience, I would have concured with that previous to something I just learned. Illegal riding forces land management to talk with stewardship organizations. Please understand, I never advocate destroying property or forest for our sport. I'm only saying that they don't know of the need and think they can't make money by openning the pass. The only way to show them, in my book, is to ride the pass. Show them we want to ride there. They'll then think about openning it up, if they feel there is a demand.

Oh, about the bike shop suck thread. I don't think it's cool to trash bike shops online. How do we know that you're not a stupid customer.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
SeaPig said:
Do you know that no shop has gotten behind this effort for fact? I have been told by at least one shop owner that he tried to get the pass on track with this idea. Myself, I worked there last winter and had this conversation with a couple of the upper managment. Wow, if there was ever a lack of vision in an organization, it's there. I believe that it's going to take a lot of illegal riding of the old trails that are there, which means risking tickets and such to get them to realize that there is something there to tap into. But that doesn't mean they know how to do it right.
Yes, I do know one shop owner working with a local riding club has tried to get the Pass to look at bikes again to no avil.

The Pass will never profit with summer ops. if they don't make it a family friendly destination resort.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
SeaPig said:
Well I'll jump to that thread when someone makes the jump, but as in a normal conversation this is a related thread. Bike shops can do more to get more riding available to us. As to your experience, I would have concured with that previous to something I just learned. Illegal riding forces land management to talk with stewardship organizations. Please understand, I never advocate destroying property or forest for our sport. I'm only saying that they don't know of the need and think they can't make money by openning the pass. The only way to show them, in my book, is to ride the pass. Show them we want to ride there. They'll then think about openning it up, if they feel there is a demand.

Oh, about the bike shop suck thread. I don't think it's cool to trash bike shops online. How do we know that you're not a stupid customer.
The problem is mangager generally go to the path of least hassel. It is easier to shut it down than open it up for operation. Poaching the trails when it is closed does not start up dialogue...it has the oposite effect, it closes talks down.

Opening dialogue happens when a group approaches another with an idea....a well thought out and organized idea.:clue:

"Hey you should run lifts" is not a well thought out plan. "Hey we are tresspassing, you should run lifts" is also not a well thought out plan.

Most often in the world of land management and poaching....the easiest option is to shut it down and have the Sherrif sit out and write citations.

Rhino

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
If everyone wasn't busy bashing the DHZ you would have noticed they(the only shop I know of) had a petition for Snocrummy on their display case for at least a year.

Seapig, your last sentence made way too much sense.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Bullitrider said:
If everyone wasn't busy bashing the DHZ you would have noticed they(the only shop I know of) had a petition for Snocrummy on their display case for at least a year.
No, they aren't the only shop.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
This crap is getting old! get a life and go ride your F'N bike!
If you dont like a shop, dont go there! how hard is it?
Maybe it's YOU and not the shop? I've NEVER had any problems with any shops.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
RhinofromWA said:
The problem is mangager generally go to the path of least hassel. It is easier to shut it down than open it up for operation. Poaching the trails when it is closed does not start up dialogue...it has the oposite effect, it closes talks down.

Opening dialogue happens when a group approaches another with an idea....a well thought out and organized idea.:clue:

"Hey you should run lifts" is not a well thought out plan. "Hey we are tresspassing, you should run lifts" is also not a well thought out plan.

Most often in the world of land management and poaching....the easiest option is to shut it down and have the Sherrif sit out and write citations.

Rhino
I am not standing here saying my idea is the only right idea. I'm saying that your let's do it right idea hasn't worked and recently while working on Bones Over Metal I had an interview with a person (name will not be put on this thread because many of you are too quick **** out info without learning more about it first) who's job has been trail availability and advocay. It was his idea that the illegal rider does have a place in this problem. They push the envelope. He wasn't trying to advocate buidling crap all over the place or getting yourself arrested or being tackless and getting a trail closed down. I wasn't either. What I am trying to say is if you wait for the Pass to wake up to the need then you'll never get it. We have to be in their face a lot more. Including writing letters to Booth Creek. Or, just give up.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Certified Drunk said:
This crap is getting old! get a life and go ride your F'N bike!
If you dont like a shop, dont go there! how hard is it?
Maybe it's YOU and not the shop? I've NEVER had any problems with any shops.
And the last time you rode your bike was........:p

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
SeaPig said:
He wasn't trying to advocate buidling crap all over the place or getting yourself arrested or being tackless and getting a trail closed down. I wasn't either. What I am trying to say is if you wait for the Pass to wake up to the need then you'll never get it. We have to be in their face a lot more. Including writing letters to Booth Creek. Or, just give up.
You see I partially agree with you, to make something happen you need contact with the right people. Be active and positive.

But pissing them off is counter productive and hurts your end goal. That is not the in their face time you need or want while working with a group that is slow to warm up to an idea. If I was in that position it would show me a bunch of dissrespectful yahoos that I wouldn't want to cater to for a business. Especially if that is the main exposure to group wanting me to work to provide them riding oportunities. Not the best example really. But then that is my own person feelings and a MTB recreationist and long time dirt bike rider....not that of a recreation site promotor.