Quantcast

How come there aren't any decent shops in Seattle

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
buildyourown said:
You get the award for the longest sentence ever.

:D

in order for that to be a sentence though, he has to finish it with a period or something...as it stands, he can continue that unreadable sentence through a few other posts... :help:

DHBear

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
Since we are being honest PECKERWOOD, I think the situation you speak of is special. It was you and you alone. You did get treated special. It is that simple.
The DHZ is a great shop. They have more knowledge than any other shop in the Seattle area regarding DH & FR. Why do you suppose a great many of Seattles best riders, racers, freeriders and trail builders have been associated with the DHZ over time? Darin / Scott have seen it all. Racing Pro DH on glorified XC bikes to propedal multi pivots, 2" Marzocchi forks to 12" Avy's. Yes it took me a long time to get to know them. But it took me a long time to both learn how to ride and what the F*** I am talking about when it comes to my bike and what I want. As far as getting deals from local bike shops, all of you need to ask yourselves a couple of questions, "DO I DESERVE IT, WHAT HAVE I DONE FOR THEM AND HOW LOYAL AM I." If your answers are any of the following: "I am a great guy", "I spent a lot of money", "I whore my business to the cheapest bidder", you should really keep practicing becouse you had better be as good as Brian Lopes if you are going to have the same attitude. These shops and shops like the DHZ may give deals to people but you are not born to get a deal. You need to earn it every day. Than if you get a deal, you need to earn it again and represent. Just look at half of the people on this thread. Bitching about local shops like the DHZ and I have seen, and know well, that the DHZ has helped a lot of you out in some way at least once. But still every nobody wants to be treated like a somebody for doing nothing, yet you still get on the net and "bash". Just becouse you want a $5000 bike and only have $4000, does not mean that the DHZ or any other local shop needs to help you. What it means is you can only spend $4000. If you want to buy it cheap over the internet and it is a good deal fine. When it breaks, and it will, you can mail it back and see if the service matches the price. I have seen Scott (DHZ) work until 2 am to have bikes ready for you and I so we can ride on the weekend. Do you honestly think the hourly enployees at Supergo are going to even consider doing that. NO!!! Go in sit down with your local shop and get to know them. Not just once but once every couple of weeks. That is the great thing about local shops, you can get to know them. I will keep representing who and what I believe in & getting the service and knowledge I pay for and it will be from the DHZ.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
DHBear said:
Since we are being honest PECKERWOOD, I think the situation you speak of is special. It was you and you alone. You did get treated special. It is that simple.
The DHZ is a great shop. They have more knowledge than any other shop in the Seattle area regarding DH & FR. Why do you suppose a great many of Seattles best riders, racers, freeriders and trail builders have been associated with the DHZ over time? Darin / Scott have seen it all. Racing Pro DH on glorified XC bikes to propedal multi pivots, 2" Marzocchi forks to 12" Avy's. Yes it took me a long time to get to know them. But it took me a long time to both learn how to ride and what the F*** I am talking about when it comes to my bike and what I want. As far as getting deals from local bike shops, all of you need to ask yourselves a couple of questions, "DO I DESERVE IT, WHAT HAVE I DONE FOR THEM AND HOW LOYAL AM I." If your answers are any of the following: "I am a great guy", "I spent a lot of money", "I whore my business to the cheapest bidder", you should really keep practicing becouse you had better be as good as Brian Lopes if you are going to have the same attitude. These shops and shops like the DHZ may give deals to people but you are not born to get a deal. You need to earn it every day. Than if you get a deal, you need to earn it again and represent. Just look at half of the people on this thread. Bitching about local shops like the DHZ and I have seen, and know well, that the DHZ has helped a lot of you out in some way at least once. But still every nobody wants to be treated like a somebody for doing nothing, yet you still get on the net and "bash". Just becouse you want a $5000 bike and only have $4000, does not mean that the DHZ or any other local shop needs to help you. What it means is you can only spend $4000. If you want to buy it cheap over the internet and it is a good deal fine. When it breaks, and it will, you can mail it back and see if the service matches the price. I have seen Scott (DHZ) work until 2 am to have bikes ready for you and I so we can ride on the weekend. Do you honestly think the hourly enployees at Supergo are going to even consider doing that. NO!!! Go in sit down with your local shop and get to know them. Not just once but once every couple of weeks. That is the great thing about local shops, you can get to know them. I will keep representing who and what I believe in & getting the service and knowledge I pay for and it will be from the DHZ.

amen!

exactly the point i was trying to get across in another post :)

its not just dhz that has been branded with being rude to customers...so they dont get all the credit :)

many times I have heard people bitch and complain about how the guys at greggs in bellevue has an elitest attitude, or the guys in greggs could care less...about how ben@unreal can be a dick...the list goes on...

really i guess it comes down to who works best for/with you. since we all have different personalities, we all cant go to the same shops and get the same reaction/response.

i met a guy outside of safeway in the udistrict who saw my nsmb hoodie and asked me if i went to dhz..he said..and i quote "i will only get my wheels built there. I trust any wheel from them enough to put my own mother on them". Customer for life? Yeah i think so.

many times I have heard about how horrible the prices are at dhz...if the internet didnt exist for online buying, they wouldnt be so horrible, now would they? No local shop, be it greggs, center cycles, dhz, etc, can compete with an e-business...its impossible. people need to realize this and get over it.

ive had my issues with darren; most were caused by me, others because of a bad first impression...but he seemed like a guy who genuinely cared about the culture he was part of...despite all the drama and the near ass-kicking i got :) he still put his hand out to shake, and offered his shop services to me if I never needed them. Bad guy? Nah. Misunderstood and passionate guy? Yeah.

Point? Give the local guys your business and forget about the internet deals when shopping locally...you are paying a little more to keep your local scene around...definitely a worthwhile investment!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i don't know about the rest of you, but i don't want a "relationship" with a shop, and don't want to have to prove my loyalty every day. the deal is that i go in there, expect to be treated courteously, pay a fair price (not grossly inflated by buddy deals), and receive good service. it's not rocket science, and blaming those who aren't in your clique for not supporting your favorite shop is ridiculous in my opinion.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Toshi said:
i don't know about the rest of you, but i don't want a "relationship" with a shop, and don't want to have to prove my loyalty every day. the deal is that i go in there, expect to be treated courteously, pay a fair price (not grossly inflated by buddy deals), and receive good service. it's not rocket science, and blaming those who aren't in your clique for not supporting your favorite shop is ridiculous in my opinion.

:stupid:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Toshi said:
word.
:thumb:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Sigh.... people just don't get it. I had NO problem paying for stuff. I make plenty of money to afford a DH bike. I never had any problem with the cost of anything. Stuff costs what it costs.

I never asked for a "deal" from them. When I started getting parts and stuff from Dirtworld and DHNW....they were none to happy.

I have never EVER had an issue with their prices. They absolutely have every right to earn a living. But I also have every right to take my business wherever I damned well like. Nobody OWES them their business...

Again, with the exception of Scott, DHZ likes...or almost NEEDS to have their asses kissed. If you're not willing to, then well...

Nice first post BTW......

Anyway.... j'm'en fous......

- Peckerwood Extra-ordinaire

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Toshi said:

I've always liked you........

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Toshi said:
Horray!

Thats why i get all my own work done at this guys shop.... (see pics), and if i get bad service done i can only blame myself...

really though, i cant say ive ever bought anything from DHZ, not because of any of the stories ive herd of forgetful service, or rude CS, but mostly because its far from where i live. The few times i did shop in the area they wernt open and all i needed was a seatpost clamp since turner doesnt supply QR... Although, since i asked a salesperson who didnt know jack, i had to make 2 trips because i didnt check for myself to see if it fit. The next time up there i just stopped in and exchanged it.

We need team shirts that say "internet DH'er", that way we can instantly be identified......

Attachments

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
oly said:
Horray!

Thats why i get all my own work done at this guys shop.... (see pics), and if i get bad service done i can only blame myself...
Double Word.

the shop I take my stuff to has the same vice too! (no easter basket though....:))

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
oly said:
Horray!

really though, i cant say ive ever bought anything from DHZ, not because of any of the stories ive herd of forgetful service, or rude CS, but mostly because its far from where i live. The few times i did shop in the area they wernt open and all i needed was a seatpost clamp since turner doesnt supply QR... Although, since i asked a salesperson who didnt know jack, i had to make 2 trips because i didnt check for myself to see if it fit. The next time up there i just stopped in and exchanged it.

We need team shirts that say "internet DH'er", that way we can instantly be identified......
That's a sweet shop Oly.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
So.... can this thread die already??? [edit]I know it won't[/edit]

Bottom line - with any shop, don't believe what you here and read unless its from someone you trust and know won't be a crybaby because someone didn't come at them ala Les Scwab as soon as they walked through the door.
If you have a question about a shop, go in and see for yourself. If you don't like their service, prices or attitude there are a host of other shops locally that want your business.

As far as pricing goes, by it where you get it cheapest. Keep in mind that GENERALY speaking, as you spend more time in a shop (read more $) you'll probably start getting things for a better price. If you walk into a shop with the attitude that you know so-and-so gets something for this price, you should get the same you will probably get an attitude, especialy from a smaller shop.
Also, don't feel like your getting ripped off or treated unfairly by a shop if you get parts from sponsor deal and the shop charges you retail. They are a RETAIL establishment.

As for peckerwood, I think you got stigmatized because of something to do with the internet, not neccessarily where you bought things at. Although when all was said and done it didn't help.
Was it fair that you got "branded"? Probably not, but by now its kind of a moot point. What are you going to do?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Toshi said:
My perspective on what customers want is slightly different. Most of the people I deal with are newbies in some regard. Sometimes it is a mtn biker who is getting his first road bike, but most of our customers are people without extensive knowledge and contacts, and this could be their first good bike.

For most of our customer base, they receive standard retail pricing. And many of these customers receive better service than "friends of the shop". The friends you can put off and they still come back.

However, would the RM'ers be satisfied with standard retail pricing? This is higher than internet pricing or the special deals which come with social networking, sponsorship, etc.

Fair is a funny word. Ask the owner of my shop what he thinks is fair pricing, and he tells you he is not a "discounter". It is not competitive with Puperpo, but he cannot compete with the Internet.

Frankly, I give special deals to the people I like: the regulars who I know by name. Keep in mind that standard retail is the standard, not the discount I give to the friends of the shop. Not that you have to be my best friend to get a deal. One guy just comes in every month, and we have given him some discounts.

It is hard to expect a special deal without some loyalty to a shop. One time someone called me on the phone asking to beat a price that another shop gave him on a Niterider. I told him I would match it, but the stranger on the phone wanted me to do better. I thought it was insulting as well as bad business, and I told him I do not bargain on the telephone (also the price I said I would match was only half the normal markup. Any lower and I would be selling for almost no profit).

My service is the same for everyone. I might build a wheel for a friend after hours, but that is my time, not the shop's. But I have done some major work for strangers who needed it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I should also point out that I expect people to buy from the internet. Some of their pricing I could never match, or they might some item in stock which we would not. There is one item from Performance/Puperpo which I have never seen cheaper, even at wholesale: their 2 bike stand. I have two of them in my apartment.

But to come in as a stranger and expect internet pricing, the best I can do is be polite.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
trailhacker said:
As for peckerwood, I think you got stigmatized because of something to do with the internet, not neccessarily where you bought things at. Although when all was said and done it didn't help.
Was it fair that you got "branded"? Probably not, but by now its kind of a moot point. What are you going to do?

Indeed....I believe there was one episode in particular that involved my 2nd bike. All I did was ask a question out of sheer naiveté. I truly didn't know whether the situation would put DHZ in a bad spot. So I asked. What a mistake that was. I tried to reinforce that I was merely ASKING. I was not trying to be a dick. I never went through with it. But the universe apparently nearly collapsed.

And I'm not sure how this worked, but I traded a brand new Monster T for a new, (but previous model year) Boxxer. He gave me wholesale for the Monster, and charged me full retail for the Boxxer. So be it...

But I must admit...I appreciate your understanding..

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I remember one particular story. I actually asked the DHZ where a particular shop was so I could by a frame there. They flipped me some s**t but still told me. Even after that they've been totally cool. I'm not a pro e-dher so I still ask a lot of stupid questions, they still flip s**t and I flip it right back. It's all good. Really I think alot of people just need to grow thicker skin. If you wanna have a love-in move to Eugene. For a "core" group of riders there sure are alot of overly-sensitive nancy-boys out there. Feel free to rip me. I can take it.

Bullitrider said:
I remember one particular story. I actually asked the DHZ where a particular shop was so I could by a frame there. They flipped me some s**t but still told me. Even after that they've been totally cool. I'm not a pro e-dher so I still ask a lot of stupid questions, they still flip s**t and I flip it right back. It's all good. Really I think alot of people just need to grow thicker skin. If you wanna have a love-in move to Eugene. For a "core" group of riders there sure are alot of overly-sensitive nancy-boys out there. Feel free to rip me. I can take it.

i agree, people need to grow thicker skin they are good guys. They mean wel, some people cant handle other peoples humor cause they never get off the internet and have no people skilzz :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Horray!

Oly your shop is amazing.....

"Got spare parts?"

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ok, so we all know this thread needs to die, but I started it so I can continue it.

I think I owe the guys at DHZ an apology. I wasn't trying to single out any shops and my comment about them over charging me was completely off base. I think I got sour on there pricing when I was new to DH and had been use to getting stuff at wholesale. I wasn't use to how expensive DH parts can be, much less retail. In hind site, DHZ has always charged me a fair price.

I just returned from a shopping trip. i tryed on pads at superho and then DHZ. DHZ had a better selection of GOOD pads and the prices where comparable. (maybe even better if you consider the quality) Superho had POS fox pads in limited sizes and DHZ had a full selection of Raceface, Dianese and Hoots in all the sizes. They also had these pimp new Troy Lee gloves that I had been looking for, for the same price as mail order.

So maybe a little competition is improving the breed. I'm sure if you guys had been open on sunday instead of riding your silly bikes, I wouldn't have ever started this thread. ;)

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Supergo is cheap but for service or bike repair I dont find them that good. Anytime I need a freeride part like bolts for mrp or even a downhill tube they dont have it. When I bring my 243. or azonic eliminator in there they are clueless, they look at them like they have never seen a bike like it before. Its seams to be getting worse since performance bought out supergo.

I miss my shop in portland, cyclepath, cheap parts, good repair guy that really knows how to work on downhill/freeride bike. Here in seattle I go to supergo for more expensive parts and for repair and hard to find freeride parts I go to DHZ, fluidride, ghy, or recycled cycles. I wish you could get good service for freeride bikes and cheap parts in one store tough. DHZ needs to sell on the internet if they want to survive, tuff to compete otherwise.

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Laughter said:
GHY/AJ was very cool to me, and Zeb(?) at Fluidride was also super helpful. I'd definitely recommend either place anyday!

Daniel
I second this opinion! AJ is a totally cool guy and their shop has some stuff you probably wouldn't find elsewhere. If you want some super mech. work done though I would have to recommend Zeb at Fluidride. He's definately the fastest tire changer I've ever seen and he's worked on some pretty famous riders bikes.

Oh, and I have to defend Center Cycle, sometimes it's the hired employees who can make a shop look bad. Recently they've had a few not-so-great ones.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oxygen_77 said:
If you want some super mech. work done though I would have to recommend Zeb at Fluidride. He's definately the fastest tire changer I've ever seen and he's worked on some pretty famous riders bikes.
I third this opinion:) Zeb rocks my bike's world:love:

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
i like fluidride, everything they have ever done (even before zeb started working there) has worked with no issues. they have also helped me out when i broke my bike and needed a new one.

and on top of that, simon is a good guy

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
go to bike sport its in ballard 3 outa the 5 guys that work there wil know what your talking about b/c there free riders the other two are the boses rodies. they may not have it in stock but they can order it there a mom and pop shop. support your local bike shop

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
pnj said:
greggs takes the cake for employees that don't know much. but then again, just about every shop I've been in I've heard employees say some really dumb stuff.

fortunately for me, I don't ride often enough to break stuff so that I have to replace it so I don't have to go into bike stores very often.

as much as I enjoy bikes, I hate going into bike shops.....
Pat, you are one of the few riders I have known that for as long as you have been riding it's amazing you have never worked in a shop.

On an off note why does my counter say 203 post? It sould be like 2k?