Quantcast

How come TREK wasn't at Interbike?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,411
0
SF
With no inside knowledge with Trek, I know they have their own dealer conferences, so possibly they feel they have no need to show off their wares to the general public.

Either that or their bikes suck.
 

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
1,910
0
Wooo Tulips!!!!
kinghami3 said:
Seems kind of stuck up, no sense of business community like the smaller shops.
Websters definition:
Trek:
no sense of business community like the smaller shops

also see: Devil, Evil, Capitalism, The Man
 

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
5,440
16
High(ts) Htown
...A new era in hardtail performance
One notable absence from this year's Interbike exhibition is Trek. The company took the opportunity to gather industry journalists at the 2005 US National Mountain Bike Championships in Mammoth Mountain, California and unveil an evolution in their hardtail mountain bike line. Cyclingnews' Steve Medcroft was there to see the new 9.9, which replaces Trek's OCLV carbon honeycomb-based 9.8...
 

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
11,818
1
Slacking at work
Chris King hasn't been to Interbike in forever. Doesn't seem to be hurting them much. Interbike is just a big party. Not that there's anything wrong with a big party :D
 

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
13,965
35
I think it's because Interbike is the place where new and exciting things are unveiled.

Hence, no reason for Trek to go.
 

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
24,340
3,377
In my pants
Trek doesn't go to interbike because they do in fact have their own dealer invitational where they show off the goods. I guess with lance armstrong on your bikes, they don't feel like they need to care if they get any new dealer contracts.

I found this out because I did want to see their new DH bike and asked the same question. Their new session bikes are on par with anything anyone else is making and that's why I was curious about the new big rig. It also has a somewhat proprietary 3.5" stroke shock to keep a decent leverage ratio at 10" of travel. So yes, they are doing something new worth looking at.
 

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
209
0
Come on guys, trek is a nice bike if you dish out the money. That 4500 frame is the same thing as a hardrock comp. That's why it is suffering. I have riden all the carbon fiber and ZR9000 bikes trek produces and they are awesome. Their frame building process on carbon fiber frames is better than most anything out there. I have taken a trip to their factory and on the carbon fiber frames they leave no excess resine, not bladders, and every carbon fiber frame is handbuilt. Plus they do it less than most anyone else. Give them a chance please.
 

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15,243
0
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing less of the big boys at interbike. They all of their own dealer meetings where they control the agenda, schedule and what you see. They don't have to compete for time with Las Vegas and 100 other vendors. For them its cost benefit thing. The smaller manufacturers will still go as its a better deal for them. That being said Turner nor Yeti had indoor booths are interbike (or at least that's what I'm reading).

I'd be interested to find out exactly how much in orders are actually placed at interbike or within the 2 weeks of interbike.
 
Sep 15, 2005
3
0
Denver, CO
Yeti was laying low due to the growing number of unsatisfied customers (check on the 575 problems) and poor customer service. The peasants have torches and are coming to burn them out.
 

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
11,818
1
Slacking at work
Rocky Mtn Rhino said:
Yeti was laying low due to the growing number of unsatisfied customers (check on the 575 problems) and poor customer service. The peasants have torches and are coming to burn them out.
Odd, I've never heard of a single 575 problem, and there are TONS of them on the trails here.
 

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
11,818
1
Slacking at work
Ha, funny, I just googled "yeti 575 problems" and all the results were stuff like "I've taken my Yeti 575 off xx drops with no problems" :D
 

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15,243
0
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Echo said:
Odd, I've never heard of a single 575 problem, and there are TONS of them on the trails here.
He posted on MTBR about some vague pivot problem. Even MTBR only has a couple of folks talking about problems.

I do know of one broken 575 but that was taking it off a 12' drop. They replaced it under warranty.
 

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
11,818
1
Slacking at work
I just looked at the reviews on emptybeer. Not that those reviews make it a good bike. But out of like 50 reviews, not a single negative comment about the frame.
 

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
7,329
1
Over there somewhere.
aggrorider said:
Come on guys, trek is a nice bike if you dish out the money. That 4500 frame is the same thing as a hardrock comp. That's why it is suffering. I have riden all the carbon fiber and ZR9000 bikes trek produces and they are awesome. Their frame building process on carbon fiber frames is better than most anything out there. I have taken a trip to their factory and on the carbon fiber frames they leave no excess resine, not bladders, and every carbon fiber frame is handbuilt. Plus they do it less than most anyone else. Give them a chance please.
There is a huge difference between the hardrock and the 4500, specialized actually makes improvements each year to the hardrock. Trek, hasn't changed the 4500 since mtb's switched to 1_1/8 threadless. The color changes are a moot point as well.

The sessions are nice, but they ditch the hardtail that they actually got right, and replace it with some hideous POS called the Jack.
 

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
5,100
0
Sand, CA
so anyone know the real reason, because i would have liked to see the session 10 in person.
 

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
15,243
0
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
DHS said:
so anyone know the real reason, because i would have liked to see the session 10 in person.
yes....
They all of their own dealer meetings where they control the agenda, schedule and what you see. They don't have to compete for time with Las Vegas and 100 other vendors. So why spend the additional money to take a huge booth and staff to interbike?
 

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
1,478
0
South Bend
DRB said:
yes....
They all of their own dealer meetings where they control the agenda, schedule and what you see. They don't have to compete for time with Las Vegas and 100 other vendors. So why spend the additional money to take a huge booth and staff to interbike?
DRB is right on the money, they have it in Wis. in early Sept, and its for the entire Trek Family (Fisher,Klein,Lemond & Bontrager).
The spend a fortune on this event, and being that the bring in all their dealers, there is no desire to spend excess money doing interbike.
Trek realizes that interbike is a big deal but it's like the IFC channel, mainstream doesn't sell well there.