How dead am I?

On a scale of one to dead

• Total voters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On my new road bike, I had to use centerlock adapters, because fun. I grabbed some generic taiwan/American Classic ones that fit 15/20mm external BB type lockrings. I thought everything was good ( a little play when rocking back and forth, but hey) but that turns out not to be the case- my front adapter lockring was rubbing on my fork. I need to switch to either a centerlock rotor, which MIGHT work (it works for a shimano rotor) or a new adapter. Luckily, I found a shimano lockring in my box-o-parts, but unfortunately it's a bit smaller than the other one.

Long story short- how dead am I if I run this lockring on my front rotor:

Front-

Rear-

I am slightly concerned as the smaller lockring doesn't cover the same amount of rotor as the original, however it does cover the bottom of the tabs so everything is locked in place. I figure with the alloy carrier, good contact with the tabs, and only slightly reduced coverage, I should be OK. I probably trust this setup more than a weird chinese ASHIMA adapter, which may be the second choice....or a shimano RTAD10, if I can find one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had to use centerlock adapters
did you really tho?

don't have experience with adapters, as i've never had the need for them. but if you can hit the torque spec, there's no play or interference, and they don't come loose i don't see why it would be a problem. just keep an eye on it at first.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
did you really tho?

don't have experience with adapters, as i've never had the need for them. but if you can hit the torque spec, there's no play or interference, and they don't come loose i don't see why it would be a problem. just keep an eye on it at first.
well, I purchased wheels that came centerlock only, and a build kit that came with $70 6-bolt rotors. So I could try and sell the rotors and buy some centerlock ones, but they are $110 each, or I could buy some non-brand ones for $60. I spent $14 on the adapters i have, so I figured that would be the wisest option. So no, I didn't have to, I could have spent $240 to do it right, but fuck that noise.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fair enough. what rotors do you need that are $110 ea? i just googled and the most expensive sram centerlock rotor they had was $80.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fair enough. what rotors do you need that are $110 ea? i just googled and the most expensive sram centerlock rotor they had was $80.
This is what I need, in 160mm... $105 on Jenson.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
or course sram wants you to buy the most expensive rotor.
yeah I'm not thrilled about it. I'd like to be matchy matchy, but I can certainly run some cheap tektros or shimano rotors. I'd just hate to have these fancy doodads sit in a box. I test fit an old shimano centerlock rotor and it worked fine even with the larger lockring, but I got heat even on ridemonkey for my saddle not matching my bottle cages.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Slight rubbing on a carbon fork?
whats the worst that could happen?
yeah it was making a howling sound oddly reminiscent of brake pad rub. Left a little line on the fork leg where it rubbed. Don't worry- I'll make a post about it in a few hours.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah I'm not thrilled about it. I'd like to be matchy matchy, but I can certainly run some cheap tektros or shimano rotors. I'd just hate to have these fancy doodads sit in a box. I test fit an old shimano centerlock rotor and it worked fine even with the larger lockring, but I got heat even on ridemonkey for my saddle not matching my bottle cages.
fair enough.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Where's the option for buy the build kit with the centerlock rotors instead?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Are the parts needed just to check installation? Centerlock adapters of a couple different type are in some parts bins and I'm sure another lock ring is around.
Yeah I'd have to find a bike shop that's local and has the parts I need to test fit...like a black lockring (whatever model that is) and a low-profile adapter. That's a big ask for a small, local shop, and the big shitty ones are a little too big and formal to just stroll up and say "hey you got one of these? Can I play with it for five minutes?". There is a local shop I'm trying to give my money to, so maybe I can duck out there this weekend and see what they say.

I do have multiple options to correct the problem- I have brand new (non-spider) rotors sitting in a box that will fit with the current adapters. I have a centerlock rotor that will work with the high-profile lockring (and certainly with the low-profile one). I'd just love to not have to buy any more shit, unless it's a sub $20 part to get these rotors to work. Otherwise I'd rather just spring for some Ultegra rotors and sell these for $60.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do you have lockrings for them? Those are the same as what I have, although the modern DT lockring is narrower than the ones I have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't believe you build a blinged bougie- ass bike like this then fuck around with of all things your BRAKES.

Buy the correct rotors.
LEL don't you know how I roll by now? I bought the groupset second hand, the frame was an ex demo, the wheels were from chainreactioncycles, the bars from a german distro that knocked $100 off the MSRP.

I'm not going to apologize for trying to run the rotors that came with the groupset I bought. I'd like to make sure the setup is safe, and that's why I'm asking. I'm not willing to buy the most expensive center lock rotors made just to match- I'll find an alternative instead.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Muddy wins a custom title. My bike is rub free with a proper sized lockring on it. I can brake easy and have successfully survived bike maintenance to maintain another day. Thanks dude.