Quantcast

How did you quit smoking?

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I have to quit smoking and haven't been able to so far. I've tried the patch and that didn't work. Any tips that have worked for others would be appreciated.

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
i have a question and im not starting an argument but why do people smoke i mean you know its bad for you and that it knocks years of your life yet people still smoke.

Thankyou jason

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I stopped buying them. That seemed to work for me. I haven't smoked (or bought any) since this time 7 years ago.

Suck it up, princess. It's ugly, but I smoked for 12 years. You can do it if you put your mind to it.

Good luck with that, it's well worth it.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
^^^ Said I was going to quit, so I threw out the 1/2 pack I had left and never smoked again. That was about 12 years ago - never went back.

If you want to quit bad enough - you can and will.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
i have a question and im not starting an argument but why do people smoke i mean you know its bad for you and that it knocks years of your life yet people still smoke.

Thankyou jason
Can't really answer that. Why do we do a lot of things we do even though we know it's bad? Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I just decided one day that I was done with it. It was an easy decision for me, I've never regretted it, and I've never had the urge to smoke cigarettes since.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
There is a ballot measure here in CA that will add $2.60 excise tax per pack, bringing the price to about $7.00 per pack. That might help.

I think I'm going to talk to my Dr. about a new pill thats supposed to kill the urge. Cold turkey hasn't worked for me before.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
i thought it was are age limit is 16 at the moment but there planning to put it up to 18 in a couple of years
It's kinda been enforced the last 20 years or so. I remember when I started High School, you could smoke on campus as a freshman, so that's like 14 or something. Plus we had cigarette vending machines, those are long gone. They now check Id's for cigarettes.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I was forced to go cold turkey once (due to being laid up after surgery) and within about 3 months I was smoking again thanks to being around certain situations (partying, studying with fellow smokers, etc.)

The magic combination for me was getting the flu so I had no desire to smoke and then having a reason not to smoke when I was most vulnerable...aka - while drinking. I was dating a guy who wasn't crazy about the fact that I smoked so I was nice and didn't light up while around him. Going out drinking with him was the only way I would not smoke in that situation so I was finally able to gain control that situation. The other thing I did was start working out regularly....I had to channel all the excess jitters somewhere and that helped do the trick. It's tough and you may falter a few times, but stick with it. Try to figure out your most vulnerable trigger situations and find something to divert your attention. The first few weeks you'll likely be grumpy, pissy, and moody...but the payoff is worth it in the end. Good luck!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How to stop smoking in three easy steps:

1. Stop smoking.
  2. Don't smoke.
  3. Keep not smoking.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
How to stop smoking in three easy steps:

1. Stop smoking.
  2. Don't smoke.
  3. Keep not smoking.

BTW - this works. I smoked for 14 years. I was raised by smokers. I have many friends who smoke.

The only thing to do is stop being a pussy and stop lying to yourself and just quit. Stop smoking. Don't start again. If you try, you fail.

Do or do not - there is no try.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
BTW - this works. I smoked for 14 years. I was raised by smokers. I have many friends who smoke.

The only thing to do is stop being a pussy and stop lying to yourself and just quit. Stop smoking. Don't start again. If you try, you fail.

Do or do not - there is no try.
Thank you, oh wise Yoda. To heart, your sayings I take :biggrin:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I had to have a multi pronged attack to quit.
Write em down pick dates and stick to them.
1. Decide that you ‘Just arnet a smoker’ anymore
2. Stop smoking in your home or other peoples homes (even in they are smokers and say it’s ok.) Safe Zone #1. (if you have to smoke set out side and never ever never go back to smoking inside no matter what. Ever)
3. Buy a new car DON’T EVER SMOKE IN IT. Ok you don’t really have to buy a new car but it helps. Save Zone #2
4. Make a list of all the ailments associated with smoking – emphysema etc- Write them on little sticky notes and post them EVERYWHERE so you always know what it’s doing to you.
5. After a couple of months of the above pick a date and quit.
6. Afro you have gotten to number 5 never ever under any circumstances put another cigarette to your mouth again. Ever.

Good luck,
Tony 10 year smoker (8 years smoke free)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
2. Stop smoking in your home or other peoples homes (even in they are smokers and say it’s ok.) Safe Zone #1. (if you have to smoke set out side and never ever never go back to smoking inside no matter what. Ever)
3. Buy a new car DON’T EVER SMOKE IN IT. Ok you don’t really have to buy a new car but it helps. Save Zone #2
4. Make a list of all the ailments associated with smoking – emphysema etc- Write them on little sticky notes and post them EVERYWHERE so you always know what it’s doing to you.
6. Afro you have gotten to number 5 never ever under any circumstances put another cigarette to your mouth again. Ever.

Good luck,
Good advise.

Skip to step 5 and make the date October 9th 2006.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tried a few things like that pill (forget what it's called), gum, tried dip rather than light up (to break the hand to mouth thing) and nothing worked.

The day I closed on my first house, I couldn't afford to smoke. So that was the day I quit.

It's tough at first, but after a few weeks, it's no big deal. I used to take smoke breaks at work with the smokers, but instead of smoking, I would play hacky sack with a few other guys. It was a good excuse to get out of my cube and I even burned a calorie or two in the process.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think a good way to quit smoking would be to look in the mirror and say:
My clothes stink.
My house stinks.
My car stinks.
My breath stinks.
My teeth are yellow.
My lungs are black.
My life will end early.
My fellow cititzens look at me like I am a leper when I smoke in public.

I could go on but....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I tried a few things like that pill (forget what it's called), gum, tried dip rather than light up (to break the hand to mouth thing) and nothing worked.

The day I closed on my first house, I couldn't afford to smoke. So that was the day I quit.

It's tough at first, but after a few weeks, it's no big deal. I used to take smoke breaks at work with the smokers, but instead of smoking, I would play hacky sack with a few other guys. It was a good excuse to get out of my cube and I even burned a calorie or two in the process.
I had a hackey sack when I was in 7th grade. Playing in school, it got taken up by this teacher who was in charge of managing the "special" kids. Turns out he later was thrown in jail for banging a few of them. I havent smoked since.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
i quit dipping... wasnt easy but you just cant have that first one. it gets easier with some time because you should be proud of making it. also celebrating annaversaries of the date you quit... even if its 1 week... 1 month etc... that helps you maintain your pride. good luck man!

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA

Good luck,

Great stuff there. Tonights project-post it notes for every location I usually smoke. Another one I'm going to try is to hop on my bike everytime I get jittery and want to smoke.

Thanks monkies, some grat advise here.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Great stuff there. Tonights project-post it notes for every location I usually smoke. Another one I'm going to try is to hop on my bike everytime I get jittery and want to smoke.

Thanks monkies, some grat advise here.
That's great. I also found that downing a glass of water occasionally helped abate the urge cuz sometimes the urge is so intense the pain resembles really bad hunger pains.

I also put a sticky in my wallet so when i opened it there it was. Hung one off my rearview mirror in the truck. had some in my cubehole at work. Everywhere.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
You had to learn how to smoke, now you have to learn how to quit. What worked for me, is I started cutting down before I quit. At first, I wouldn't smoke after I got home from work, then smoke less during the day, delaying the first smoke of the day, starting to only smoke outside the house. On my last day, I only smoked 3 times. That was June 2, 1995 and I haven't smoked since.

If you want to quit deep down inside, you will be able to cold turkey. Since you haven't been able to so far, says to me that you still want to smoke. You have to convince yourself that you no longer want to be a smoker, and then you will quit.

When you finally stop smoking, keep reminding yourself that you are not a smoker. The first 2 weeks is the hardest, that is when you are going through withdrawal from the nicotine. After that, all you have to do is break the habit fo smoking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pretty much everyone of my old friends smoked. They all tried to quit and most were successful. The ones who weren't were the folks who still hung out with other people who smoked. From what I've seen it is a damned cult.

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
You had to learn how to smoke, now you have to learn how to quit. What worked for me, is I started cutting down before I quit. At first, I wouldn't smoke after I got home from work, then smoke less during the day, delaying the first smoke of the day, starting to only smoke outside the house. On my last day, I only smoked 3 times. That was June 2, 1995 and I haven't smoked since.

If you want to quit deep down inside, you will be able to cold turkey. Since you haven't been able to so far, says to me that you still want to smoke. You have to convince yourself that you no longer want to be a smoker, and then you will quit.

When you finally stop smoking, keep reminding yourself that you are not a smoker. The first 2 weeks is the hardest, that is when you are going through withdrawal from the nicotine. After that, all you have to do is break the habit fo smoking.
A big part of me hasn't wanted to quit, I I seem to make excuses as to why I can't quit. Self justification is a b*tch.

New reasons why I must quit.
1) Baby on the way, due 2/14/06
2) I ain't gettin' any younger. Just turned the big 4-0 end of last month.
3) Tired all the time. Lack of oxygen to the brain
4) My GF's grandfather died of lung cancer earlier this yearm (not smoking related) It hurts her to see me smoking. Also she just heard that someone else she knew from the old 'hood died of cancer (smoking related).

Upgr8r

May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
its kind of ironic that this thread came up. ive been planning to quit smoking and my last cigarette is sitting in my locker at work right now. im never gonna buy another pack
We should help each other out. Sorta like AA lol.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
its kind of ironic that this thread came up. ive been planning to quit smoking and my last cigarette is sitting in my locker at work right now. im never gonna buy another pack
Destroy that cigarette.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
You can give yourself all the reasons in the world why you should quit...the only thing that will make you quit is YOU....it is all in your head.....if you really want to quit you will...like most smokers I quit a few times...and now will never go back...good luck.......