Quantcast

How do Big Bettys compare to Muddy Marys?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I've been using MMs and DDs all season, to pretty good success - getting my best ever results on the bike. For the first time I feel like I'm finding the limits of tyres - they're so progressive that I can keep pushing them until they let go, and get away with it. On previous Maxxis and Michelins, I've not felt that confidence.

Anyway. Tomorrow is race day, and I need to use a tyre I'm not used to.

It's the end of the season, and I've run out of nice fresh MMs. I do however have a pair of BBs that I've barely touched. I rode one day on them back in April, and never put them back on the bike. As such I don't really remember much of how they handled, and I wasn't used to MMs or DDs back then, to compare them to.

So now that I love my MMs, how am I going to find the BBs? How do they differ in riding characteristics?

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I ran a MM/BB combo through the summer, thought it was a bit of a gash combo tbh. Didn't seem to be any surface (bar hardpack stuff) that the BB could match the performance of the MM.

I suppose it was good in a drifty fun sorta way, maybe not so grand for race day

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hmmm, might go for the part-worn MMs or even some DDs if it's loose enough then. Will wait and see what the morning brings!

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I ran MM/BB front rear for the first part of the past summer. I hated the BB for the rear. It skated on loose, over hardpack. It was OK on really loose powder for the most part (think Northstar). Now I am on MM/cut-down DD front rear and I love this combo. A lot. The cut-down DD's never let go leaning corners/berms. Good on really loose stuff too. I wouldnt second think a full MM setup, prolly a Trailstar for the rear and Vert up front...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I ran MM/BB front rear for the first part of the past summer. I hated the BB for the rear. It skated on loose, over hardpack. It was OK on really loose powder for the most part (think Northstar). Now I am on MM/cut-down DD front rear and I love this combo. A lot. The cut-down DD's never let go leaning corners/berms. Good on really loose stuff too. I wouldnt second think a full MM setup, prolly a Trailstar for the rear and Vert up front...
Yeah the tread pattern on hard pack and the big Betty lends itself to lateral drift its predictable which is nice I love that rear tire on the switchbacks and hair pins of San Juan trail (not a hard trail just fast and good for tuning).

The muddy Mary f/r is favorite, the dirty Dan combo is great as well...

The big Betty rear kind of depends on what your looking for on a run, I won't run it as a front unless I was in the NW and it wasn't muddy but kind of intermediate and free ride. (Still be mm front lol love that tire)
I like it at fontanna for speed and quick brake checks to bring the rear around a smidge on corners etc, also when we are on steep nasty stuff that's all out fast it lends itself to braking more than cornering.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I used to run Muddy Mary front Big Betty rear combo, now I changed to MM/Hans Dampf combo and the HD beats the crap out of the Big Betty in everything.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I used to run Muddy Mary front Big Betty rear combo, now I changed to MM/Hans Dampf combo and the HD beats the crap out of the Big Betty in everything.
Yeah and the new HD will be pretty amazing apparently harts been running them with great success in the new compound and snakeskin over the entire tire...

I Still like the big Betty, but with the HD coming in the new gravity compound and sub 1000g it will put it in the lead for a lot of terrain and will fill the bb spot this season for rear and front rear combo...I like the HD but wanted a dh casing and now it looks like a month or so out its available....

Should mention the new hans dampf is ready for ust compatible, snakeskin over the entire tire bead to bead, new compound, Kevlar bead, non slip and under them1000 gram mark....

Last edited: