Quantcast

How do Big Bettys compare to Muddy Marys?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by - seb, Oct 6, 2012.

1. - seb

- seb Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    So I've been using MMs and DDs all season, to pretty good success - getting my best ever results on the bike. For the first time I feel like I'm finding the limits of tyres - they're so progressive that I can keep pushing them until they let go, and get away with it. On previous Maxxis and Michelins, I've not felt that confidence.

Anyway. Tomorrow is race day, and I need to use a tyre I'm not used to.

It's the end of the season, and I've run out of nice fresh MMs. I do however have a pair of BBs that I've barely touched. I rode one day on them back in April, and never put them back on the bike. As such I don't really remember much of how they handled, and I wasn't used to MMs or DDs back then, to compare them to.

So now that I love my MMs, how am I going to find the BBs? How do they differ in riding characteristics?

#1 -   Oct 6, 2012

Please register to disable this ad.

2. scottishmark

scottishmark Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 20
    I ran a MM/BB combo through the summer, thought it was a bit of a gash combo tbh. Didn't seem to be any surface (bar hardpack stuff) that the BB could match the performance of the MM.

I suppose it was good in a drifty fun sorta way, maybe not so grand for race day

#2 -   Oct 6, 2012
  3. - seb

- seb Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Hmmm, might go for the part-worn MMs or even some DDs if it's loose enough then. Will wait and see what the morning brings!

#3 -   Oct 6, 2012
  4. chillindrdude

chillindrdude Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 23
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    I like them for dry hardpack to intermediate conditions. Good roll for pedally courses. In mud, i find they pack up quick and tend not to clear well.
    I like a MM front and BB rear combo.

#4 -   Oct 6, 2012
  5. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 26
    goin back to cali, cali, cali, goin back to cali!
    Definently bb rear mm front and mm f/r for the most part. I started running dirty dans trimmed down and like em a lot the hans dampf coming out in the new compound will be the tire I am going to ride for the most part at least as a rear....

#5 -   Oct 6, 2012
  6. boylagz

boylagz Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    I ran MM/BB front rear for the first part of the past summer. I hated the BB for the rear. It skated on loose, over hardpack. It was OK on really loose powder for the most part (think Northstar). Now I am on MM/cut-down DD front rear and I love this combo. A lot. The cut-down DD's never let go leaning corners/berms. Good on really loose stuff too. I wouldnt second think a full MM setup, prolly a Trailstar for the rear and Vert up front...

#6 -   Oct 7, 2012
  7. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 26
    Yeah the tread pattern on hard pack and the big Betty lends itself to lateral drift its predictable which is nice I love that rear tire on the switchbacks and hair pins of San Juan trail (not a hard trail just fast and good for tuning).

The muddy Mary f/r is favorite, the dirty Dan combo is great as well...

The big Betty rear kind of depends on what your looking for on a run, I won't run it as a front unless I was in the NW and it wasn't muddy but kind of intermediate and free ride. (Still be mm front lol love that tire)
    I like it at fontanna for speed and quick brake checks to bring the rear around a smidge on corners etc, also when we are on steep nasty stuff that's all out fast it lends itself to braking more than cornering.

#7 -   Oct 7, 2012
  8. tacubaya

tacubaya Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    13 / 59
    I used to run Muddy Mary front Big Betty rear combo, now I changed to MM/Hans Dampf combo and the HD beats the crap out of the Big Betty in everything.

#8 -   Oct 7, 2012
  9. bullcrew

bullcrew Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 26
    Yeah and the new HD will be pretty amazing apparently harts been running them with great success in the new compound and snakeskin over the entire tire...

I Still like the big Betty, but with the HD coming in the new gravity compound and sub 1000g it will put it in the lead for a lot of terrain and will fill the bb spot this season for rear and front rear combo...I like the HD but wanted a dh casing and now it looks like a month or so out its available....

Should mention the new hans dampf is ready for ust compatible, snakeskin over the entire tire bead to bead, new compound, Kevlar bead, non slip and under them1000 gram mark....

#9 -   Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  10. supercow

supercow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 125
    Spambot fail - tried to link his spam sites and wrapped it in IMG tags.. trololol.

#10 -   Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012