Quantcast

How do I cook on a gas bbq?

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
so, I have a girl coming over tonight and going to cook her dinner (i'm thinking pasta, chicken, wine, salad). The problem is my apt complex only has gas bbqs and i've never cooked on one before. So, if I have 2 breasts of chicken what setting should I set it at and should I do indirect or whaaat?!

These gas grills are effin' unacceptable.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
manziman said:
so, I have a girl coming over tonight and going to cook her dinner (i'm thinking pasta, chicken, wine, salad). The problem is my apt complex only has gas bbqs and i've never cooked on one before. So, if I have 2 breasts of chicken what setting should I set it at and should I do indirect or whaaat?!

These gas grills are effin' unacceptable.
why grill it? pan-sear it, finish in the oven and make a kick-ass sauce when you deglaze the pan and wait for the chicken to finish cooking.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I suggest you not try something new cooking-wise when you are trying to impress a girl. Unless you are working that "Golly Gee I'm a stupid trainwreck aren't I cute?" angle, make something you are comfortable with, something that can't miss.

But you should experiment with your grill another time.
Gas grills work fine, they are very convenient, easy, and more consistent. You can get some real smoke flavor by tossing a few wood chips in there. You can buy smoke chips specific for this, they come in different flavors/wood type and are usually right next to the charcoal.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
OGRipper said:
I suggest you not try something new cooking-wise when you are trying to impress a girl. Unless you are working that "Golly Gee I'm a stupid trainwreck aren't I cute?" angle, make something you are comfortable with, something that can't miss.

But you should experiment with your grill another time.
Gas grills work fine, they are very convenient, easy, and more consistent. You can get some real smoke flavor by tossing a few wood chips in there. You can buy smoke chips specific for this, they come in different flavors/wood type and are usually right next to the charcoal.
good call. I just don't know gas grills. I'm pretty damn good on briquets, ask curbhucker. maybe i'll just go with narlus' idea.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
splat said:
1) Turn on the Gas..
2) wait 10 minutes or so....
3) Light match , if nessecary throw into grill , things should all be pretty much cooked now.
bwahahahahahahaha. nice one splat!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I would set it on Medium'ish and if it has the control only heat one side. Once it has warmed up nicely cook the chicken on the opposite side that is on.

I would cook it until the internal temp is like 160-165