Quantcast

how do i do it?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
hey, i'm tryin to cut some weight so i'm not quite as sluggish. i keep tryin, but i only seem to gain weight. i do at least 50 sit ups a day, usually 75 or 100, i've been eatin a lot less, but my weight still shot from 160 to 175 in about a month and a half. how do i cut some weight and lose some fat?

tip: i'm a big guy, and get fatter on carbs. to give an idea of my body type

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
175 is pretty light actually, and if you want to not be sluggish, lift some weights and get stronger, more muscles mass means more calories burned in a static state.

as far as carbs go, the adkins diet is a hoax. it works becasue you are robbing your body of its natural energy source, carbs. and it is forced to use fat and muscle tissues for energy.
it is not a good lifestyle to live.
proper eating habits and an exercise regimen is key to healthy living.

you should eat more, and ride harder, shock your system, do some sprints, go on longer rides, lift weights..........that will be 50$ please.

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
i agree with you who beg to differ, diet and exercise (combination of weight lifting and moderate cardio) are key to losing weight, more so on the diet side.
seek knowledge young skinny one.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
will you take a check? and as for being pretty light, i don't think it's very light for being 15 years old. thanks, and keep tips coming. will work on longer rides, even though i generally ride all the way up and all the way down town six or seven times a week. maybe i'm just meant to be heavier?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
man, im 15, 6'2 and 190 pounds. how tall are you? i am i good shape, even then im just build bigger than lotsa people. you probably are too.

as for working out, the key to building muscle and losing fat is to overload your muscles with a workout. not too much just keep pushing when your legs begin to burn.
and make sure to get plenty of rest, your body can only develop muscle as fast as it can get all healed up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I beg to differ too - I see lots of fat weight lifters but seldom see a fat distance runner... anyhow cardio will help you take off fat quickly - as the pounds begin to drop weight training will build muscle mass and help to maintain the weight you have lost.

Raising your HR to 60 to 70% of max is something that can be done for several hours a day with little of no risk of injury - after 20 minutes your body begins to consume fat. Another benifit of cardio conditioning is more developed slowtwitch muscle fibers - this allows for greater greater speed and stamina while bicycling.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
How tall are you? Unless you are actually obese I think its a very bad plan to restrict calories at age 15 - at your age you should be eating all the time - good stuff though - not pre-packaged crap and cheetos - (those are for me).

flatulant_man said:
will you take a check? and as for being pretty light, i don't think it's very light for being 15 years old. thanks, and keep tips coming. will work on longer rides, even though i generally ride all the way up and all the way down town six or seven times a week. maybe i'm just meant to be heavier?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Serial Midget said:
How tall are you? Unless you are actually obese I think its a very bad plan to restrict calories at age 15 - at your age you should be eating all the time - good stuff though - not pre-packaged crap and cheetos - (those are for me).
i mostly get enough excersise. i do admit i could do a bit more, but in the workout area i'm doin pretty good. however, what diets are good for me? i'm about 5' 8", and still growing, but i just feel uncomfortable with the extra two inches of fat around the waist. what daily diet will cut fat, but keep me full? (because i generally get hungry between meals)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
flatulant_man said:
i mostly get enough excersise. i do admit i could do a bit more, but in the workout area i'm doin pretty good. however, what diets are good for me? i'm about 5' 8", and still growing, but i just feel uncomfortable with the extra two inches of fat around the waist. what daily diet will cut fat, but keep me full? (because i generally get hungry between meals)
I am 5ft7 and weigh 168, probably about 10LBS overweight and I excercise all the time - my problem is I eat crap and come from a fat family. Finding info on the right food to eat is too easy on the internet so I'll let you handle that. The other thing I'll say is that everyone havs a different body and some men just naturally carry a higher % of body fat than others - your weight might seem high but it certainly is not out of control.

As for feeling sluggish - are you getting 8 to 10 hours a sleep EVERY night? Are you drinking high sugar crap before and during a ride? I am no expert... is there a nutritionist at your school that can help you out?

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
i don't eat much crap, especially before, during, or right after a ride. i have maybe one, two (max) sodas a week. i too come from a really big family. my grampa used to weigh over 300, but cut down on the atkins diet. don't want to try it. sounds unhealthy. but yes, i have been getting at least eight hours of sleep. usually upwards of 9.5 hours. no nutritionist at school, but i could try going on walks cause i hate running, or riding a little more cross country. thanks for the tips!

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
flatulant_man said:
15 years old!!! sh!t son, you aint got hair one yet.....that is vital information!!

i would recommed weight training and then go ride yor bike...weight train 2 or 3 times a week, hit every, EVERY, major muscle group once a week..eat right and do yor cardio AFTER your weight training, do not spend more than 5 minutes warming up for wieght training either, you will burn too many carbs needed to lift if you warm up too much......

....(because i generally get hungry between meals).......then you need to eat between meals. if you wait until you are hungry to eat, then your body has already gone into a catabolic state and when it does it begins to break down muscle for energy stores. eat about 6 times a day, keep the portions small, eat nutrient dense foods, and drink lots of water.....as far as diets, i say eat what you want as long as it is in moderation, and eat sa much protein as you can, eat at least one gram per pound of body weight, other wise your muscles will atrophy........50$ please...

PS . 175# is not heavy at 5-8....i am 6-1 and weigh 225, my buddy who used to race bmx, is about 5-5 and 215 solid....muscle is good.....sh!t, f!re, F@ck, and fall back into it.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
work work that is the best way to loose wieght if you are not being a freak about it am 24 am wiegh 173 andh 5 %bf and I am 5' 11". run for 2 miles 3 times a week increase every weak by 10% on the 4th week decrease 10% for rest. then up 20% on the 5th to get back in the swing repeast patterns as needed.

--
eating disorders are not healthy a 14 year old worried about wieghing 170????
just work hard and pack lunches school food is ass.

other tips you body retains wieght and destroys muscle mass when you are stressed.

Real athletes swim, bike, and run in that order!!!!!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Be careful about staring any restrictive diet at that age. You're still growing and your body needs food, nutrients, (all that crap) to grow. You might even go thru stages while growing of having that small gut, and then you might grow a few more inches and lean out. If you aren't careful you could damage your body and have it come back to haunt you later in life and make the situation even worse (I speak from experience, I'm now working on trying to undo the damage dieting in my teens did to my metabolism.)

If you really are concerned about this I would suggest going to see a sports doctor/nutritionist. They can analyze how your metabolism is functioning and how it processes food. Everyone's body processes foods differently and reacts to cardio/weight training differently. I went thru the whole regiment of tests....resting metabolism, exercising metabolism, VO2 max, blood work.....to find out what the heck my body does and it's actually quite interesting.

Whatever you decide...Good luck :thumb: