Quantcast

How do I get 7 inches?

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
Does anyone know how I can get 7 inches of travel out of my 04 Stinky. It currently has 6 inches and Danger Boy says they no longer make the Kona Plates for the conversion. Does anyone have a set of plates they want to sell or can I just get a new shock that has more stroke if so what length?. I have a 7 inch Monster T up front already
and the bike looks like it has a fair amount of rake.

Thanks for any help.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I don't know how you would get 7" but I just fold it in half. :monkey:

Seriously, I bet someone out there has dangerboy plates in stock though.

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
Tenchiro beat me to a witty response.

Search Ridemonkey for the possibilty of switching your 2.0 "stroke" shock for a 2.25 stroke with the same overall shock length. I think it'll give you another 2/3"

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
Someone else told me the same thing but did not know what shock specs to use because he doesn't know much about the Stinky. I need to know the exact shock specs to use when I go to buy my DHX 5.0.

I tried asking Kona but they seemed real negative towards my question and basically said you want more travel buy the new Kona have a good day! Said the Geo would change but when your bombing down a mountain over rocks and your brakes are smoking do you stop and say geee, my 7 inches really feels one degree off maybe I should stop and walk down the rest of the way.

Anyone with alot of Stinky knowledge out there or first hand experiance? Thats not trying to sell anything only give a real solution :confused:

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
honestly, i wouldnt. the reason kona is gung ho against it is because the chainstays are a specific length for each travel, and a 7" travel on a 2" stroke shock creates a pretty high leverage ratio. betd makes plates for your stinky, www.betd.co.uk

markskee

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
Los Angeles
Handlebarsfsr said:
honestly, i wouldnt. the reason kona is gung ho against it is because the chainstays are a specific length for each travel, and a 7" travel on a 2" stroke shock creates a pretty high leverage ratio. betd makes plates for your stinky, www.betd.co.uk
I tried to contact betd and no response to my email what is the best way to get in contact with them or to order the swing arms? Is anyone in the US a distributor for them or carry their products? If so who? Also when you put on the arms do you use the stock shock or do I need a different size shock?

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
I have an 04 Stinky and when I looked into the conversion from Dangerboy they said I had to go to 24" in the rear, clearance issue. If I'm gona spend that much money it's gona be on a new fork first.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i was just gonna say that, get your shock tuned and you'll love it! actually if your getting a dhx then you should be fine, the old vanilla r and rc just didn't cut it, i would blow through my 5" so fast...and i had a stiff spring = no bump sensitivity...and yess to get 7" you'l have to switch to a 24" (to ttest this unhook your shock and cycle the suspension through its travel. measure at the dropouts, your tire will probably hit the frame before you can get 7", also see what the shock eye to eye change is, the 2k4 used a 7.875" e-e and 2" stroke, at 2.25" stroke you would be at 6.75" but i bet your hitting the frame even then...i tested this on my 5" stinky and the tire hit the seattube at about 2.15"

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
They used to put a 8" I2I Shock on them with a 2 1/4" stroke shock to get 6 3/4" travel. The longer I2I would compensate for rocker hitting the seat tube.

But it will affect the leverage ratio of the rear suspension and the Head angle making it steeper.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Old thread, but...

...the extra inch of travel isn't going to make you a better rider. All it's going to do is make your frame fail faster.

Buy a frame with 7" of travel if you want that much travel. New rocker plates or different sized shocks are only going to f**k up your geometry and suspension.