Quantcast

How do I get me bike to Whistler?

m00ch

Chimp
Aug 24, 2001
Coming from wisconsin flying to seattle and renting a car is cheaper than flying into vancouver. But how do I get my bike to Whistler? Does anyone know if Whistler will accept ups packages with bikes in them?

One more thing, how do I find the famed north shore trails while I am there?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
for info on shore trails...

www.gutsploder.com

for getting bike there? You should be able to send yourself a package to a hotel if your staying there. How long a trip you plan? Could you live with renting a bike? Another option would be bringing on plane, but i hear there hassles sometimes with that,.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Sending a bike UPS or fedex would not only be cheaper, it'd be a lot less hassle than taking it on the plane. Bike fees for most airlines are over 75 dollars or so, while sending a bike with ground shipping is usually under 50 bucks.

Like Oly said, if you can live with renting a bike it would save you a lot of trouble.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
call garbanzo bike/bean and have the bike shipped to them. they receive all sorts of tourists' bikes :) well they did last season. not sure about this upcoming season. depending on when you are going, we may be able to work out taking your bike up for you....but that really depends on when you are going....we head up to the shore and/or whistler every weekend...just a thought :)

-sean

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
Last time we were up at Whistler Garbanzo bike and bean was out of Business. I dont know if this was seasonal or permanant.
Shipping it UPS will cost you about $85.00

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Finding a shop or something to ship to in seattle would be the best plan. If you ship up to canada theres a chance you will be charged all sorts of duties to get your own bike.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Rather than shipping it, I would take it on the plane, in one of those fancy containers. They are about $200. It will cost you $65 to put it on the plane. At least you know its always with you.

Skip the NorthShore (not knocking it at all), and just go to Whistler via Greyhound. Get one of those big taxi's from Seatac to take you downtown Seattle to the greyhound bus station (15 minutes), and go straight to Whistler for $45. You can organize for BigFoot to come and pick you up from Vancouver (I think its quicker), or just change continue on greyhound.

You are on one of the best trips ever. Dont make it too stressful. You will never get bored at Whistler, and just want more. +, its summer, lifts are open. IMO, its not the time to be shuttling.

PS - If you want to do some North Shore style riding, hook up with some locals, and head out to Pemberton, or Squamish. They have some nice northshore type stuff.

Just my .02

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
well according to whistler's site...bike/bean is still open for rentals: http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/rentals/

I would assume they are still open then?

not knocking whistler at all..but i would prefer to spend a week on the shore than a week at whistler. whistler is fun and all...but it has nothing on the secluded, gnarly natural aspect you get strapping your armour on while waiting to drop into a trail on cypress. nothing on whistler gives you that feeling...

but if you are looking for insane lappage and vertical...whistler is your drug o choice :)

Jun 18, 2004
have your bike shipped to this place and pick it up in a rental truck... a biker friend of mine opens the place in the morning before opening the bike shop he wrench's in down the street... call them up and make arrangments...
http://www.lostinseattle.com/LIS/shippingservices/ballardmaildispatch.html
if the timings right possibly one of us locals will be heading up there... I usually ride up there thurs thru Sun... I work 7 days on and 7 off...

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
bibs always has the answer!

youll be in shape, and it will be faster to ride up the fireroad at whistler than waiting in the lift line...as long as you are in shape :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Certified Drunk said:
Last time we were up at Whistler Garbanzo bike and bean was out of Business. I dont know if this was seasonal or permanant.
Shipping it UPS will cost you about $85.00
If you were up here late in the season they were turning over to winter stock.

Seand, have you ridden anything off of the top of rainbow or sprout? or are you talking lift assisted? Whistler has some gnarly descents off the public trails :)

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
seand said:
bibs always has the answer!

youll be in shape, and it will be faster to ride up the fireroad at whistler than waiting in the lift line...as long as you are in shape :)
But nothing compares to that satisfaction of watching those beautiful trails unfold beneath you.