Quantcast

How do I got about setting up a workout

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I want to set up a weight training session so when I go to the gym I have a specific routien that I do.

I want to do mostly upper body with some legs and situps. Right now I'm just kind of Winging it. Is it clear I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just do as much weight at you can possibly attempt.

Just kidding. My only advise will be to start off real easy to avoid hurting yourself. At least when you get to my age I am much more capable of lifting heavy weights than I am dealing with the pain the following day.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Since it's a new year and a lot of people are doing the same thing as you, I'm sure your gym can tailor a plan for you. I seem them with newbies all the time.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Heidi said:
Since it's a new year and a lot of people are doing the same thing as you, I'm sure your gym can tailor a plan for you. I seem them with newbies all the time.
Yeah I'm sure they would, I have to pay for that though.

I've been going to the gym since Sept. because I wanted to see if I liked it and I do. I've been going 3 times a week so now I just need to get a system for what I do while I'm there. Maybe I will talk to someone there.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Depends how serious you want to be about it. A good but basic workout would be to find 2 or 3 different exercises that work the muscles you want to target (i.e. pecs - bench press and chest fly, or whatever it's called). Do 2-3 sets of each exercise, then move on to the next muscle group.

Some people get into only trainer complimentary muscles on a given day (m/w/f is "pull muscles" - back, bicepts, t/t is push muscles - chest, bicepts... that kind of thing). Some people do one set of each exercise without resting, take a short rest, then do another complete circuit.

I'm not terribly serious about it, and when I used to go to the gym it was hard to get on certain machines. I ended up doing a simple, basic workout - 2 exercises for my major muscle groups. When a machine became available, I'd do that exercise. Not exactly rocket science.

I used to have my full workout lined up in an excel spreadsheet - I'll see if I can find it for you... would be a starting poitn at least.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Depends how serious you want to be about it. A good but basic workout would be to find 2 or 3 different exercises that work the muscles you want to target (i.e. pecs - bench press and chest fly, or whatever it's called). Do 2-3 sets of each exercise, then move on to the next muscle group.

Some people get into only trainer complimentary muscles on a given day (m/w/f is "pull muscles" - back, bicepts, t/t is push muscles - chest, bicepts... that kind of thing). Some people do one set of each exercise without resting, take a short rest, then do another complete circuit.

I'm not terribly serious about it, and when I used to go to the gym it was hard to get on certain machines. I ended up doing a simple, basic workout - 2 exercises for my major muscle groups. When a machine became available, I'd do that exercise. Not exactly rocket science.

I used to have my full workout lined up in an excel spreadsheet - I'll see if I can find it for you... would be a starting poitn at least.
Yeah that would be a good starting point.

It is really hard to get on some machines right now at the gym.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I do weights at home, and have a sheet/list with exercises listed, right now I have it split into 2. (I lift twice/week)

One day for pec's, tri's & bi's, the other is leg's, shoulder & back..and I put down weight & reps for each session.

I also get Mens fitness mag, they have some good suggestions for specific exercises

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
douglas said:
I do weights at home, and have a sheet/list with exercises listed, right now I have it split into 2. (I lift twice/week)

One day for pec's, tri's & bi's, the other is leg's, shoulder & back..and I put down weight & reps for each session.

I also get Mens fitness mag, they have some good suggestions for specific exercises
I feel like a metro reading that.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Stosh,

If you want to keep it simple, stick with compound exersises. They work more than just one muscle group at a time. The big ones are:

bench press
squats
deadlifts
shoulder presses
dips
pullups
rows

You can do 4-6 of those in a session and get a really good workout. You can also add something specific to it as well (Calf raises, curls, etc.)

I think it's pretty common for people to just work on upper body, but Squats and deadlifts are about the best things you could do. Your legs and back are your biggest muscle groups, why not take advantage of them?

Before I chose a premade workout to follow, my workouts would be something like:

workout A:
Squats
Barbell rows
Bench
Dips
Shoulder Press

Workout B:
Deadlift
Barbell rows
Incline bench
Dips
Shoulder Press

I'd workout 3 days a week, doing A-B-A, then B-A-B alternating weeks.

You can find premade workouts that are more thorough, but this is a simple way to start out. You won't be spending hours in the gym every night, either. There are also lots of variations of the above exercises you can mix in to keep things interesting, too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Atomic Dog said:
Stosh,

If you want to keep it simple, stick with compound exersises. They work more than just one muscle group at a time. The big ones are:

bench press
squats
deadlifts
shoulder presses
dips
pullups
rows

You can do 4-6 of those in a session and get a really good workout. You can also add something specific to it as well (Calf raises, curls, etc.)

I think it's pretty common for people to just work on upper body, but Squats and deadlifts are about the best things you could do. Your legs and back are your biggest muscle groups, why not take advantage of them?

Before I chose a premade workout to follow, my workouts would be something like:

workout A:
Squats
Barbell rows
Bench
Dips
Shoulder Press

Workout B:
Deadlift
Barbell rows
Incline bench
Dips
Shoulder Press

I'd workout 3 days a week, doing A-B-A, then B-A-B alternating weeks.

You can find premade workouts that are more thorough, but this is a simple way to start out. You won't be spending hours in the gym every night, either. There are also lots of variations of the above exercises you can mix in to keep things interesting, too.
Thanks man!

I really don't feel a huge need to work on my legs. I really want to mostly work on upper body stuff.
Awesome advice and I'm going to try and tailor my workout to it.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hey stosh... check out he book "body for life" by Bill philips... it incorperates working out <weights > and cardio . plus it helps you with eating .. its a great all around book. it actaully starts you on a 3 month plan for losing weight and getting stronger.. but it something that is realisitc enough to keep doing for life