Quantcast

how do i lose bike weight?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lighter tires, lighter tubes, lighter wheels, lighter fork, lighter seat, lighter pedals, lighter componentry... :D

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Toshi
Lighter tires, lighter tubes, lighter wheels, lighter fork, lighter seat, lighter pedals, lighter componentry... :D
Lighter frame helps too! :)

In all seriousness, the most effective way to make a heavy bike "feel" lighter is to reduce the weight of the wheels - specifically in the rims/tubes/tires.

lazyDAVE

Chimp
Feb 24, 2002
exeter, UK
You could try attaching some balloons.

When you want to ride up a hill just inflate required amount of balloons to assist you on the climb. When you reach the top you can deflate some for the ride back down.

!
!
!
:D

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
you post the specs of your current bike so as we can make reccomendations as to where mass can be shaved. And anything can be made lighter, it just takes money.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
seatpost, saddle, bottom bracket, and cranks will be way noticeable... example:

steel kalloy post
cromo railed recreational saddle
shimano un-52 bb

go to

thomson elite post
selle italia flite saddle
shimano un-72 bb

and you'll feel the change in the bike

lighter rims and tires can make a difference - but for the sake of all that is good in this world, don't go to lightweight tubes.

P

peewee

Fill you tubes up with helium. Not only will your bike feel lighter you'll be able to do those 50' er's that Bender does.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
with out spending major major $$ i say change the cassette ummm BB, Stem,Handlebar,Seatpost,saddle,tires,tubes maybe wheels if its those really heavy ones.

Well good luck :)

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
sometimes a bike can feel heavier when it actually is, when you're pulling up or just pedlaing up a hill. get lighter tires/rims an a lighter fork if you can.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
What is on your bike? Rolling weight helps so build up some nice wheels, have a good shop build you up some then they will be nice and reliable too. Handlebars can save weight too. But to start what kind of frame are we talking?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
i have no idea how much it weighs. the frame is a mongoose inferno. the wheels, bb, post, bars, cassette, and tires are the same as when i got it, but im working on losing weight on it. I have a small amount to spend on bikes too.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
How much do YOU weigh? Sometimes it's easier if you drop the weight instead of trying to shave it off your bike a gram at a time.

nah, you'll have more gearhead credo if you make the bike lighter. my recommendation is to spend $6k on a carbon fiber downhill frame. then get as much carbon fiber as you possibly can. and remember, if it is carbon fiber, it makes it lighter, even if the part itself is completely unnecessary.

monkeywrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2002
San Diego
I've found the fastest way to lose unecessary weight is to get rid of all the extraneous junk, such as...all gears but one! SINGLESPEED BABY!:D :thumb: :dancing: :thumb:

Well you get a drill and anything that doesn't have MAKE ONE. Drill out your whole frame, cranks, seatpostk, fork(don't worry about the leaking oil) and rims(you only need half those spokes anyways)jk lol

Seriously, that guy who said something about helium was joking but i thought about it and why couldn't you fill your tires with helium? One of the easiest ways is to get some smaller tires that roll fast and it will feel like it is lighter and you go faster. Your fork will make a large difference too.