Quantcast

How do I.....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Hide my wireless network from my neighbors? The IT guy from work set it up and he left it as an unsecured network?? My buddy says he will fix it for me but in the meantime I need to "hide my ID" ?? I looked at the router and could not figure out wtf he was talking about.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you need to access the router, typically through your web browser with an address like 192.168.0.1 -- then once you're there, click around on the tabs until a screen comes up that shows you "Broadcast SSID -- yes or no", select no.

If you ever want to allow someone access to your network, you'll need to turn it on temporarily.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You actually don't need to turn it on again, you can manually specify a network SSID to access on whoever's computer is trying to access your network.

You can also turn on encryption. That's what I usually do instead of hiding the SSID. The settings that are easiest for most people to deal with are TKIP and WPA-PSK (just look through your menus in the router, you'll find those options in the security section somewhere). Then put a password into the password box. Next time you go to access the network, your computer will ask for the password - enter the password you chose, and away you go.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Is there a reason your buddy couldn't just explain the process of hiding your network?

Yes. He was pissing me off and I wanted to give him a heart warming chest punch. I have a ESSID tab in the routers wireless section. Is that the same as SSID?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Thanks guys! I now have a secured (and hidden) wireless network. It was easier then I thought it would be. Thanks again....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Girlfriend just got a Macbook and I bought a wireless router. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to secure "DsHouse" network. I do what I think should work (change password, WPA Personal, etc, etc.) but when I try to get her computer on the network, I can't select "Join" on the screen. Like her Mac is saying "you can't access it, i won't even let you try."...switching from "None" to "WPA" deactivates the 'Join' button. any idea what i need to change on my end or her end? frustrating as hell.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Further security measure includes only allowing specific MAC addresses into your wireless network. My router has a config section which allows you to specify this...
Hiding the SSID and the mac address are both useless if someone wants onto you network.

You can manually put in an SSID name, and any scanner will have it show up. The Mac address is broadcast in the clear in headers and a sniffer will give them that in 2 seconds.

Enable WPA with a decent password and you are pretty damn secure.