Quantcast

How do monkeys like to live?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, but you'd stab yourself in the neck with aggravation while waiting in traffic on the Throg's Neck or the like.

:D

NYC region is one that I can only see as making sense for people with tons of local family, and a family owned brownstone or two as assets. But you clearly think differently.
Yeah, it's a balance between the aggravation / COL / concentrated biomass and the benefits of living here ... which escape me at the moment.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I would move to ireland in a fucking heartbeat. Having a sister plant in Cork, this could easily be arranged, too. Wife is already on board....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I hate where I live. I’ve lived here my whole life except my one year of college in Monterey bay. I loved Monterey but I wouldn’t go back there. I’ve always been suburban living and am now on a couple acres that I pretend farm on. I dislike large amounts of people so don’t like how busy it is here. I do like the diversity of the area but in my little area there is a lot of Christian Arabs, nothing wrong with the second part. Only problem is they are very clicky and are into arranged marriages or only in their group and similar stuff. Which wouldn’t effect me at all but my kids class has half the kids in this group and they don’t play with other kids. It’s kinda frustrating, I try to teach understanding and respect for cultures to my kid, apparently that isn’t a priority for the other classmates. I went to high school close by and nothing has changed in 20 years. Maybe in a hundred.

San Diego is also a very land locked place. Ocean out west, Mexico to the south, thousand miles of dessert to the east, and the worst fucking thing on the planet to our north. Now I used to do Mexico all the time, but I’m over Tijuana and just seen the good and the bad. I got a lot of crazy stories but no donkey shows.

I want mountains, trees and snow. I can ski sorta but it’s very far from here so makes it hard to go much. Also it’s north through the bad place.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
After 20+ years in the suburbia of a major metro area, I am ready to get to someplace smaller, slower, and higher.

Granted, the suburbia I live in is the outskirts of the same small town that @Nick and @6thElement suburbs Wheat Ridge
used to live there about a block or two from wheatridge cyclery.....fondest memory...driving younger brother up the mountains to poach the triple bypass....losing brakes on the way up...coasting back down on the shoulder of the hwy...in 2nd/3rd...to home...getting rental car....driving back up to pick him up....

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
used to live there about a block or two from wheatridge cyclery.....fondest memory...driving younger brother up the mountains to poach the triple bypass....losing brakes on the way up...coasting back down on the shoulder of the hwy...in 2nd/3rd...to home...getting rental car....driving back up to pick him up....
This sounds... familiar.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah, but you'd stab yourself in the neck with aggravation while waiting in traffic on the Throg's Neck or the like.

NYC region is one that I can only see as making sense for people with tons of local family, and a family owned brownstone or two as assets. But you clearly think differently.
Only time I ever stepped foot on Schlong Island, the God damned Throgs Neck Bridge caught on fire and we got stuck in 4 hours of traffic getting off the island. That was 10 years ago and I'm still super salty about it.

i think every pharma / MD company has a location in Cork.
Except my old employers, whose location was in Northern Ireland (Larne). Never got to go, but I heard it was depressing as fuck up there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My sister is deaf so growing up we lived in a rather expensive and rich school district so she could get the services she needed. We were a properly lower middle class blue collar family. By comparison to my peers I felt a lot poorer than we actually were but in retrospect them were some proper white people problems. I was lucky to have a few thousand acres of forest behind the house to run amok, ride bikes, blow shit up, bury bodies.

I liked living in pre-pandemic Seattle. I have a 900 sq ft 110 year old house on a plot slightly larger than the house. It is actually smaller than the average two bed apartment but I have a basement and a small yard for my dog to chill in and I don't have to deal with a land lord.

Pandemic Seattle annoys the living fuck out of me. I don't know what the fuck people used to do with themselves, but now they just pour out into the street and I feel like I live in the middle of a pedestrian mall and kind of feel trapped inside my little house which now that the weather sucks I rarely leave.

I would like to be closer to the mountains but that would make a daily commute a goddamn nightmare. Indications are that working from home will be an option post pandemic. To what extent that is may allow me to move to say North Bend and not really have to worry about the commute.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That was the issue with Las Cumbres. 17 miles from the nearest store which involved dropping down 3000' on a one lane road then going into town. Winter storms would knock the power out for weeks at a time and wash out roads. You had to have a 30 day supply of food and at least two weeks of generator fuel on hand plus a shit load of fire wood. Did that for 10 years. it got old and so did we...
I'd happily have a small weekend cabin like that, but day-to-day that's a lot of extra planning just to live.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Grew up in Central Connecticut, lived in Boston for a while, and have been in San Francisco since '96. There are still things I love about the City but I've been thinking of a move for a while. Basically the older I get the less patience I have for other people and the hassles of being in a City, plus I don't take advantage of the good stuff as much either. Also, aside from friends the pandemic has basically erased most of the reasons to still be here (bars, restaurants, live music, etc.), and the future for that stuff is hazy at best.

For years I've talked about a long-term plan to spend summers in the mountains and winters somewhere in the Santa Cruz area. The pandemic has shown that I can work remotely so that may happen sooner than later, we'll see.

1945 Born in Boston
1947 Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, working class suburb, back when those existed
1952 Atlanta, Georgia, suburbs, big cultural shock for a yankee kid
1957 Manhattan, east 81st
1957 Ridgewood, New Jersey, rich suburb
1965 Fort Dix, New Jersey, fucking Army
1966 Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas
1966 Fort Eustis, Virginia
1967 Busan, Korea, would have stayed there if I could
1968 Cambridge, Massachusetts, student tenement apartment
1975 Bridport, Vermont

1976 to present New Haven, Vermont, 1,700 people in 41 square miles, Addison County, 37,000 people in 810 square miles, ain't about to leave. Fuck cities and suburbs.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
1945 Born in Boston
1947 Bethel Park, Pennsylvania, working class suburb, back when those existed
1952 Atlanta, Georgia, suburbs, big cultural shock for a yankee kid
1957 Manhattan, east 81st
1957 Ridgewood, New Jersey, rich suburb
1965 Fort Dix, New Jersey, fucking Army
1966 Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas
1966 Fort Eustis, Virginia
1967 Busan, Korea, would have stayed there if I could
1968 Cambridge, Massachusetts, student tenement apartment
1975 Bridport, Vermont

1976 to present New Haven, Vermont, 1,700 people in 41 square miles, Addison County, 37,000 people in 810 square miles, ain't about to leave. Fuck cities and suburbs.
I would love to say fuck the cities and suburbs, but have yet to find a work arrangement, as a mechanical engineer, that could make that a possibility.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Holy shit! @narlus drive by!

I've never really spent time in L.A. proper, but flying out of Burbank once after visiting Pasadena, I just could't believe how far that town stretched out. It was just a neverending carpet of the same street grid, over and over and over.
Ever flown into chicago? Talk about sprawl.......

NOPE! :nope:

My old man was a lifetime Park Service employee. I never lived in an area that even had a stop light until I moved out of the house to go fail miserably at college when I was 18. For the right kind of kid, it was an amazing way to grow up, I loved it, and so did my brother. But in retrospect, if you weren't the sort of kid who wanted to get out and swim in the river, fall out of trees, hunt, fish, etc. it was pretty damaging. A quarter of my class was well on it's way to a lifetime of drinking and drug problems by 7th grade. My artsy, indoorish, little girl would not do well where I grew up. My 8th grade graduating class was 21 people, and we were a "big" class. The kids I know that still live where I grew up, meet pretty much anyone's definition of "loser". There is something quite pernicious about never leaving a "small town". I'm quite sure they wouldn't put it that way, but when the wife and I went back to visit last year, all I felt was an immense amount of sadness for just how........stagnant..... everything was. @CrabJoe StretchPants alluded to this a little bit too, but in a small town, there are no secrets and everybody is all up in everyone elses' business, because there is fuck all else to do. Like a Bronte novel, but with lifted pickups. I do miss the stars though. The nights were beautiful. I loved being in the river all the damned time. But life can be hard when you're that far from anything. Have a medical emergency or need your car towed? You're fucked. Need to go to the bank or buy anything except the most basic groceries? It was an 45 minutes, one way, to get to the nearest town with a blinking 4 way stop and a halfway decent department store. You couldn't even get cable TV to the house I grew up in until long after I'd moved out. I can only imagine what internet service must be like up there these days.

I love LA. But I suppose that's because I don't live there. We visit friends that live in Eagle Rock regularly (or at least we used to pre Rona) and damn do I like it a lot. You can walk to so much stuff, restaurants galore, night life, museums, so much shit to do. But good lord, the expense. I'd have to be fabulously wealthy before I even considered moving there. Or, have a wife that's a Partner at one of the oldest and largest law firms in the country, like my friend does.

All that said, I guess the 'burbs treat me pretty well. It's not ideal, but honestly, I'm not sure what is. I'd like to be closer to, or in "the mountains", but I also like not having the low, but very real expectation, of driving off a mountain side, hitting a cow or a deer, or losing half my day to just go pick up a couple gallons of milk for the week. I like having options for my kid, both for schooling and life. I do wish the 'hood wasn't so crowded. I do wish sometimes to be the only person on the road again. Like all things in life, it's dependent on what stage of life you're in, and what your goals are. The wife and I still talk regularly about moving someplace out in the sticks and equally about moving downtown, but we always come back to convenience and cost. And so far, we've decided to stay where we are.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow so spot on that was also my analysis regarding NYC life. We had no family and did not manage to get a townhouse before the price was out of reach.

Started life in a small farming town of 7000 people in Denmark

Then NYC
College town in Denmark
Copenhagen
NYC
Copenhagen

Even though we live inside Copenhagen we have a house and garden, can see the ocean and have a beach 2 minutes away in a hood where equity keeps getting up so I think we will stay for a long time. Traffic is not bad and have good road riding and I am at the trailhead in car in 15 minutes. So far so good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the one thing i hate most about where i live is that all the riding within an hour drive is mediocre at best. even NJ had better riding.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
the one thing i hate most about where i live is that all the riding within an hour drive is mediocre at best. even NJ had better riding.
No one forced you to get a Megatrail, those Enve rims, and oontzy cranks

Although if you're that bored then perhaps building bikes is good sport in a sense

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would love to say fuck the cities and suburbs, but have yet to find a work arrangement, as a mechanical engineer, that could make that a possibility.

You can find them, with shitty pay and no other opportunities if things don't work out. The latter being the worst part as job security isn't a think that exists anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am 45 minute away from anything. At least it is the good stuff.

Well, there is shit closer, but not even worth getting into a car for IMO.