Quantcast

How do you all feel about this "Marriage Campaign"?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I don't know about in your parts of the country/world, but here in Richmond Virginia, on TV Commercials, on buses, and in print ads, there are all kinds of ads for this new "marriage campaign."

One of them on the side of a bus says "sex won't make him yours, and a baby won't make him stay"

Now, Belive me, I am ALL FOR marriage before kids, but I find this campaign a little offensive.

Any thoughts?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Fvck people telling you how to behave, especially with quasi-religious motivation.

Having said that I am married and I like it.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
BigMike said:
I don't know about in your parts of the country/world, but here in Richmond Virginia, on TV Commercials, on buses, and in print ads, there are all kinds of ads for this new "marriage campaign."

One of them on the side of a bus says "sex won't make him yours, and a baby won't make him stay"

Now, Belive me, I am ALL FOR marriage before kids, but I find this campaign a little offensive.

Any thoughts?
Interesting. Both statements are true though?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Considering its aim is probably to lower teen pregnancy, reduce the number of unwanted children and the number of kids growing up without a loving father, no, I don't have a problem with it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
kinghami3 said:
Considering its aim is probably to lower teen pregnancy, reduce the number of unwanted children and the number of kids growing up without a loving father, no, I don't have a problem with it.
Not to mention attempt to foster population growth which will support the Social Security system which is about to get smacked because of all the boomers retiring.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
JRogers said:
Not to mention attempt to foster population growth which will support the Social Security system which is about to get smacked because of all the boomers retiring.
I'm not willing to ruin the life of a child for economic reasons. There are many cultures that use large numbers of children as a form of SS, but in the case of a single mother, both the child and the mother suffer. In addition, the message of the advertisement it to wait to have children, not to forego having children, so that those children will be supported by both parents.

Oh, and I fully agree that the SS system is about to get its butt kicked, by tax cuts no less... (this logic is nullifying)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:

Um.

I guess I'm not sure what you find to be offensive?

I mean, they're encouraging people to not get pregnant before marriage, and suggesting that sex isn't a way to "get" a guy.

I'm not sure why anyone would find that offensive, regardless of your views on marriage... :confused:

edit: well, BurlyShirley might, since those are his main pickup strategies :D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
edit: well, BurlyShirley might, since those are his main pickup strategies :D
My main pickup strategy can be summed up in one word: Rohypnol

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
kinghami3 said:
binary visions said:
I mean, they're encouraging people to not get pregnant before marriage, and suggesting that sex isn't a way to "get" a guy.

I'm not sure why anyone would find that offensive, regardless of your views on marriage... :confused:
Amen and exactly to both posts.

J

JRB

I don't know about this, but I continue to get calls from a recording about same sex marriage. I can't wait until it's a a real person. I am one of those people that doesn't care, and gay people don't offend me. I do care about being bothered by strangers, add in my brother is gay and my propensity to whine, so do the math on what I might say to them. I can only hope for a real person one day.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
BigMike said:

Any thoughts?
...sound more like an add to get some of these dumb kids to stop having four kids with three diff..fathers....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
it pisses me off when society tries to create a form the we all need to fit into. we are all supposed to be these little 9-5 robots with a wife and 2.whatever number of children.

with less and less opportunities for recreation and creativity in our world.

it's not a wonder why so many resort to inebriants to find some kind of escape.(i'm talkin about it being used for a crutch, not sparkin up and rippin it up on the trails.)

if i want to just live with her til i get tired of her sh.. or she gets tired of mine. i don't need some organized money grubbin religious faction telling me what's right or wrong. their guilt trip doesn't fly here.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Why is the ad directed towards women? Men don't pursue marriage for the wrong reasons with the wrong tools? I've met more than a few guys who are a bit questionable...

like the freako pretty-boy who announced 2-weeks into the "dating" period that he wanted 9 kids and an uber catholic devout wife...:confused:

Or why aren't these ads directed towards guys in the sense that they feel somewhat responsible for the outcome of their actions - ie having sex as a teenager without protection leads to consequences that isn't just the girls alone?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
BigMike said:

Any thoughts?
I don't find it offensive, but I just wish they would stop using my picture for their ads. I mean it was only a handful of girls, and that was a long time ago....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Jr_Bullit said:
Why is the ad directed towards women? Men don't pursue marriage for the wrong reasons with the wrong tools? I've met more than a few guys who are a bit questionable...

like the freako pretty-boy who announced 2-weeks into the "dating" period that he wanted 9 kids and an uber catholic devout wife...:confused:

Or why aren't these ads directed towards guys in the sense that they feel somewhat responsible for the outcome of their actions - ie having sex as a teenager without protection leads to consequences that isn't just the girls alone?
'cause girls are sluts.... silly slut. :oink:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Jr_Bullit said:

Thats actually a really good point.

I guess I used the wrong word, it not offensive per se, but I don't like other peoples values being pushed on me. Also, how does it make all the single mothers out there feel after their husband cheated on them and left her with the kid, she's doing all she can to make ends meet, and then sees this crap on a bus?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
BigMike said:
Thats actually a really good point.

I guess I used the wrong word, it not offensive per se, but I don't like other peoples values being pushed on me. Also, how does it make all the single mothers out there feel after their husband cheated on them and left her with the kid, she's doing all she can to make ends meet, and then sees this crap on a bus?
That's what she gets for not satisfying her man in bed.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
BAH said:
Interesting. Both statements are true though?

Perhaps. But a campaign that featured:

"Going to church doesn't make you a good person"

and

"Praying isn't going to save your soul"

would be as true and offensive too!