Quantcast

how do you barbecue your chicken?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tenchio is the guy to ask about whole chickens. I do chicken parts.

medium heat usually, don't put the sauce on until it's close to being done or the sauce will burn. (depending on the sauce of course, standard BBQ sauce will burn)

I do parts so while i'm cooking, i'm pulling it apart and eating it. so when it's done, it's done. I don't do anything too fancy with it. sometimes I do skewers.

just don't burn it or undercook it and your good. and like anything, practice makes perfect.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
just read that article. I wouldn't do my chicken like that for the sole fact that when I'm doing chicken, i am usually cooking a bunch of other stuff as well so I am constantly opening the lid (if I'm not using my bbq pit, which has no lid.)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I use breasts. Slather the BBQ sauce on and cook covered with the gas on low until the chicken is just cooked through. I then baste them with some more BBQ sauce and turn the heat on high for a couple minutes on each side so as to slightly blacken them.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Cook it slow. Allow yourself at least 30-45 min over a low flame. Turn often....every 5-8 min. A lot of folks will try and cook chicken too fast---this is OK if you work in a resturant, and have to get it out pronto....in which case, the chicken should be pounded both sides to lessen cooking time. The same method can be used in the kitchen with your convection oven. Go with a foil-lined sheet coated with olive oil---shape the foil so that it creates a high-sided "shell" around the chicken, and oven bake it at 300-325 for about 45 min. Perfect chicken everytime.

And........everyone knows marinating several hours beforehand will greatly enchance flavor. But, if you have one of those vacuum-sealer, Food Saver deals, put your chicken w/marinade or sauce into one of the bags, and vacuum seal it. Vacuum-packaging for 20 min. is equivlent to 4 hrs. in a conventional, stand-alone marinade in the fridge.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
When I grill chicken I usually turn on one burner and put the chicken over the half of the grill away from the burner, this way it takes at least 2 hours to cook all the way through. I always seem to burn the chicken if it's directly over the burner, either that or it's still raw in the middle. Is there some secret to make chicken cook faster. Greyhound, you mention pounding, as in pounding it with a mallet? To make it thinner or is there some other reason? When you go to a restaraunt they cook a piece of chicken in a couple of minutes or at least they re-heat it in a couple of minutes. Is there a way I can cook several pieces in the oven and freeze them so that I can just throw them on the grill for 10 mintues?

I know I'm asking the impossible here, good food should always be cooked slowly. I like to grill during the week, but some days I get home so late that it would be 10:00 before I actually ate dinner if I was cooking a piece of chicken for 2 hours.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
If you are pounding the food, you increase the surface area and decrease the thickness. It lets the heat get into the middle of the food faster, so you can cook the middle without turning the outside to carbon.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Kornphlake said:
I know I'm asking the impossible here, good food should always be cooked slowly.
I have to disagree with that statement. good food can be cooked quickly.

I don't know how you can cook thick pieces of chicken in MINUTES unless they are very thin though.

rememeber, it's food. there are no rules. if you want rules, go play football or something.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Kornphlake said:
Anybody skilled in the art of grilling want to share any tips?
The number one rule is .....SPATCHCOCK THE CHICKEN!!!!
Well, other than that, I don't really have much to add to this thread.....I just love that word, and it really does fit with the topic. :p :p :p

Don't get a chance to use spatchcock in daily conversation..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Great advice and grilling techniques from all, but nobody said you NEED a BEER in one hand while grilling. Thats a very crucial step and can not be over looked. :thumb:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'll second on the "beer in hand while cooking".

I use a two burner gas grill to cook chicken pieces. After preheating the grill I place all the chicken on one half the grill and turn that burner off. I keep the lid closed as much as possible. When turning the chicken I move them over to the other half of the grill and switch burners. Chicken fat is extremely flammable and it's best not to keep an open flame under the bird. This technique basically roasts the chicken in the grill. Then I put the BBQ sauce on near the end of cooking.

If you use a charcoal grill create a low heat area to keep the chicken over and keep the lid closed.

Mike

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
ncrider said:
Great advice and grilling techniques from all, but nobody said you NEED a BEER in one hand while grilling. Thats a very crucial step and can not be over looked. :thumb:

I'm mormon... No beer for me :nopity:

B_A_MTBIKER

Monkey
May 4, 2004
Where the wild things are
beer in hand, because if you leave your beer sitting next to the barbecue put, that fecker will heat up so dam fast it will be warm and not worth drinking. I recommend keeping it in a coozy that way you can keep your hand comfortable without heating up your beer to fast. Don't forget to rotate beers from the coozy when one is emptied (key element in barbecuing).

oliverjohn20

Chimp
Aug 5, 2022
I use breasts. Slather the BBQ sauce on and cook covered with the gas on low until the chicken is just cooked through.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
BBC562C6-47D3-4397-B76A-EEA363117C22.jpeg

Grilling a little chicken right now. Thighs and drumsticks with a homemade rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, paprika and cumin). No sauce on these.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You'd get less flare ups from chicken fat I guess, the one I have you can put the beer straight in to the middle so you aren't melting the plastic from the beer can in to the chook. But I guess that is probably nothing compared to all the carbon and crap you get with grilling......

My sister works in a BBQ store so I get BBQ gifts, and my brother is a vegan so I get vegan gifts, it's weird.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You'd get less flare ups from chicken fat I guess, the one I have you can put the beer straight in to the middle so you aren't melting the plastic from the beer can in to the chook. But I guess that is probably nothing compared to all the carbon and crap you get with grilling......

My sister works in a BBQ store so I get BBQ gifts, and my brother is a vegan so I get vegan gifts, it's weird.
Also helps keep the chicken from tipping over.

I love grilling chicken thighs, but damn do they make a mess..

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Full beer can in butt.
View attachment 180236

EDIT- I'll be in the no context thread again.
Fuck,that is a Winner HardTail! Look at the skin,I am giving that BeerCan Chicken a 10. I would go higher but would need to taste,you understand. Love that Holder,I have a nice stainless one myself,but that one is better.
Please tell me you put fresh garlic and a bay leaf in there? Fucking TextBook ! Boy’s,take notice and strive for the HardTail BeerCan Chicken!

Avy

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I'm going to try smoking some chicken thighs & drumsticks tonight, which I've never done. Thinking I'll smoke them at 225 for a bit to get a little smoke flavor, and then crank it up to 400-ish to crisp up the skin.

Any pointers, thoughts or grievances from the peanut gallery?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fuck,that is a Winner HardTail! Look at the skin,I am giving that BeerCan Chicken a 10. I would go higher but would need to taste,you understand. Love that Holder,I have a nice stainless one myself,but that one is better.
Please tell me you put fresh garlic and a bay leaf in there? Fucking TextBook ! Boy’s,take notice and strive for the HardTail BeerCan Chicken!

Avy
Hahaha, that's not mine, I don't make pretty looking food.
I just stole a pic to demonstrate what I have to cook chooks.

I had to yell out to my neighbor last weekend, one of his chickens had dropped off the barbs on the rotisserie and was starting to burn, dude is a pretty wicked cook.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Oh that is just Wrong. Are you kidding me?

Avy
Hahaha, that's not mine, I don't make pretty looking food.
I just stole a pic to demonstrate what I have to cook chooks.

I had to yell out to my neighbor last weekend, one of his chickens had dropped off the barbs on the rotisserie and was starting to burn, dude is a pretty wicked cook.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oh that is just Wrong. Are you kidding me?

Avy
Yeah dude, I'm one of those weirdos that cooks schnitzel on the BBQ, I do whatever makes the least dishes to wash.
-6745520213169178603.jpg

EDIT-I've taken a photo of my shoe, I hate photos with feet in them.

Last edited: