Quantcast

how do you carry stuff?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The weather here can go from wet, windy and freezing to hot and dry during the course of a ride.

I really want to find a solution that doesn't involve my camelbak. I was thinking of a rack.

Have you tried a quick-release rear rack? If so, how's the stability at higher speeds, bumpy roads, whatever? What about a rack that bolts on to the post and skewer... any more stable or not enough to worry about?

A guy at the LBS told me the handlebar bag is like riding with a piece of wood and the drag's a drag.

So, how do you carry stuff?

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I have a rear rack that bolts on. I purchased it and the velcro-attached bag "trunk" at Performance Bike for (I think) $30 or so.

I use it for commuting and I can fit a change of clothes (with sandal-like shoes) plus, my cell phone, deoderant, baby wipes. It adds a few lbs, obviously, but I didn't notice any performance difference.

The only downside I see so far (and it's not a big one) is that the bad has a tendency to lean to one side slightly by the end of my ride. I try to put the heavy stuff on the bottom, but it still manages to lean a bit.

I rode a buddy's bike with a front rack and yes, it was a major drag... not to mention the weight over the front wheel really threw off the bike's feel.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have a jacket that rolls up into a pouch that I can fasten around my waist - otherwise I make no provisions for the weather - just keep moving and you'll stay warm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Serial Midget
just keep moving and you'll stay warm.
I thought the same thing until this winter. It was about 45 degrees and I went out for a long ride. On the way out I felt warm an comfy pushing hard. About the point where I was going to turn around I bonked. Along with a 5 degree temp drop I started getting real cold. I tried riding harder but my legs were too cold to do much work. I had my HRM on and I could not get my HR over 70%. If I did not have a tail wind I don't know if I would have made it home that day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
G-Cracker, thanks! The guys at Performance showed me two small trunk models and told me about the one that leans. :rolleyes: Good to hear it from multiple sources. I'm thinking of just using my backpacking compression sack and bunging it to the rack.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Originally posted by LordOpie
G-Cracker, thanks! The guys at Performance showed me two small trunk models and told me about the one that leans. :rolleyes: Good to hear it from multiple sources. I'm thinking of just using my backpacking compression sack and bunging it to the rack.
Anytime, dood. Good luck!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I didn't say not to dress for the conditions, I have gear for all temps and tend to over dress for cold. I suffer the heat better than the cold but it is nice to take your jacket off. Neoprene booties will do more to keep you body warm than anything else I know.

Anyhow - Opie'c cold is probably the low 60's and a thunder shower - they pass soon enough. It's the hail that is the bitch.

Originally posted by Westy
I thought the same thing until this winter. It was about 45 degrees and I went out for a long ride. On the way out I felt warm an comfy pushing hard. About the point where I was going to turn around I bonked. Along with a 5 degree temp drop I started getting real cold. I tried riding harder but my legs were too cold to do much work. I had my HRM on and I could not get my HR over 70%. If I did not have a tail wind I don't know if I would have made it home that day.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Anyhow - Opie'c cold is probably the low 60's and a thunder shower - they pass soon enough. It's the hail that is the bitch.
ugh, the temp range for this Saturday's ride -- Buena Vista Bike Fest -- is start time of 40*F with a high of 80*F.

I think I'm gonna just suffer a bit at the start and dress for 60*F weather. I bought some of those toe booties. The neoprene boots are wonderful for actual winter rides, but since I won't need them two hours in, I don't wanna have to try stuffing 'em in my jersey for the final four hours.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Knee warmers, arm warmers and a light rain shell which can roll up and fit into your jersey pockets. Maybe an old pair of socks to wear over your shoes if its cool. That's how I do it but we don't often get those kinds of temperature fluctuations here.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Our rides usually start in the low 50s this time of year but seldom exceed 70, usually mid 60s. Try ToastieToes from Walmart - thay are about $1.00 and will keep your feet warm for a few hours. I use them in winter for long distance running in the rain.

Most orgainized centuries have provisions for drop bags - look into that - you can ditch a lot of gear mid race and pick it up at the finish.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by oldfart
Maybe an old pair of socks to wear over your shoes if its cool.
neat idea. I've got two different boots -- heavy and light -- to go over my shoes, but that's at a good idea for my other riding friends.

Try ToastieToes from Walmart...
Those chemical warmers? If so, I use 'em when skiing... couple in my boots and I don't have to wear as many layers.

Originally posted by SuspectDevice
There is reason there are 3 pockets on the back of your jersey, don't be fred.
Well that was incredibly helpful. Have you been paying attention? If so, please help me figure out a way to carry the necessary clothes for freezing to hot weather in just three pockets. kthxbye

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by oldfart
Knee warmers, arm warmers and a light rain shell which can roll up and fit into your jersey pockets. Maybe an old pair of socks to wear over your shoes if its cool. That's how I do it but we don't often get those kinds of temperature fluctuations here.
Bingo! That is all you will need...and maybe a pair of long fingered gloves for the start. What time is the ride starting? Don't overdress. You should feel like you are underdressed at the start, as you will warm up quick..prolly like 30 minutes. Remember the sun here is quite intense. Wear a thin wicking undershirt or tank under your jersey, it will help alot to control your core temp. Jersey pockets can hold alot. Keep in mind, the cool morning will pass quickly as more of the ride will be spent in the warmer temps.
You will probably look back on the cool morning as the most pleasant part of the ride, as the afternoon sun will take its toll. Don't forget sunscreen! ;)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Triphop
Bingo! That is all you will need...and maybe a pair of long fingered gloves for the start. What time is the ride starting? Don't overdress. You should feel like you are underdressed at the start, as you will warm up quick..prolly like 30 minutes. Remember the sun here is quite intense. Wear a thin wicking undershirt or tank under your jersey, it will help alot to control your core temp. Jersey pockets can hold alot. Keep in mind, the cool morning will pass quickly as more of the ride will be spent in the warmer temps.
You will probably look back on the cool morning as the most pleasant part of the ride, as the afternoon sun will take its toll. Don't forget sunscreen! ;)
good stuff! I agree with being underdressed at the start.

hey man, if the little woman will let you get away, come join us in Buena Vista this Saturday for the road bike fest! I know, I know, first year of marriage, still humping like bunnies, but don't disrespect your wheels.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Pulser955
Just ware the stuped cammel back its not that bad.
I did, but get this... my buddy goes, "Bro, it's a supported ride today, just leave your bladder in the truck and use your camelbak for layers." which is what he did too.