Quantcast

How do you carve out time to ride?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I feel so pathetic this spring. I've yet to do one real true good solid, decent road or mountain bike ride. Yeah I've done a few short rides here and there, but nothing of substance.

I need to carve out a niche of time to get out there.

What do you Monkeys do to make time or find time to get out and ride?

I often need to travel to meetings during the work day - so commuting is difficulty (and no shower here and I sweat like a mofo).

Weekends are usually busy with sporting events for my sons and they always come first.

I guess I need to get my ass out of bed and start riding before work on a regular basis, and then squeezing as much after work riding in as I can (but then again the kids have baseball practice etc. etc.).

Lunchtime riding? Then again - no shower and they changed policy to only giving us a half hour for lunch (sucks). I just can't see those baby wipes getting the job done during the months of June, July and August around here.

So any tips? Should I start riding at night with lights? But if I did that it would probably have to be solo - and that's not so great. Unless some of my RM friends would like to get out at night a little bit (IAB??).

I have a 50 mile road ride in less than a month and I'm in piss poor riding shape. I'm in such poor riding shape, I don't even know how bad it is because I haven't gone on long enough a ride to find out!

:help:

Or am I just making excuses? I Probably am to a certain degree aren't I?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
I have to go to off site meetings usually twice a week, if not more.

how would I work that out??

Do you guys have showers at Xerox that you can use to get ready for work after you commute in?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I just take a shower before I start, and that generally wards off the stink enough to keep from being totally offensive to co-workers. It's only a 35-40 minute ride anyway.

As far as meetings, well... try to imagine what you would do if cars were not an option.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
I just take a shower before I start, and that generally wards off the stink enough to keep from being totally offensive to co-workers. It's only a 35-40 minute ride anyway.

As far as meetings, well... try to imagine what you would do if cars were not an option.

I know what I'd do - now try convicing the people on the other end.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
MMcG weather forecast is for "possible rain" all this week.

but pick a night and we'll go to the res after work.

Tell them how close you work to a great riding spot!
That's what's killin me - I work so close and I haven't been to the Reservoir once yet. ARGH!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
morning rides or commute atan easy pace on non meeting days - mornings are still on the cold side, plus going slow will keep you from sweating
(worry about June, etc when it gets here)

what time do you leave for work?
how long would your commute be? are these meetigs scheduled in advance?

and yes, ride at night solo- do a hour w/no stops (great way to get in shape being you wont be stopping to chat or wait for someone)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've gotten to the poitn where I always have at least 1 bike (and the appropriate gear) with me at all times... that way if even a small gap opens in my schedule, I'm ready to go.

I ride on lunch breaks, after kids go to bed, while they are napping... any chance I get. I don't have time to plan out long rides with other folks... I just hop on the bike any chance I get and ride for as long as possible.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's certainly not easy...as you mention, weekends are getting filled up w/ kid activities for me too, and otis isn't even doing any yet. i try to pick one night a week after work, and get in one ride on a weekend, if i can swing it w/ my wife. it all depends on what else is going on.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MMcG said:
I think that might be the ticket jackson - to ride when I can, even if it means solo, and then those group ride days are just bonus days.
yep, that's exactly it. I've had 1 ride this year longer than 90 minutes and one group ride (as it turns out, they were the same ride). Most of my rides are at lunch (I sweat a ton too, but have gotten the hang of not stinking people out of my building) and after work when I can... usually only for an hour or so.

There's some good points to riding solo... you can pick your own routes, no waiting for slower riders or holding back faster riders... breaks if/when you want them. The only real downside to solo riding is what a pain it is to get pics of yourself in action.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Discpline and maximizing your ride time.

Riding at whatever time you have available. If it is getting up at 5am to ride, then so be it. Probably better than a 9pm night ride.

Maximizing your ride time is key. A 2 hour, 25 mile soft pedal is probably not the best use of your time. Obviously you want to do hillwork or intervals in 2 or 3 rides a week you can do.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MtnBikerChk said:
It's true... try it sometime. Setting up the camera, running back to your bike, then getting in a good spot for the camera all before the timer goes off is as good a workout as the actual ride is.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mark, just let us know when you are free for a ride and we'll be there. Obviously it's easier for us to rearrange our schedules than it is for you. I'm up at 5:00AM and out the door at 6:00, so morning rides are probably out.

I would love to do some night rides. I bought those lights from BikeGeek and have used them once. Thank god for 24 hour races or I would not use them at all.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Getting divorced on a regular basis frees up a lot of ride time otherwise wasted at an art gallery, "talking", shopping for things other than bike parts, suffering through another bad movie, etc.

:thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Get your boys into riding, kill two birds with one stone on the weekends.
so violent westy. so violent. spot the hate, forgive each other.

The place i ride is in-between my office and my apt for it's very convenient for me to swing by the park on my way home. It actually used to be quicker but theres lots of construction now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stinkyboy said:
Getting divorced on a regular basis frees up a lot of ride time

Fo sho.

Drowning your children in the bathtub helps too.

I love hearing from people that they have no time to ride (not saying this is mmcg) but then talk about their favorite tv shows.:rolleyes:

You have to want to ride. This is clear in my head, so I ride several times a week not including winter/ski periods.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
stinkyboy said:
Getting divorced on a regular basis frees up a lot of ride time otherwise wasted at an art gallery, "talking", shopping for things other than bike parts, suffering through another bad movie, etc.

:thumb:
Hahahah.....It's sad but prolly true:oink:

I'm lucky, or maybe it's my b/f that's lucky...we both ride, and we both enjoy riding together. I'll ride alone if he's too busy, but we also don't have kids and that free's up alot of time:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey Mark, my secret to riding is I just set aside 2 days a week, for me it's Tues. Thurs. and I say every week thoes are the 2 days I ride. Most weeks I do both days, and as an added treat I ride on the weekends as much as possible.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We basically set aside a night to ride (each solo or with other riding buddies) and one night to ride together. Right now we're lucky because we have great babysitters and Syd is so little her schedule is easy. I would go with Jackson's suggestion. Always have a bike and gear with you and when you can, get out and spin. You don't have to go out and work up a heavy sweat during lunch, just ride around town to do your errands and stuff.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
Those are WTB Exiwolf 2.35s - not quite a true 2.35, but nice air volume - they worked great today. :cool:
I should have been more general in my question. What do you think of riding a 29" bike?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I start working on my bikes. Cleaning, re-setting things and generally staring at them wistfully. Then I get cranky and short tempered. This tells my wife that I either need a ride or sex, and I usually get one or the other, sometimes both!
Commuting is just not the same, no time to thrash or get dirty, just get to work and get home. It turns into part of the job then, which automatically makes it no fun.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
How do I make time for rides?

I do as any irresponsible 17 year old would do.

I don't go to school/skip out on homework.

Bike more for errands. I hook up the Bob and pedal into town if I need lawnmower gas.

Stash a bike at work and use the half hour you have for lunch to wander the neighborhood.

Set up a two bit jump in your back yard and practice on it every odd moment you have.

Drag the bike along when you visit the in-laws and escape for a few hours.