Quantcast

How do you clean your body armor?

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I did a search, I swear…..

What method do you use to clean your body amour (i.e. remove the funk smell)?

I have been spraying them with Simple Green, hosing them off, letting them dry and then maybe using a little Fabreeze.

Is there a better way?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Permanent Press cycle in the machine - delicate selection.

Otherwise I hose it & wash with Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in hopes that it takes the funk out...

Gotta try febreeze, though.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I used to do the same thing, but found that the Fabreeze or Lysol would irritate my skin and the April freshness didn’t seem to last very long.

The past few years, I have been loading my knee/shin pads, gloves, etc. into the washing machine. I set the washer to delicate and only use cold water. I put in liquid tide and about a capful of Fabreeze. Once the wash is completed, I set outside to dry.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bathtub+detergent+scrub brush= clean armor.

Wash you gear regularly, your riding buddies will appreciate it ;)

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Wash you gear regularly, your riding buddies will appreciate it ;)[/QUOTE]

So true...otherwise you get to sit in the back of the truck on those long shuttle runs!

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I put mine in a couple of mesh gear bags, put em in the washer, cold/cold, throw in the Tide w/ Febreeze and Downy w/ Febreeze. The fabric softener makes it easier on the nipples if you forget your under armor.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've always just tossed mine in the washer with regular soap on the gentle cycle. and line dry.
after every weekends riding.

dainese.
rockgarden.
sixsixone.
been doing that for years
and all survive it well.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Washer should work for most people as long as you pick the right cycle.

I usually clean mine in the bathtub or just throw some detergent right on and hose it all down.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
5 gallon bucket in the yard + dish soap. For some reason my gloves stain everything black so I'm afraid to wash them in the washer.

My gloves smell like pretzels. Anybody else's gloves smell like pretzels?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
aye, i need to find the mesh bag i bought a few years ago. that did work pretty well. always a pain to unzip/rezip the dainese back plate though. those zippers they used suck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use a hose and a Rubermaid tub in the back yard with a dash of Arm and Hammer detergent. work a good lather, then let it sit for a few hours. I do 2 rinse cycles and hang to dry. So far so good.

BillE

Chimp
May 8, 2004
Franklin Ma
I just throw them in the kitchen sink with dishwashing detergent and hot water and let them soak, rinse them off and let them dry.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I know the pretzel/popcorn smell my gloves smell like that after they have smelled like something died in them and is rotting for awhile.

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
I did a search, I swear…..

What method do you use to clean your body amour (i.e. remove the funk smell)?

I have been spraying them with Simple Green, hosing them off, letting them dry and then maybe using a little Fabreeze.

Is there a better way?

Dn't wear that plastic courage and you will not have to worry about washing it.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Has anybody tried that new detergent that's marketed towards sports enthusiasts? It's supposed to break down enzymes or something better than standard detergent? I don't remember the name of it, obviously.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I had good luck last time I washed mine. Had it in the back of my truck when I went to the quarter carwash so I hung the armour in the floor mat hangers and sprayed away all the bad smells. Next time I might try the engine cleaner(Simple Green) option.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Tide cold water detergent, regular setting, downey ball full of fabric softener. Works like a champ, and my armor is holding up just fine.