Quantcast

How do you deal with pain?

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
"weakness is just pain leaving the body"?? BWAHAHAHAH...that sounds like something a marine would say.

"Pain is an illusion"? How about you let me kick you in the sack as hard as I can and we test that theory.

The way I see it, there is good pain and bad pain. good pain is the pain you get when you are pushing yourself to pedal a little faster, go a little further, or when a hot chick digs her nails in.

Bad pain is your body telling you "Way to go dubass! You knew better than to try that". I have developed, after numerous broken bones, surgeries, and general stupidness, some effective techniques for coping with bad pain:
1) The silent method- you purse your lips together, tear up a bit, try to act like nothing is wrong, and shake all over- maybe say "i'm okay, I'm okay and walk in circles" as you try to recover.
2) Profanity: Personally I like to say "MOTHER%UCKER!!" over andover again. Gettting pissed off helps.
3)Lying still and hoping you either pass out or it goes away. Ussually this is is when your friends are standing over you, sort of laughing, and asking "Uh, hey dude, you ok?..Dude?...DUDE?!"
4)If I am bedridden and it is excrutiating, I generally cram the pillow over my face and scream like a bitch.
5)drugs...just stay away from uppers.

maddogdh

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Highland Lakes, NJ
never had surgery "Knock on wood" But I have broken several bones and pretty much have beatin' The heck out of myself for almost 31 years. I taken painkillers after the bad accidents in life not all DH related, but never too much too long. Pretty much just deal i'd say pain makes me angry,angry makes me want to get back on my feet drugs aren't gret for coping with any aspect of life. I'm not preaching.

SCABRIDER

Monkey
Jul 19, 2005
santa barbara
i broke my foot a couple months back. then i fell on the broken foot alone (full body weight on it) 3 times when i was trying to get down the rest of the hill. i hurt really bad. but yesterday was my first day back on the bike so i'm happy...

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i deal with pain in my own way. for example when my wrist hurts. i hit it really hard and make it hurt more. i have no clue why this works but it does...

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
When I broke my femur in Oct. 2004 - I immediately got sleeping pills. I took them for three months because I could not sleep due to the extreme pain. My bf would massage my back at times which really helped. The first two weeks were the worst because I had a blood clot and was restricted to my bed for a while. The pain will end eventually, as everyone has said. Ice is the best thing ever -- to bad I could not use it for three months because of a blood clot :( Good luck!

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Hey guys, sorry not answering sooner, but since the original post I haven't been able to sit at the computer due to the pains.

My sister has been printing the thread so I've been following this thread although I haven't been able to reply to it. You've given me some really good advices here, and I want to thank you all the time you took to help me.

The uptade: Since last week, I have been to the hospital, and was seen by a few doctors. It seems that my recovery is not going as well as expected, the leg is still very swollen, and there are signs of slight infection. Wednesday or Thursday I'll return to the hospital to be seen by the doctor who operated me (he hasn't been in the country), and we'll see from there.

In the meantime they prescribed me some more pain killers, anti-inflammatory pills and ice 24h/day along with complete leg immobility.

I've been putting to use some of the advices given in this thread, but there are others that I just can't do, namely the ones that would require some kind of movement on the leg. I can't wait to be able to soak in a pool and start to swim a little.

My surgery involved opening two holes, one in each side of the knee, and a larger incision in the center (maybe 6" or so). I had meniscus cut and tendons were cut and put in place of the ruptured ligaments. I'm surprised to hear that some of you were walking or making exercises so fast, I don't know if it is a different surgery or different clinical situation, but I'm eager to start the recovery process.

Ice has been helping me a lot, but strangely painkillers don't seem to have a great effect on me (well the morphine they gave me in the hospital was effective ;)). Voltaren for example, doesn't do me anything... Therefore I have always a big bag of ice close by, and as suggested I have been trying to relax during the more painful moments.

I'd love to try the alcohol receipts but they don't go well with the anti-biotics :cool:

My friends have been a huge help, they go out of their way to be able to hangout with me a little, and they leave all kinds of cool gadgets (PSP and the likes) to keep me busy during the rough hours.

So... thank you ALL for the help, you've been really helpful, I'll keep you posted on the recovery :thumb: