How do you feel about cops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
bigginsis said:
He had to go get meds to protect him from any kind of disease she might have had and because she bit him, he had to get HIV testing. All for $28,000 a yeara.
Exactly... one of my closest friends was recently attacked and assaulted for no reason at all by someone who was just having a bad day and looking for a cop to take it out on.

When was the last time one of you monkeys ended up in the emergency room because someone kicked your ass on the job? If that happened, how would it make you feel that if you used any kind of force defending yourself during the fight, you would be made an example by the media, and accused of racism and brutality by every civil rights activist within 300 miles?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Ding! Ding! the cop chimes in.....

The ignorance of the general public as to what cops really do is amusing but mostly frustrating. Giving tickets is about 5% of my actual job....i usually just do that when i'm not playing referree to a bunch of idiots that can't figure out how to live together in relative peace. oh yeah.....ticket quotas are a bunch of BS....it is ILLEGAL for a department to require a quota for tickets, read the constitution:rolleyes: however, some departments are heavier in traffic enforcement than others...why? i'm glad you asked....because the CITIZENS OF THE COMMUNITY ASKED THE POLICE TO BE HARDER ON TRAFFIC. Everything we do is a direct correlation to what has been asked of the city/town manager who in turn has been told what to do by the citizens of the community.

as far as cops breaking traffic laws...yes, we do! we're allowed to. yes, we speed, yes we make illegal u-turns. i'm the first one to jump a cement median when i see a suspect vehicle in a robbery/shoplifting/assault pass me and i have to turn around quickly. and as far as speeding goes....we have a priority list of situations that require us to run "emergency traffic" with lights and siren...one of those is not a domestic disturbance. so lets say your daddy comes home drunk and is beating the tar out of you and mommy.....technically i'm not allowed to run emergency traffic unless there are weapons involved...but would you really want me to drive 45mph in a 45mph zone to get to you or do you think it would be ok if i could safely drive 60-65mph to get to you and stop daddy from beating you?

let me give you a rundown of an actual call i had 2 nights ago.
911 hangup. someone calls 911 and hangs up (happens all the time but i have to respond to check it out). i get there and i just happen to find 3 18 yr olds that i've been looking for that were involved in a harrassment case. so i'm sitting there talking to them about the case and checking to make sure everything's ok when the 21 yr old resident of the house comes out with a shotgun. i instinctively draw down on him when i see the gun and tell him to put it down. he says he's just putting it in his car. i tell him to put it down, he says he doesn't have to because it's his house. i tell him that he has 3 seconds to put it down or he'll be breathing through a hole in his chest. he finally puts it down and the proceeds to argue with me about why, because i have a badge and gun, i'm allowed to make him put his weapon down. long story short....everything else goes by fine and i tell him about what happens when you come outside with a shotgun and the Po-Po is there.

so anyway.....that's a typical call for us. the public expects us to help them at the drop of a hat but then gets upset when we try to enforce things that they voted for and then complain on us for doing our job. yes, at times we can be a'holes but it's usually when some punk kid on a bike gets lippy and tells us that he knows his rights because his uncles cousins' best friend's plumber told him about "the law":rolleyes:

i believe that before someone can bash on cops they must first do a ride-a-long on a friday night. i guarantee the perspective will change.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
manimal said:
<snip>when the 21 yr old resident of the house comes out with a shotgun. i instinctively draw down on him when i see the gun and tell him to put it down. he says he's just putting it in his car. i tell him to put it down, he says he doesn't have to because it's his house. i tell him that he has 3 seconds to put it down or he'll be breathing through a hole in his chest. he finally puts it down and the proceeds to argue with me about why, because i have a badge and gun, i'm allowed to make him put his weapon down. long story short....everything else goes by fine and i tell him about what happens when you come outside with a shotgun and the Po-Po is there.
You should've shot the guy for being too dumb to live............ holy moly. "I don't have to put down the gun because it's my house" :rolleyes: You, sir, had a golden opportunity to clean up the gene pool........... :D

-S.S.-

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
You should've shot the guy for being too dumb to live............ holy moly. "I don't have to put down the gun because it's my house" :rolleyes: You, sir, had a golden opportunity to clean up the gene pool........... :D

-S.S.-
trust me....i wouldn't hesitate to take him out...but...the gun wasn't pointed directly at me and i had the drop on him already. he was less than 5 yds away and i know that i could have double-tapped him before he could get the barrel pointed at me.

a lot of officers won't shoot simply because of the civil liability that comes along with the badge. we have an deputy in the county i live in that is still being harrassed about a perfectly clean shoot. the bad guy was naked, crazy and even fired off a round at the deputy. the dude was so high on crack that he broke into a church, bit into the brass offering plate leaving his teeth imbedded in it. he then went outside where the deputy was, fired 2 shoots from a revolver. the deputy shot back 3 times and killed him. the family is claiming that it was murder....even though there were 15 witnesses. 5 citizens and 10 law enforcement officers. kind of makes you second guess things at that critical moment. i just tell myself that i'm going home to my family and i'll deal with the politics later if/when i'm faced with a shoot/don't shoot situation.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I am going to mostly stay silent this time because I just got a speed trap ticket on Friday, July 30 right where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 for a stretch. I had the cruise control set on 74(9 mph over) and before I could punch it off, I could see the copper up ahead standing in the highway waving me over. The usual month-end special reserved for people passing South on 270 by Gaithersburg from the northern wilds of Frederick. Basically, my opinion of them waxes and wanes with my interim between tickets.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
llkoolkeg said:
I am going to mostly stay silent this time because I just got a speed trap ticket on Friday, July 30 right where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 for a stretch. I had the cruise control set on 74(9 mph over) and before I could punch it off, I could see the copper up ahead standing in the highway waving me over. The usual month-end special reserved for people passing South on 270 by Gaithersburg from the northern wilds of Frederick. Basically, my opinion of them waxes and wanes with my interim between tickets.

but....uh...you were still speeding right? hell, i used to hate the po-po....i've got several careless & wreckless charges from my sportbike to prove it (riding a wheelie past a cop that had someone else already pulled over :thumb: )

dude...i even knew the game when i was 16.....the rules are there to be broken and it's like playing roullette...sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't. when you do...suck it up, it's your fault.

oh yeah...to whoever said that we should be out busting drug dealers and not catching speeders.....how the hell do you think we get 80% of the drug busts? you think we just go knock on their door and they let us in? no..it's called traffic stops. you catch somebody speeding or running a stop sign that happens to have an arseload of weed/crack/heroin; they're always willing to talk in the hopes that the DA will lessen the charge. then in turn..we find the big time dealers. all from an annoying little traffic stop.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
manimal said:
but....uh...you were still speeding right? hell, i used to hate the po-po....i've got several careless & wreckless charges from my sportbike to prove it (riding a wheelie past a cop that had someone else already pulled over :thumb: )

dude...i even knew the game when i was 16.....the rules are there to be broken and it's like playing roullette...sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't. when you do...suck it up, it's your fault.

oh yeah...to whoever said that we should be out busting drug dealers and not catching speeders.....how the hell do you think we get 80% of the drug busts? you think we just go knock on their door and they let us in? no..it's called traffic stops. you catch somebody speeding or running a stop sign that happens to have an arseload of weed/crack/heroin; they're always willing to talk in the hopes that the DA will lessen the charge. then in turn..we find the big time dealers. all from an annoying little traffic stop.
A tip for those complaining about traffic stops...stop breaking the law! Do some poeple get pulled over for BS reasons? Sure but you're better off just taking it in stride and not giving the cop a hard time. I lived in New Orleans for 5 years, so I've seen how bad the police can be, but if you stay off their radar screen and stay out of their way, you'll have no problems.

I got pulled over on I-10 for speeding between Houston and New Orleans one time, and the cop pretty much told me that it was partially because of my Massachusetts plate (not common in the area and apparently suspicious). He wanted to search my car and for a moment I thought about "my rights." I made the decision to get it over with and I let him search my car even though I didn't have to. The guy was really cool and in the end sent me on my way with no ticket. Did I sacrifice my right to not have him search my car? Yes but I was back on the road in no time with no ticket instead of stuck on the side of the road with an irrate cop. I would think (my opinion of course) that a lot of people who complain about their rights, when it comes to a car search, have something to hide.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Lex said:
Did I sacrifice my right to not have him search my car? Yes...
Well you could have refused, then the cop could have just kept you there while he obtained a search warrant. And who knows how long that could take. Personally I would do exactly as you said, cooperate and stay under the radar. I've got nothing to hide.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
narlus said:
I REALLY LIKE THEM, A WHOLE BUNCH!

oh, i thought you said caps.
LOL! Me, too. Just don't share your caps or your crops w/ the cops during traffic stops.

And yes, Manimal, I was speeding. Had the pair who tagged me and the guy behind me not just released two more drivers back into the flow w/tickets, I could have sped on past them just like the other 2000 drivers who glanced over at my hazard lights and breathed a sigh of relief.

I don't shirk my responsibility for what happened but I can admit that I sure as Hell gave that annoying Fraternal Order of Police telebeggar a toolshed-worthy tounguelashing when he interrupted my bowl of Cap'n Crunch the following Saturday morning. :nuts:

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Pulser955 said:
I understand what cops do I use to do navy security. And in this area they do sit around handing out traffic tickets. I’m a construction worker. I’m not trying to bash cops I know they have a tuff job and we need them I’m questioning how the policy makers use them. One of the new ways they fight crime is to randomly pull people over and then go fishing for what ever they can find. What sux here is they pull you over if you fit a profile. And I fit a profile because of the sport bike. I get pulled all the time for no reason just because they are fishing.
Squid Patrol is not being a police officer.

I have been driving for 20 years and have never been pulled over when I wasn't doing something slightly stupid. I have driven everything from station wagons to lifted 4x4s to hot rods to harleys to sport bikes. Id venture to guess that your traffic stops have been related more to something YOU were doing than some sort of "profiling". So my advice to you if you wish to prevent your very important life from being dissrupted by cops "fishing" is to slow the heck down, and keep the revs at a reasonable level.

....and if you do get pulled over, and if you do have weed or some other substance in your car and you do get busted for it (I think this is the real fear isn't it?) then you deserve it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You know what? I bash on cops all the time.

"That damn cop. Had nothing better to do with their time but pull me over for a busted headlight"

"That friggin' cop. He just sits there and pulls people over for going 8mph over the speed limit. He should be out doing something important"

"Stupid cop cut me off. No lights or anything, just cut me off. Damn police."

Yep, I do. I know damn well I'm breaking the law when I speed, and it doesn't stop me from cussing at the officer who nabbed me under my breath. When it gets right down to it, though, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the hard work and dedication it takes to do a job like that, especially on the pay they get.

So, despite my occasional ranting, I appreciate guys like manimal who work their tails off for the community, even in light of idiots like me who call them names as they drive by (not to their face, of course).

Thanks, guys. :thumb:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
KleinMp99 said:
**** the poh-leese!!!!!

Nah most of them are alright.....unless your of course umm.....breaking a law?

SWEET!!! BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LAW!! BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LLLLLLLAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!

Oh and...of course NWA...f*ck the po-lice f*uck the po-lice F*CK EM....

Of course I do not condone these lyrics, but its fun to sing em...great songs...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dh girlie said:
SWEET!!! BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LAW!! BREAKIN THE LAW BREAKIN THE LLLLLLLAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!

SCREAAAAAACCCHHHHHHHH..........BOOM

this thread has been derailed, good job girlie

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
chicodude01 said:
SCREAAAAAACCCHHHHHHHH..........BOOM

this thread has been derailed, good job girlie
hahaha thanks...I just saw breakin the law and it brought me back to a few weeks ago to Ozzfest and Judas Priest singin that song...man Rob Halford can scrreeeeaaaammm...

Also makes me think of the episode when Beavis and Butthead are taking care of Andersons dog...an early episode...and they're all washin the dog washin the dog...and walkin the dog walkin the dog!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
I've been going through this for 2 1/2 years now. I've lived in the same general area for 17 years. Before I could even drive. 2 1/2 years ago I built a home in an adjacent city. Sure it's known for being a nicer town BUT. In the 14 to 15 years I lived in the bigger not as nice town I was pulled over maybe 4 times for traffic violations 1 of which I was ticketed. In the 2 1/2 years I've lived in the nicer town I've been pulled over 3 times and given three tickets. This towns cops are known an revenue generators. There is the one stretch of road that's like 5 miles. You can count 4 bike cops and a car cop running radar in the rush hour mornings and evenings. My tickets were 7 over 8 over, and turning right on red when the newly placed sign had been there 2 weeks. I asked for a brake, and he told me it's been there two weeks. I told him I've lived around here 17 years and that was the first time I've known about it. F-ing BS. Then both times I was hit with speeding I was told this is a no tolerance zone. The entire town is no tolerance. I'm going to start using that for everything too. Sorry A-hole I'm a zero tolerance person. Take that biatch! That crap is in our kids schools too. Some kid punches your kid, he can't do anything or he gets suspended to (no tolerance). I agree there are good cops and bad ones, but when it comes to patrol I think your basically a "new" cop, or one that won't every get promoted. I had a friend that was patrol, and he never was promoted, because he had a chip on his shoulder, like everyone owed him something. But I agree with you, don't hate the player(cop) hate the game (their policies). If the boss says, go and pull over every car that has the Texas covered on their plate and issue them a $200 fine then I guess that have to do it. Yep, That was a new law signed by some dumb fock. It's originally setup to bust these people that put tinted plate covers on the car or the ones that blurr the vision at an angle( toll cameras i guess), but it was a green light at first. It was a way to pull some one over. Needless to say I have no frame at all now. BTW I got pulled over by an unmarked doing 130 racing a sport bike. He didn't pull the bike over, he got me. You know why, it's too hard to catch a bike, especially when you've got the car already caught. Another note to that story is, he let me off. We BSed for a few, and he told me to slow down and be safe. I guess he had some tolerance. That or because it was late and not much traffic. I don't know.

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
constitutionally speaking, the pigs are here to "arrest and prosecute". "protect and serve" is 60's liberal propaganda.

the mind and heart of a cop is a simple one, very football/jock/bully-esque, most use their badge to buffer lack of self esteem or lack of intelligence. I have had plenty of encounters with pigs, and have known several people who became pigs.
one guy joined the pig force and i said, "so you couldnt think of anything else to do so you became a cop?

never had a pig do anything good for me, not once, ever.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
urbanhuckbot said:
Oh wow. :eek:

the majotiy of the time if you are dealing with a cop it is going to be a negative. It is because you were breaking the law or there is some thought you might have. It doesn't surprise me that you have never had a cop "do anything good for you."

They aren't set up to work that way.

Never mind directing traffic you so you can get yourself to and from where ever.

Never mind arresting that child molester that was creeping around your city.

Never mind pulling over drunk drivers.

Never mind ticketing jerks that think the highways are their own Nascar track.

Never mind all of that....

Chances are when YOU meet Mr Police it is not going to be in your favor.

My story:

Pulled over 3 times since I was 16 (13yrs of driving)
1st time I was at fault (changed from 35-25mph) and the cop got me...I was so paranoid looking for cops that I didn't pay attention to the speed change and the unmarked car behind me. I screwed up....I paid the ticket and called it even. I was 16yo.

2nd time I was heading up Stevens Pass heading over to Eastern WA on a sunny Sat morning....light traffic and I was jsut feeling good and going a little fast. :o: over a small rise I was tagged by the state patrol. I continued on even though I saw him pull out. Once I saw his lights I pulled right over. 2minutes later I was on my way with a friendly reminder to slow it down. :o: I did.

3rd time I was going over Snoqualmie Pass to Eastern WA (see a pattern here? :) ) and the last 5-10 miles before the summit it drops 10mph. It was dark late in the evening....no cars around really so I stay at the previous speed....red and blue light up my cab and I pull over. the officer was shinning his flash light under my legs and around the cab.... I asked him what he was looking for (very nicely..ashamed more like it) He was looking for beer bottles etc. I asked him if there was anything I could have done differently to not make him nervous....that probably confused him. :) a cooperative traffic stop :eek:.....probably some pool going at the station. All I had was a box of mail I was bringing to my little brother and some light clutter. (fountain drink container/Magazine/etc) He said I was goin 10 over...I acted surprised "where does it change" I asked. "Back about a mile" he said. I said something about I thought it changed up around the corner at the hill....he let me off as he assumed I was dumb ;) and since I wasn't really breaking the speed limit (a mile back) he would just give me a warning.

I was very polite for the last two...the 1st I was scared....new driver...dumb driving...just a scared kid and took my licks. The last thing I want to do is make a police officer mad or nervous. I give them respect and do what the ask....never done me wrong.

I locked my keys in my car (after going to pick up the engagement ring for my suprise proposal....I was a little distracted :o: ) I had no idea you had to call 911 for stupid stuff like that. I took 15minutes to call the police station directly....they told me to call 911. I said it wasn't an emergency and I felt wierd doing it they repeated the request. 40 minutes later I had a police officer standing next to my truck and before I could finish signing a waiver for any damages slim-jiming my truck might cuase he was done. I appologized for being a dumb arse and offerd to buy him a coffe or soda, something for helping me out and he smiled said no thanks and drove off. It was his 4th locked door that day. :rolleyes: Cops never help people.....:)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
urbanhuckbot said:
constitutionally speaking, the pigs are here to "arrest and prosecute". "protect and serve" is 60's liberal propaganda.

the mind and heart of a cop is a simple one, very football/jock/bully-esque, most use their badge to buffer lack of self esteem or lack of intelligence. I have had plenty of encounters with pigs, and have known several people who became pigs.
one guy joined the pig force and i said, "so you couldnt think of anything else to do so you became a cop?

constitutionally speaking...you're a fuggin idiot. "arrest and prosecute"? uh...those are two totally separate functions of justice. we have absolutely nothing to do with prosecution; that's the DA's job. calling "protect and serve" a LIBERAL propoganda show's your absolute ignorance.....what are you, like 15 years old or something? let me guess....you took a modern history class in community college right? hey genius, the liberals were the ones that were screaming "oppression" and "damn the man"....not the conservative notion of "protect and serve".

being a cop...i would LOVE to match wits with you...after all, it shouldn't be hard since i'm just a simple minded jock right?

dude.....you epitomize the word "tool".

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
urbanhuckbot said:

You are the biggest asswipe ever to post here, and I'm embarrassed that you're a fellow mountain biker. I'll leave it at that to be nice.

Oh and cops don't prosecute anyone dumbass.

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
i dont own a mtn bike, and i have never been in jail or arrested.i am definitely not "fellow" to anyone here, especially you.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
urbanhuckbot said:
i dont own a mtn bike, and i have never been in jail or arrested.i am definitely not "fellow" to anyone here, especially you.
That's for sure.

Matter of fact, there really isn't much use for you around here, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.