Quantcast

How do you firm up a Swinger 3 way?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So my fancy Smanshy New bike has a Swinger 3 way on it. The sag is a little too much, and it a bit to plush. I have no idea how air shocks work, all I know is it has a positive and a negative. I figure if I put more air in the positive it will make it firmer. Are my assumptions correct?

Sorry for the biking related post in the Lounge :blah:

J

JRB

Add air to the black valve. A good place to start is your body weight, minus 15 lbs or so. The red valve should have at least 50 lbs. Less red air is more plush, more air is less pedal feedback and less small bump feel.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
the swingers work with a certain amount of sag to gain the performance from the shock so you dont want too little sag. on my 5.5 w/ a swinger 4 way im running 25% of the shock stroke for sag

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
greenchris said:
the swingers work with a certain amount of sag to gain the performance from the shock so you dont want too little sag. on my 5.5 w/ a swinger 4 way im running 25% of the shock stroke for sag
Mine goes all the way through its travel when doing pretty much noting

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BigMike said:
Mine goes all the way through its travel when doing pretty much noting
Depending on what you want to do with the bike, you can adjust the air spring to whatever feel you want. If you like a quick responsive shock that acts like a hardtail you want to be into 25% of your travel and also pump up the "platform valve" to the max. If you want it more plush go into the 33% zone and ease back the platform. Or do what most people do and find a happy medium, memorize, then forget the numbers, and repeat later.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
How much do you weigh BigMike? I am 170 and run about 110-120 in the main chamber, then about 70 in the SPV so I have small bumb complience. My bike came with a Swinger Set Up guide that I could refer to if you need me too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hahaha... My girlfriend just looked at the posting list, glanced over at me somewhat suggestively and inquired, "What's a.. Swinger 3-way?"

It had never occured to me that the name of the shock could be interpreted that way - I had always just known the name as a shock!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
binary visions said:
Hahaha... My girlfriend just looked at the posting list, glanced over at me somewhat suggestively and inquired, "What's a.. Swinger 3-way?"

It had never occured to me that the name of the shock could be interpreted that way - I had always just known the name as a shock!
hahaha no doubt, man that just swooped straight over my head as well.:D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Lets see......

Berkshire, no I didn't get a manual. I bought the bike "used" (But like new)

Skooks, thanks for the tip

SK6, If I were going to get an Avy, it would go on my DH race bike :cool:

RPK, I weigh around 190

BV, Thats pretty funny. My girlfriend, my roommate (who rides) and his girlfriend are all here right now. I asked the girls what the first thing they thought of when I said swinger 3 way, and they both said somthing about sex. I asked my roommate, and he pointed at my bike and said a bike shock. :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
BigMike said:
Lets see......***snip***

BV, Thats pretty funny. My girlfriend, my roommate (who rides) and his girlfriend are all here right now. I asked the girls what the first thing they thought of when I said swinger 3 way, and they both said somthing about sex. I asked my roommate, and he pointed at my bike and said a bike shock. :D
Some guys just have they're priorities in order...;)

:cool:

:D

J

JRB

When I ran mine on my Salsa XC bike I weighed about 190. I ran 175 in the positive and between 75 and 100 in the SPV.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just messed with it and went out on a ride, I put 150 in the regular, and around 95-100 in the SPV. Felt pretty good, more like a hardtail then it used to on climbs, but still decended failry decent. I guess its just mess with it until it works :)

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
See I used to put a lot in mine for weighing on 170 and I would have about 10% sag. But the recommended sag is 25% and I finally figured out that it actually feels better like that. Make sure you have 25% sag.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
manimal said:
my bad, mine must be the 2-way. coil w/ only one place to put air in.
I quess mine is like that too, I can not find the "other" air intake anywere to save my life..

can you guys show me or tell me were it is...!?

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
BigMike said:

Thats a swinger 3 way. The black valve cap is the "regular," the red valve cap is the SPV, and the blue knob is compression
The black cap is the spring pressure, the red knob is the SPV chamber, and the blue knob is rebound damping.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
BigMike said:

Thats a swinger 3 way. The black valve cap is the "regular," the red valve cap is the SPV, and the blue knob is compression
upssy daysy

sorry may that i why i like picture so much

thanks.