Quantcast

How do you know when an F1 driver needs a urine test???

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sad but true.

montoya was a huge disapointment in F1.
so much talent and potential.
and he turned into the biggest whining underachiever in years.

mclaren informed him his services were no longer needed.
so he crawls back to "cheep" ganassi.
and now he's gonna be a good ol' boy.

nascar sees him as a draw to all of the south of the border fans.
and all this time we thought they were slipping across the border to find jobs.
i didn't know they were coming here to sneak into nascar races.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
dhbuilder said:
nascar sees him as a draw to all of the south of the border fans.
and all this time we thought they were slipping across the border to find jobs.
i didn't know they were coming here to sneak into nascar races.
Hey jackass. Are you sure you are not a Nascar fan?
:mumble:

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I read another article earlier today and Montoya raised a few good points. In NASCAR there is passing, and competition. I may be silly, but passing and close races are fun to watch and obviously more fun to compete in.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Although I'm not the biggest JPM fan I have to disagree with DHBulilder

He has podiumed in F1....how can you go to NASCAR after that? I would rather drive for the worst team in F1 rather than the best team in NASCAR....

I'm sure that JPM has made all of the cash that he could ever need......it can't be a matter of money....

How does one go from F1 to NASCAR? I just don't get it....

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
jeb4 said:
Although I'm not the biggest JPM fan I have to disagree....

He has podiumed in F1....how can you go to NASCAR after that? I would rather drive for the worst team in F1 rather than the best team in NASCAR....

I'm sure that JPM has made all of the cash that he could ever need......it can't be a matter of money....

It does seem contrary to a Eurocentric world view, heck I wouldn't demote myself either. It will interesting to see if he can hang with the NASCAR drivers.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Transcend said:
Maybe he prefers a little passing, contact and less ridiculous yearly rule changes?
Speaking as someone who has spent a little time in the driver's seat... (and not trying to slam you..I promise, just a difference of opinion)

Passing does happen in F1. Often. It's harder to do it when there are multiple styles of turns. Ask ANY racer how he feels about contact during a race - he doesn't like it. Rule changes hardly matter when you are not paying for them....

JMO

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Transcend said:
Maybe he prefers a little passing, contact and less ridiculous yearly rule changes?
Like restructuring the whole championship a few years ago so that the top 10 drivers fight it out in a hokey playoff format?

But hey, where else can JPM get points for coming in 43rd? I can see the draw. :)

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
or him enjoying left hand turns more than F1. i'm sorry, nascar is just a joke to me...give me motoGP, WRC and F1, there's real racing in my opinion.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
he is out of a ride, unlikely to get a ride on f1 again, whats left of cart is dying and the irl crapwagons are too scary/dangerous, even when compared to restrictor plate racing..

whats the next best $$$ thing??? of course nascar....
seeing him in dtm would have been cool, but i guess there is not as much $$$ to be made there....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
plus montoya has a lot of balls for ovals and contact racing (that michigan final with andretti exchanging paint at 400km/h was among t3h greatest moment of racing)
would be cool to see him in nascar..

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Echo said:
Dude, he was driving a McLaren. My dead grandmother could podium in a McLaren.
You have to be kidding me.....McLaren's haven't done much more than explode for quite some time. Did JPM not produce anything when he was with Williams?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
jeb4 said:
You have to be kidding me.....McLaren's haven't done much more than explode for quite some time. Did JPM not produce anything when he was with Williams?
Actually Montoya crashes just as much as his engine fails. Maybe his car's reliability has something to do with his driving skill. Kimi's car seems to be pretty reliable, except when Montoya rams into him.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Montoya is much like Ralph Shumacher. Neither one is worth the price, the only difference is that Toyota picked up Ralph for the puplicty and Montoya isn't going to have the same luck. NASCAR make sense, teams will give him more money than he could get from an F1 team, and he will probably do reasonably well. Besides right turns are overated.

On a side note, saw a couple NASCARs at California speedway doing laps, and damn was it boring. They don't even shift.

BillT

Monkey
JPM certainly has the talent to stay in F1, but I think he's tired of the circus, commitment and travel and just wants to slow down a bit. I imagine that if he ends up being somewhat successful and can attract some rabid Colombian fans to NASCAR, then the move could also be very, very lucrative to him as well.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ummbikes said:
Hey jackass. Are you sure you are not a Nascar fan?
:mumble:
what's with the name calling you pissant little whiner ?

i was a nascar fan dating back from the pearson, petty, allison, yarbrough days.
back when men drove the cars, and contact was the name of the game.
not this sanitized, made for tv daytime drama that it's evolved into.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jeb4 said:
Although I'm not the biggest JPM fan I have to disagree with DHBulilder

you don't get it either.

he came into F 1 with one heck of an impressive resume.
and i was a big fan of his.
he did fine with the williams team.

but then he came on board with mcclaren and with their recent history of mechanical woes, that and teaming up with kimi.
and then consistantly being out performed by him. left him feeling like low man on the team totem pole.
the end of last season, and all throughout this season, he has been a shell of the driver he has the ability to be.

and when you look around, other than F1. nascar is where the big $$$ is.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jeb4 said:
Speaking as someone who has spent a little time in the driver's seat... (and not trying to slam you..I promise, just a difference of opinion)

Passing does happen in F1. Often. It's harder to do it when there are multiple styles of turns. Ask ANY racer how he feels about contact during a race - he doesn't like it. Rule changes hardly matter when you are not paying for them....

JMO
Often? That's funny. Well I guess if you count passing during a pit stop.

As for contact, you haven't met many NASCAR drivers. Either that or you've only talked to them after they got punted.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Yeah... this is shocking news... and I am someone who has followed both NASCAR and F1 for quite a few years.

From hearing the interviews with JPM yesterday, I get the feeling there were a few reasons for going to CGR.

1) Ever since he switched to F1, he has commented about how he enjoyed racing in the US more. He still has a home in Miami. His family is here. Although he has the talent, and did win a few races, I never got the impression he was ever really happy in F1. He did better in F1 than Micheal Andretti, but I think the situation was similar. Although for the amount of money those guys make, I could put up with a lot of B.S., I can still imagine the "F1 Circus" gets trying after awhile and it would nice to go back to a less stressful situation.

2) Money. No IRL or Champ Car team could pay him the same money as a top NASCAR team. One of the F1 analists on Speed Channel mentioned last night that he had no real prospects to drive for a top F1 team next year. So it's possible he's making more in NASCAR than he wouldh ave in F1. Additionally, his hiring has probably opened the door for a host of potential new sponsors for Ganassi and maybe NASCAR as a whole.

3) Although it hasn't been mentioned, going back to Ganassi opens the door for a possible Indy 500 ride.

It's easy to say DFL in F1 is better than winning in NASCAR, but I'm not so sure. He has raced on ovals before, so the whole idea of "only turning left" is not foriegn to him. And he's driven the car before (Jeff Gordon's at Indy on the F1 course) so he knows what he's getting himself into.

Whatever happens, it should be entertaining to watch. The rumor is we should see him in a car (probably Busch series) before the end of this season. :)

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
dhbuilder said:
what's with the name calling you pissant little whiner ?
Your dumb comments about Hispanic people tool shed.

I guess you were trying to be funny? Anyways, just so you know there are plenty of people on this board who are either from Central or South America, or living there. Not everyone thinks it's funny to make flippant remarks about immigration and jobs. Or maybe it's just me.

BillT

Monkey
JPM is a racer...he'll be able to drive anything you give him fast given enough seat time. I imagine he weighed haivng a subpar F1 seat and the extensive travel versus a great NASCAR seat and more time in the states and decided to move on. I was never a huge JPM fan, but I hope he does well in NASCAR and I'll probably tune in to watch him and see how he does.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
BillT said:
JPM is a racer...he'll be able to drive anything you give him fast given enough seat time. I imagine he weighed haivng a subpar F1 seat and the extensive travel versus a great NASCAR seat and more time in the states and decided to move on. I was never a huge JPM fan, but I hope he does well in NASCAR and I'll probably tune in to watch him and see how he does.
Ganassi's cars aren't what you would call great by any stretch.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet he just likes fat toothless sunburnt chicks. I can't think of a better way to get them to line up ouside your trailer, I mean RV.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
DRB said:
Ganassi's cars aren't what you would call great by any stretch.
Nope, but the team is well financed. And I'm sure the Chip will up the budget even more after investing in such a high profile driver.

With all of the uproar over Toyota entering NASCAR, I can only imagine what will happen when you start hearing Spanish in the pits. :rofl:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Ian F said:
Nope, but the team is well financed. And I'm sure the Chip will up the budget even more after investing in such a high profile driver.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

I will say that a return to the Indy 500 must have been the main part of his decision. He had at least 1 other offer (potentially two) from more successful team for more money that he turned down in favor of the Ganassi offer.

I will say that from a marketing standpoint Montoya is a homerun for NASCAR. A minority driver with some Q rating is exactly what they have been coveting for the last 10 years.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ummbikes said:
Your dumb comments about Hispanic people tool shed.

I guess you were trying to be funny? Anyways, just so you know there are plenty of people on this board who are either from Central or South America, or living there. Not everyone thinks it's funny to make flippant remarks about immigration and jobs. Or maybe it's just me.
well seeing as how when i posted that i was sitting here with a fellow race fan who just happens to have recently(after years of hoop jumping and red tape cutting)become an american citizen after immigating from mexico.
he laughed and said."now our true secret is out."
i think you can put your race card back in your pocket or whatever orfice you stow it away in.

we all know j.p.m.'s talent on ovals is as good as anybodies.
it remains to be seen how he'll be treated on track.
handshakes and smiles in the paddock doesn't nessecarily mean they cut him any slack on the track.
just ask steve kinser,cristian fittipaldi etc...

and if he's going to become a good ol' boy.
he definately is more worthy of the midpack garbage that "cheap" has the ability to put him in.
the style of racing that nascar has turned into is less about car to car competition, than it is about tuning to facilitate a certain lap time.
we'll see how long it takes him to get in tune with the cars,crew chief and team.
he'll probably take a season to come to terms with who he can race with and who should be avoided at all cost.

but with the much touted car of tommorrow coming into play next year, he won't be the only one on the learning curve.
if he's gonna make the switch,(because nothing more than mid-pack F1 teams showed any interest in him.) this would be the perfect time in nascar to do it.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
DRB said:
I wouldn't hold your breath.
We shall see. It doesn't matter to me. I'm a fan of racing in general and don't really care who wins. Regardless of Gananssi's past funding history, I can't see him hiring someone like JPM and not putting in the best cars he can.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Ian F said:
We shall see. It doesn't matter to me. I'm a fan of racing in general and don't really care who wins. Regardless of Gananssi's past funding history, I can see him hiring someone like JPM and not putting in the best cars he can.
you need to have a chat with sterlin marlin, jamie macmurray, casey mears and probably very soon, reed sorenson.