Quantcast

How do you quite your job and not burn a bridge?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So I'll be giving my two weeks notice next Tuesday and I'm wondering how to approach my boss in a way that won't cause me to lose them as a future reference. Advice?

I figure I'll explain that I had a great time working here, learned many valuable tools and love the company in general, blah, blah, blah. Then go on to explain how I have a desire to own my own business and the opportunity has just presented itself to me with the merger of a business and the gaining of two partners.

My palms get sweety just thinking about it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
ncrider said:
I figure I'll explain that I had a great time working here, learned many valuable tools and love the company in general, blah, blah, blah. Then go on to explain how I have a desire to own my own business and the opportunity has just presented itself to me with the merger of a business and the gaining of two partners.
If you have a decent relationship with your boss, that approach should be more than fine. Be polite and respectful, and make it clear that you found a better opportunity rather than that your current employer is incompetent and unorganized (even if they are). Most people will respect your decision if they can see that you've found a better option.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Simply give them your two weeks notice and explain a new opportunity has opened up for you that you have to take. This kind of thing happens every day, you haven't burned any bridges until you call the boss a dick and defecate on his desk ;)

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
jacksonpt said:
If you have a decent relationship with your boss, that approach should be more than fine. Be polite and respectful, and make it clear that you found a better opportunity rather than that your current employer is incompetent and unorganized (even if they are). Most people will respect your decision if they can see that you've found a better option.

That's what I'm hoping. I've just never quite a serious job before.

Brian HCM#1 said:
Yeah maybe if you don't say a word they won't know you quit.
HA, that reminds me of this email I read where a guy just shows up at a corporation, sits at an empty desk, and starts working. He claimed he was from the satellite office. Supper funny.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zark said:
Simply give them your two weeks notice and explain a new opportunity has opened up for you that you have to take. This kind of thing happens every day, you haven't burned any bridges until you call the boss a dick and defecate on his desk ;)
Personally I would defecate on his desk.

What are you going to be doing now? Self employed? Working at Mt.Baldy full time? ;)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Zark said:
oooohhhhhhh! so thats why he wouldnt return my calls.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
What are you going to be doing now? Self employed? Working at Mt.Baldy full time? ;)
Hopefully if our good old pal will ever call us back, eh.
Actually this business venture should give me lots of time to focus on AMmbpppppbpbpbpppp.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Zark said:
Yeah, just be honest with your boss. Let him or her know that you have always wanted to start your own business, and now you're in a position where you can make it happen. I don't think anyone could be too upset with that.

As long as you're giving them a two week notice, you should be fine. The worst thing you can do is bail on your employer--which you're not doing.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Just stop showing up. The situation will work itself out (and you may get a few extra paychecks if your lucky).

Seriously though. Explain the situation. I guarontee your boss has been in your shoes before and will understand.

If he's bummed but supportive, great.
If he's bummed and andgry, screw him.
If he's happy... you may have problems.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
blt2ride said:
As long as you're giving them a two week notice, you should be fine. The worst thing you can do is bail on your employer--which you're not doing.
Yeah thats kinda iffy. I'm giving two weeks notice, but one of the two weeks I will be on "vacation" :D

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Good luck with the two partners. My partnership didn't work out so well and it cost me big bucks to get rid of him.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Put it in writing and be sure to thank him for the opportunity to work there.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Biscuit said:
Just stop showing up. The situation will work itself out (and you may get a few extra paychecks if your lucky).

Seriously though. Explain the situation. I guarontee your boss has been in your shoes before and will understand.

If he's bummed but supportive, great.
If he's bummed and andgry, screw him.
If he's happy... you may have problems.
Haha...that's a good point--well put!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Tell your boss you need to go to school full time to work on your spelling. I'm sure he'll understand.

:blah:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Oh man! I want to leave a steamer on my boss's desk sooo bad.
That would be awesome.

I love the 2 weeks notice/2 weeks vacation move. Nothing classier.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
ncrider said:
So I'll be giving my two weeks notice next Tuesday and I'm wondering how to approach my boss in a way that won't cause me to lose them as a future reference. Advice?

My palms get sweety just thinking about it.
I had to quite my job about a month ago. The phone conversation went as follows:
Me:"Hi Dave. I hate to tell you this, but money is tight and I have been offered a better job and will have to resign."
My Boss: "Ok. It was good working with you, and best of luck"
Me: "Thanks, it was good working with you too." Click.

It's really not too bad if you explain your situation.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
kinghami3 said:
I had to quite my job about a month ago. The phone conversation went as follows:
Me:"Hi Dave. I hate to tell you this, but money is tight and I have been offered a better job and will have to resign."
My Boss: "Ok. It was good working with you, and best of luck"
Me: "Thanks, it was good working with you too." Click.

It's really not too bad if you explain your situation.

I had one go like this:

Me: I'm sorry but I am moving to another shop. They offer better pay and a more relaxed working environment.
Boss: Oh...wow....I guess I understand.
Me: Good, thanks.
Boss: Was there anything in particular here that made you want to leave?
Me: Neither of us have time for me to explain that many things.
Boss: Ah...I see. Well, good luck.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
My friends dad was a wrench for a bunch of different race car teams over the years. He got pissed at AJ Foyt and walked up to him and told him that he's fired.
I've always wanted to tell my boss his company is fired. But I work for myself so that might be a bad move. lol