Quantcast

How do you racer a jump?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
you know, stay low on a jump? I suck at that crap unless it's a jump with no lip.

There's a pretty nice step up in the area that has a smaller jump infront of it that has to be jumped without catching air, otherwise you land too far down the landing and it makes jumping the step up wonky.

What's the deal with staying low of lips?

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You have to jump before the lip and lift the bike over the tip of the jump. Sometimes you can just let the bike come up to you and then push it back down to the landing. If the jump is small enough, straight up bunnyhop over the front and you get nothing but pump down the back side.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Woodys got that sh!t down, hit the lip as fast as you can and make your body like gumby, basically that sucks up all the lift up. Some cats I ride with get comfortable on a jump and try to hit it slow and booost, I try to hit it fast and scrub, I don't know why but going fast is really f'in fun.

I don't know. maybe its cause I'm old and afraid to get the skirt caught in the chain.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Do what woody says, throw some style in, it'll become ingrained in you and then you can scrub it out without even thinking. It's a great feeling.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
eh, if I don't pull up I still way overshoot the landing. I don't get how you push the bike down to the landing....

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Let the bike suck up into your body, stay low and push the front end over the lip, then dive into the lander, it'll take some practice, throw in a whip to scrub if you need.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Sounds like woody is describing how to pump or speed-jump a roller. 'Racer' ing a jump is more about relaxing off the lip, and then staying crouched and poised in the air so you can push down into the landing. Stay way loose off the lip, and then use all your might to push into the landing.

It helps me to visualize some physics:

Picture a ball rolling down a ramp. Gravity is pulling straight down on the ball, and the ramp is pushing up on it. Because of the angle of the ramp, it isn't pushing straight up, it's also pushing forward, making the ball roll. Same thing happens when you pump into a landing. That harder you push your bike down into it, the harder it pushes back, and thus, pushes you forward, giving you more speed for that next jump.

Maybe that isn't exactly what's going on, but that's what it feels like to me.