Quantcast

How do you remove Orange 223 pivot bearings?

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Does anyone know how to get the pivot bearings off a 223 so you can get the swingarm off? I think they are pressed on?

Thanks yo!

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Contact Details:
Orange Mountain Bikes Limited
Unit 3, Brookwoods Ind Est,
Burrwood Way,
Holywell Green,
Halifax,
West Yorkshire
HX4 9BH,
England

Telephone: 01422 311113
Fax: 01422 311611
E-mail: info@orangebikes.co.uk

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
bigdrop05 said:
How does Steve Peat go so fast on a single pivot ?
Cracia too on that cannondale !

oh, i have no idea how to get those berings out!
my guess ...call ORANGE if nobody posts here. http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/main/main.php
Yeah, tried calling this morning and no answer. I'll keep trying but, I thought in the mean time someone might be able to help me out that has removed them before.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Where are the transcend boys.. General Lee, etc? Help a brother out ;)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
unscrew all 4 bolts, 2 bearing covers and 2 pinchbolts. tap out the little spacer that the pinch bolt goes thruogh then use a screwdriver or other appropriate tool and tap out the bearing from the inside. when both bearings are removed the swingarm can be taken off. DO NOT try to bang the the axel out as it will not move. it runs through the frame and is welded in place on both sides, all you'll do is break something. its really not much different from removing bearings from most hubs.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
General Lee said:
unscrew all 4 bolts, 2 bearing covers and 2 pinchbolts. tap out the little spacer that the pinch bolt goes thruogh then use a screwdriver or other appropriate tool and tap out the bearing from the inside. when both bearings are removed the swingarm can be taken off. DO NOT try to bang the the axel out as it will not move. it runs through the frame and is welded in place on both sides, all you'll do is break something. its really not much different from removing bearings from most hubs.
Cool! I wasn't sure if I could tap out the bearings without damaging them. Thanks GL!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
ender said:
Cool! I wasn't sure if I could tap out the bearings without damaging them. Thanks GL!

why would you take them out for any reason other than to replace them?

regardless, if you tap them out carefully they should be fine. it also works if you remove just one bearing and leave the other one clamped in the swingarm, then smack the side of the swingarm w/out the bearing and it'll push the bearing off on the opposite side. all you'll have o do then is loosen the pinchbolt and push it out with your fingers.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
General Lee said:
why would you take them out for any reason other than to replace them?

regardless, if you tap them out carefully they should be fine. it also works if you remove just one bearing and leave the other one clamped in the swingarm, then smack the side of the swingarm w/out the bearing and it'll push the bearing off on the opposite side. all you'll have o do then is loosen the pinchbolt and push it out with your fingers.
So I can get it painted!

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Transcend said:
Easier way. undo ONE side...bang on swingarm with rubber mallet on the other. Reverse process. 0 harm to bearings or swingarm.
Are you sure it's cool to pound hard enough on the swingarm to get the pivot out without bending it? Seems a little scary to me.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
ender said:
Are you sure it's cool to pound hard enough on the swingarm to get the pivot out without bending it? Seems a little scary to me.
not sure what you mean by "get the pivot out, but if you are referring to the axel, read what i posted again. it's welded in place.

if you can change a tube or hammer a nail you can take your swingarm off a 223. it's not rocket science. unthread all bolts, tap out bearing. lather, rinse, repeat on opposite side.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
General Lee said:
not sure what you mean by "get the pivot out, but if you are referring to the axel, read what i posted again. it's welded in place.

if you can change a tube or hammer a nail you can take your swingarm off a 223. it's not rocket science. unthread all bolts, tap out bearing. lather, rinse, repeat on opposite side.
Ooops, I meant get the bearings out.

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Transcend said:
Easier way. undo ONE side...bang on swingarm with rubber mallet on the other. Reverse process. 0 harm to bearings or swingarm.
Oh man, was that other bearing STUCK! I finally got the small and large gear pullers yesterday and I actually had to use the large one that uses a cresent wrench. I thought I was going to damage the pivot from cranking on it so hard but, the bearing finally popped. I think it was glued to the paint or something. Now I can my frame painted!!!! Whee!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ender said:
Oh man, was that other bearing STUCK! I finally got the small and large gear pullers yesterday and I actually had to use the large one that uses a cresent wrench. I thought I was going to damage the pivot from cranking on it so hard but, the bearing finally popped. I think it was glued to the paint or something. Now I can my frame painted!!!! Whee!
cool! Decide on a color yet? I say orange - like the transcend team:

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
dump said:
cool! Decide on a color yet? I say orange - like the transcend team:

Yeah, I think I might go with orange over red. I really like orange. I did just get a brand new set of the silver decals with black outline. The decal set you can get from Orange even comes with a new metal headtube logo!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
ender said:
Yeah, I think I might go with orange over red. I really like orange. I did just get a brand new set of the silver decals with black outline. The decal set you can get from Orange even comes with a new metal headtube logo!
cool - I've seen the 222 in red... didn't like it that much.

nice :D