Quantcast

How do you ride demo?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
When you guys ride demo, which route do you take? What do you go up/down? How long does it generally take you?

Inquiring minds want to know. :clue:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The handful of times I have gone, I rode up and then back down. Then up to the parking lot. It never was very much fun on my big bike. I think I remember about an hour up from the parking lot, 15-20 minutes or so down, then another 30-45+ minutes back up to the parking lot.

I might be willing to give it another try once my new bike is done.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
I usually ride demo on my bike , but sometimes i bust out the razor scooter,ha.But anyway, I park in the lot, ride to the street, up buzzard lagoon, into the park, shoot down ridgeline and take whatever trail i feel like ,the funner ones are farther down so if you take sawpit for instance your ride out will be longer.I dont get up there much so I am pretty much good for only one loop,which is about 12 to 14 miles i think.Im down to meet up with some other monkeys sometime to head up there.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
If you park at the road closure it goes as follows:

3 minutes to the parking lot/bridge, about 45 minutes to the top of Ridge Trail, then about 10-15 minutes down Ridge, then another 10-15 down Braille (20 down Tractor, 20 down Sawpit), and then about a 30 minute climb out (35 for Tractor and 40 for Sawpit).

It's a blast, but definitely a trail-bike set of trails.

Big-bikes at Demo make me scream.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
My girlfriend and I may be out riding there this weekend. Not sure of day or time yet, but I haven't been in a while and I'm finally over (almost anyway) my gnarly chest cold/emphysema/tuberculosis/asthma/south african whooping cough.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
... I'm finally over (almost anyway) my gnarly chest cold/emphysema/tuberculosis/asthma/south african whooping cough.
That sounds awesome! haha Really, glad to hear you are feeling better. =]

My new bike parts should be here sometime this week. I will post GOOD photos of my new ride as soon as its together. I REALLY want to ride, but yesterday I had my wisdom teeth removed (all 4) and kind of want to die. I also dont thing my head would fit in my helmet. I hate my life.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Up to buzzard lagoon, down braille and out. It takes a bit under 2hrs usually. I've only been there a half dozen times or so and we always get skunked for a second loop for one reason or another (crash, out of day light, out of gas...). I'd like to try climbing tractor one of these days. It's supposed to be quite a bit quicker.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I'd imagine that climbing Tractor wouldn't be that bad.

It's up to the top, down ridge, down Braille, back up that gravely trail, back down Braille and out.

I did it twice.

I walked most of the way out.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Demo has some good stuff. I don't get out there much because there's just so much good stuff closer at UCSC etc, but I get out there every once in a while. Most people skip Sawpit because it's further out, but I think that's the most fun loop. If you want a couple runs, a good route is the standard way in, then all the way down the ridge to Sawpit, down that, up Tractor, down Braille, then back up the fire road out.

Another fun run is Corral, which is the first trail off the ridge trail, very close to the start. They have been doing a lot of work on this trail and there are several fun features to hit. You can ride down this one, then it intersects another fire road near the bottom (Sulphur Springs rings a bell?), which you can then climb back up - it comes out on the other side of the heli pad. Then over to Braille, down, and back up the fire road and out.