Quantcast

How do you save your pelvis?

I body-slammed a boulder last Thursday on the backside of Laguna. It hurt like f--- but I didn't expect to be this disabled; three days later and I can barely walk. Sneezing is the worst thing ever.

So I've been looking for different protective shorts, and I haven't seen any with serious padding for the 'iliac crest...' everything seems to stop too low on the hip. What do you wear, and what sort of damage have you sustained to that area? Thanks in advance!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Football pads with the inserts? I have bruised my hip/pelvis area pretty badly a couple of times, once in padded shorts and it helped a bit.

I think to effectively pad that area would also be very restrictive, hard to ride/pedal with what I would consider significant protection.

Football pads with the inserts? I have bruised my hip/pelvis area pretty badly a couple of times, once in padded shorts and it helped a bit.
I was thinking about hockey shorts or similar. True about seeming restrictive.

i practice pelvis thrusts. lots of them.
I haven't been practicing on sandstone. Maybe I should start with loam, then go to hardpack and so-on until I build up resistance. And dick callouses

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i practice pelvis thrusts. lots of them.
This is really the key issue here. Years before even picking up a dh bike I began my training just doing 'blank thrusts' whenever possible. Good hard punchy forward motion with no resistance.......at work.....in line at the grocery story.

Moving to loam and then boulders is a good process. I personally can send a peterbuilt 18 wheeler moving at 60mph back the way it came.

That takes time though. Be prepared for the road ahead.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I have been wearing padded shorts for the last few years and in my experience you are much more likely to hit the pad covering the mid thigh and up on the side. I have crashed a bunch of times on 661 pro bombers and POC shorts and they both work really well, the POC shorts are much more comfortable vs the 661s. Some of the new TLD shock doctor shorts might be worth checking out, they have a lot of coverage and look like they would be comfy:

http://www.troyleedesigns.com/news/article.php?news_id=1975

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have been wearing padded shorts for the last few years and in my experience you are much more likely to hit the pad covering the mid thigh and up on the side. I have crashed a bunch of times on 661 pro bombers and POC shorts and they both work really well, the POC shorts are much more comfortable vs the 661s. Some of the new TLD shock doctor shorts might be worth checking out, they have a lot of coverage and look like they would be comfy:

When I see your avatar, I really expect your response to be more like, " I don't always wear padded shorts, but when I do I wear POC."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Your avatar says "I don't always smoke, but when I do, I smoke crack."
if you like satirical/parody music and aren't afraid of extremely nsfw & harsh language, and poking fun at racial stereotypes, you should check out rucka rucka ali (which is where i got my avatar)

Hip pads in moto pants tend to wrap around the pelvis. If you've got DH shorts, all you have to do is stitch a 3" x 3" square of velcro to each hip in your shorts.
That's an interesting idea... My thrusting partner is pretty adept with sewing, maybe she can figure something out if I can't find it off-the-shelf.

I would rather not wear hockey/football/fencing pads because it seems like a lot of sweaty discomfort for a freak accident. I only get to shuttle maybe 1 ride in 10, so that kind of thing is a consideration.

Those actually look good, I'm going to find them and the POC's in store and check them out. Thanks!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
IMP, you said you were in Laguna? you know we have a Troy Lee Designs design center and retail store in downtown, on gleneyre...we should have some of those TLD Premium Protection by shock doctor shorts on display.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Hip pads in moto pants tend to wrap around the pelvis. If you've got DH shorts, all you have to do is stitch a 3" x 3" square of velcro to each hip in your shorts.
I've run the hip pads attached upside down, sticking up from the top of the shorts to protect my hips. Its not any type of substantial protection but It helps keep you from getting scraped up if you go for a slide. You cant even notice them with a jersey over the top.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
if you're not vaguely familiar with pop music (kesha, black eyed peas, stuff like that) some of the parody effect will be a bit lost, but the songs are still funny.
Unfortunately, I'm familiar with pop garbage. You can't live in a metropolitan area and not be, that sh#t's everywhere. Even when I go to my favorite sports bar, I'm listening to "Party in the USA" or something equally miserable. And yes, I need a new sports bar.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunately, I'm familiar with pop garbage. You can't live in a metropolitan area and not be, that sh#t's everywhere. Even when I go to my favorite sports bar, I'm listening to "Party in the USA" or something equally miserable. And yes, I need a new sports bar.
my fiancee listens to a lot of it, so that's how i'm familiar. now, sometime's when we're driving around and one of the songs comes on, i'll start singing the parody lyrics.