Quantcast

How do you see the trail?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've got a question for all you nearsited monkeys. My trouble seeing distances forces me to ride with my glass (or prescription sunglasses) on. I hate this, as they fog up, slip down and I have to constantly worry that they're going to get scratched or fly off my face.

I often ride in dusty conditions, so I'm not sure if contacts are a great idea and I usually ride with regular glasses on (as opposed to sunglasses) because the woods aren't very well lit.

Any ideas, suggestions, methods that have/haven't worked for you?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I ride with glasses and/or perscription sunglasses as well as I can't wear contacts due to having prisms in both lenses. If they're sliding down, get a pair of croakies (sp?), or look into a frame that has wrap-arounds for the ears. Or maybe a simple adjustment on the bows or nose pieces would help them stay in place better? Mine sit real good and stay in place...never had a problem. As far as fogging up goes, don't stop and they won't fog. ;) As far as them getting scratched, what can you do...it's the nature of the sport.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I ride with contacts and sunglasses. Never a problem. I use yellow or orange(persimmon) lenses in the woods -- they really brighten things up. You can also get clear. Regular amber(gray) tint for the road.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
SkaredShtles said:
Listen to Wumpus. Contacts and a pair of sunglasses with interchangable lenses. Works like a charm for basically all conditions - even when it gets dark-ish.
:stupid:

I used to use glasses but with all the road riding i've been doing this summer i got sick of the neck cramp from holding my head so I could see out the front of them. Got contacts and some wrap-around glasses that don't slip down my nose and we're all set. I also carry drops...

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Wumpus said:
I ride with contacts and sunglasses. Never a problem. I use yellow or orange(persimmon) lenses in the woods -- they really brighten things up. You can also get clear. Regular amber(gray) tint for the road.

I started wearing contacts last year, and have never had a problem with them when riding. I carry a small container of saline in the Camleback just in case I needed to clean a lense or add a couple of drops due to dryness, but have not had to use it. It's really nice to be able to see clearly straight in front of you, as well as to the sides. (IE: To the sides of where glasses lenses are).

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I just go with my everyday glasses. The PNW can get pretty dusty too, plus sweat tends to drip on them too. I usually just end up wiping them off on whatever part of my shirt is dry. Kind of a pain but it's all I have.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I only see out of one eye and I have a negative 9.5 prescription for the one that works, so probably see the trail a little differently than most.

I use regular glasses that tint in the sun. I used to get lots of scratches until I stopped using the anti-reflective coating that most places try to sell you. It's usuallly that coating that gets scratched. If I could I would use contacts (or get lasered) with regular shades, but I can't.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I had my optomotrist put some prescription lenses inside some Nike wrap-around frames. It works good, but I'm exploring buying some sealed glasses, and getting some presc. lenses put in there, too. (to keep dust out of my eyes)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I had glasses up until about 5 months ago and always had the same problems with fogging, slipping, scratching, etc. We saved up some money and back in April I had LASIK done. I'm now seeing 20/15 and its awesome. Contrary to what you see on tv, there IS a longer than expected healing time, and I've noticed a slight degradation in my night vision, but I'd do it again in a second just to be rid of my glasses. I don't know what your money situation is, but if you can save up a couple grand, its a great investment.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I had the same problem with glasses constantly slipping off my nose. I've gone to Oakley's for both my sunglasses and normal glasses. The combination of the straight ear stems and whatever material the nose pads are made out of has stopped it almost completely.

The fogging up part, I can offer you very little help. I've tried everything from anti-fog stuff to spitting on the lens with little or no success. The one piece of advice I got that seems to work... go faster the increased air flow seems to allievate the fogging.

I'm unable to wear contacts. I wish I could but they simply don't stay put due to my eye shape.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use the Specialized sunglasses, and they really do adjust to light. Contacts as well, but when I know my route is mostly exposed to sun, I will use my prescription Oakley Juliets:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i had lasik last january and can't believe i didn't do it sooner. i drove to atlanta from NC the day before the surgery, had all my pre-op stuff done the same day as the sugery and drove home to NC the next day without any pain or problems.
prescripton glasses/contacts will eventually only force your eyes to get worse as they compensate for the refractional differences. I was lucky enough to have my brother perform my surgery so it was free but i'd gladly pay $5k if i had to.....so worth it. went from 20/400 to 20/15 in both eyes.

but before that.....i wore contacts :D

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
a few years back i was introduced to a girl named wink... she is a cofounder of Zeal optics... back then they only had a few models, now they are huge and have a ton. Most of their models are prescription ready and are not those silly inserts.. the lense itself is presription. I have never , ever had a problem with there glasses falling off ... I am on my fifth set of glasses now.
you should def check them out!!!

ZEAL Optics

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
manimal said:
um....so what happened to the previous 4 pair? they fall off on the trail? ;) :D :p
its actually been over 10 years and now that they have various styles I went with different models and colorsand different color lenses. all five pairs are still with me and used through out the year

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Word! Zeal makes some great glasses, and they will be my next pair of Rx sunglasses/lenses. Right now I've got a pair of Rudy Project Kubos and while I love the frames, they're a year old the lens tint has started to degrade and their customer service has been less than helpful.

Hmmm....I should see if I can pick them up as a sponsor.... :think:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
contacts, no eye protection/sunglasses (this year)

almost never had a problem, but a few years ago I was practicing for a DH race, wearing goggles, and twice I lost a contact at the very same spot on the course...I was so lucky being I had 2 spares in my car being I'm pretty much blind

I want lasik!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Wumpus said:
I ride with contacts and sunglasses. Never a problem. I use yellow or orange(persimmon) lenses in the woods -- they really brighten things up.
:stupid: That is what I do. Oakley Half jackets with persimmon lenses.

I have really dry eyes and it can get very dusty where I ride so I keep eye drops in my Camelback in case the need arises. I always keep my glasses, lense cleaner and case in the car in case the contacts start bothering me so much I have to take them out before I drive home. I can't drive very well without them. :think:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Thanks for the great responses! Now I've got a lot to think about. I'm not completely blind without glasses, so I'm not sure if I would want contacts in all the time.

Now it's just a matter of finding out what's economical (my insurance only covers the exam) and then find the best place to go (local dr. or big chain)?

jcr23

Chimp
Sep 5, 2005
Wumpus said:
:thumb:

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Wumpus said:

I've recently switched to daily disposable lenses and just carry drops and some extra lenses..

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am a big fan of Smith sunglasses and have the Sequels (innerchangeable lens). I haven't had a problem with them sliding down and they seem to breath well enough that I don't fog up too bad either.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Since this has come up: Does anyone know any companies that do sport and sunglasses in strong prescriptions? I've looked into it and nobody seems to go over like a negative 6 or 7, I need a negative 9.5. Not oakley, smith, etc., none are strong enough...

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I even lost a contact yesterday and I got the little raisin off of my glasses and rewet it and re-installed. First time in a long while.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
OGRipper said:
Since this has come up: Does anyone know any companies that do sport and sunglasses in strong prescriptions? I've looked into it and nobody seems to go over like a negative 6 or 7, I need a negative 9.5. Not oakley, smith, etc., none are strong enough...
im not to sure but try zeal.. you can give them a copy of your prescription and ask if they can do it.. a lot of the times its really hard to get a strong prescription when you choose a wrap-around style glasses...but if you stay pretty basic I dont think you will have a problem

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
OGRipper said:
Zeal only does up to -7 I believe.