Quantcast

How do you ship your bikes when sold???

Mizzle

Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Reno and Vegas
"I went to ship today via usps, and because it was oversized, there was going to be a surcharge of $101."

SO, how does everyone ship, and this was for frame only.
Who do you use to ship?

Thanks,
John

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
usually throw it in a box with some expanding foam.

UPS, generally, as they seem to be cheaper than FedEx.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DirtyMike said:
Take it to your LBS and pay then 40 dollars to pack it up in a Bike box. Then go down to UPS or your USPS and ship it. Dont forget to Buy INS

You pay your LBS $40 for them to pack up a bike for you?
Are you real rich or real stupid?:rofl: :)
Bike shops will give you a bike box for free.
Seriously.:clue:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
OK, I just went through this, so listen up:

-Go to your LBS and get a FRAME SPECIFIC box. They are designed to get around the surcharge by being small.

-Pack it LIGHT.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I have shipped more than 2 dozen bikes in the last few years, I have gotten to be a master in downsizing boxes to make them smaller to save shipping charges(make sure you have good tape if you downsize) I price shop online before I end it out, lately fedex Ground has been the way to go. There was this one time I sold a FS bike to a guy in the Coast Guard who was stationed in Jeunau Alaska, there are no roads to there everything must come by Air or Boat, and shipping was going to be over $125 (in 1996!) so I ended up splitting the front and rear triangles and shipping the bike in two smaller boxes for $75.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
DHL is by FAR the cheapest for ground.

I had a road bike I was selling and I went to various ups places to see what it would cost to ship it (It was already packed) and the quotes was about 90 bucks, about teh same for fedex.

DHL was 58 dollars. Those guys rule.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
frames ups
Ive found fedex the cheapest for full bikes.. but UPS is close.. it may actually be cheaper to use 2 boxes.. it gets expensive due to the box size.. not necesarily the weight

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I shipped an AC frame for 35 dollars through USPS with 3 day shipping, delivery confirmation, and 300 bucks incsurance. USPS is by far the cheapest service. UPS wanted over 100 bucks to ship the same package. And if you are shipping frames use a childrens bike box. It makes it much cheaper.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
HOLY CRAP! you seriously packed a frame with expanding foam? It doesnt hurt it? How do you get it back out?

When I've shipped stuff, USPS is FAR cheaper for international, DHL for big boxes, UPS for small.