Quantcast

How do you slumber?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I have come to the conclusion that it is time for a major mattress upgrade. I have been sleeping on an expensive Swedish compressed foam mattress, but its about 12 years old now, and it's shot.

So, I wonder into the bedding center of my LFS (local furniture store) and get schooled on the latest rage: memory foam.

I liked the 11" Sealy Posturpedic True Form Memory/Visco Foam Mattress quite a bit, but about $1900:eviltongu for just the king mattress (my box springs are fine).

Anyone sleep on this "developed by NASA" memory foam?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Not sure if this helps you much, so take it for what it's worth.

We have an add-on memory foam thing, i.e. typical mattress with a layer of "aftermarket" memory foam.

I can see the appeal to the stuff for sure. But our mattress alone borders on too soft for me, and the memory foam makes it worse. I think a nice firm mattress wiht memory foam would be great.

BTW - our memory foam came from overstock.com.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We were in the same boat and are still hunting for our new mattress. We thought the memory foam looked great (except for the price) and were told that it might be warmer than a regular mattress.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There was a thread about this recently.

My advice:

Go cheap and comfy because a mattress ought to get nasty enough that you'll want to change it every 5 years. :D

For reference: we have a queen Denver Mattress pillowtop that's comfy for us. I think it was ~$350.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
There was a thread about this recently.

My advice:

Go cheap and comfy because a mattress ought to get nasty enough that you'll want to change it every 5 years. :D

Dirty, kinky, hippy.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
As it should be! :thumb:

If you're not knockin' boots with regularity you may want to look into one of those expensive ones that'll last 20 years. :D

Or get a mattress cover like my wife and I have ;)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
SkaredShtles said:
One of those plastic ones? No way. Those suck.
Hey, no. I'm not that nasty.

No, it's one of those fluffy quilted thingys. It gets pretty funky but can be washed before the funk corrupts your expensive mattress.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I tried one of those 4" memory foam pads... used it for 10 minutes and sold it on eBay... suxored.

I really need something that will support nicely, not move when selected guest has rikki-legs and will be good on lumbar spine... Seems to be a huge gapper between the $500 and the $2,000 matresses...