Quantcast

How do you tape a wrist

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I injured my right wrist and recently injured my left...no not that way. So I decided to buy some athletic tape and practice some preventative medicine. How are you supposed to tape a wrist and how tight do you want it? For those who have to know I cased a jumpe on my bmx bike all on the front wheel. The shock went straight to my wrists and now they're sore and weak as hell.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Dog Welder
I injured my right wrist and recently injured my left...no not that way. So I decided to buy some athletic tape and practice some preventative medicine. How are you supposed to tape a wrist and how tight do you want it? For those who have to know I cased a jumpe on my bmx bike all on the front wheel. The shock went straight to my wrists and now they're sore and weak as hell.
Wrist guards yo. I wracked my wrist djing last month or so too. I've since gone to 661 wrist guards. The evs are nice too.

As for taping, you're going to want to do a similar thing that the guards do. Try wrapping from in between your thumb diagnaly (sp) to the outside of your wrist and around the wrist itself. You're wanting to prevent hyper-extension, so think in those regards whilst experimenting.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I'd suggest guards as well. Taping is tricky if you can only use one hand. You'll spend enough money on athletic tape and prewrap in a month to pay for 2 braces as well. There are all sorts of nice braces out for cycling now, check 'em out.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
So once my wrists have been rested how do I go about strengthening them? Punching bag has been suggested...what about doing pushups on the knuckles? I've been told about the pole with a length of rope and a small weight attached. Cuz right now wrist curls hurt like a mofo so I can't even go to the gym and do my excersizes. ie cleans, curls, ...basically anything that requires to you hold a bar.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by Dog Welder
So once my wrists have been rested how do I go about strengthening them? Punching bag has been suggested...what about doing pushups on the knuckles? I've been told about the pole with a length of rope and a small weight attached. Cuz right now wrist curls hurt like a mofo so I can't even go to the gym and do my excersizes. ie cleans, curls, ...basically anything that requires to you hold a bar.
Weak wristed little biatch that I am..

What you do is get a dowel about 18 inches long. Attach a rope, cord, what have you to the center of the dowel. At the other end of the cord, attach a weight of some sort. A bar weight would be ideal, but whatever you have will work. Take the dowel in your hands like you would a handlebar. Twist the dowel toward you with both wrists. The cord winds around the dowel until the weight reaches it, slowly let it out. Repeat. I'm thinking the cord is about 3 feet long. Do a few reps and then switch your hands so that they're now facing up. Repeat as above. Have fun.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
If you have tweaked it that badly (can't grasp weights right now) see a Physical therapist who can evaluate where you are weakest at and what you can do to improve. Otherwise you may do more damage to your existing injury.

You value your time and your strength - may as well spend the cash to do rehab right.