Quantcast

How do you tote your kit?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Upgrading cameras soon, wanting to start shooting sports, mountian bikers and skiiers/boarders. kids soccer & hoceky etc. Need to carry kit securely & safely...hit me with your pack/bag/technique reccomendations...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
www.kgear.com packs for lenses + body with small lens mounted within a large Camelbak backpack.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Everything:
Lowepro Omni Trekker. Converts from shoulder to attache to backpack.
Holds 1-2 bodies, 3-5 lenses, 2 speedlights, swivels, chargers, cables, etc. Can even hold a full size tripod on the outside.
Discontinued, but you can find some of the different size "Omni" bags on eBay sometimes. (they are made to fit into corresponding Pelican cases)

Small trips/walking around:
Either a small or medium Timbuk2 bag with a Mountainsmith "Kit Cube" inside. Holds a body, 1-2 lenses and maybe a speedlight. Has a drawstring, stuff sack type closure so inside a Timbuk2, it's pretty much rain proof. Can be put inside most any bag, case, backpack, etc.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
My gear stays for the most part inside a Lowepro mini trekker. Its okay at best as far as backpacks go, if I had to lug my gear around for any length of time that wouldn't be my first choice. It currently has a body and four lenses, two speedlights, set of pocket wizards, and some miscellaneous stuff in it.

For hiking I'll usually take my Lowepro Photo sport. I like this pack a lot, it'll hold the camera and either a small prime or flash in the camera compartment plus some snacks, spare clothes, and any other little things in the top compartment. It can take a hydration bladder and is a pretty versatile pack. Carries the weight well.

I also have a clik chest pack which works well when I'm hiking and need the use of both hands for one reason or another.

Lastly I have a Patagonia messenger bag with a tenba insert that'll take a camera plus lens plus flash. It's a fair amount of weight to carry across one shoulder and can get pretty uncomfortable if you lug it for any amount of time.

I'm still looking for the ideal pack. Still haven't found it yet.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
For hiking I usually take one camera and lens. Sometimes a flash. So it just goes into my day pack, or would if it wasn't around my neck the whole time.

Elsewhere I usually use my messenger bag. It's not perfect, but I already have it, and it works. Some day I'd like something like a Domke F2. I don't have enough stuff to fill it though.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
One question matters here: Are you going to be riding/boarding/skiing with it?

(Knowing, of course, that when you do any of the above with camera gear, you're not having fun, you're just trying to not destroy the gear.)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Elsewhere I usually use my messenger bag. It's not perfect, but I already have it, and it works. Some day I'd like something like a Domke F2. I don't have enough stuff to fill it though.
I got that Mountainsmith insert for like $25 at REI. It turns any messenger bag into a better-than-a-Domke-bag in my opinion.

I don't get the appeal of Domke bags anyway. They are canvas with thin padded inserts (which are shoddily sewn) and sh1tty steel hook clasps that are a pain to open, and all for a ridiculous amount of money. WTF?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004

(Knowing, of course, that when you do any of the above with camera gear, you're not having fun, you're just trying to not destroy the gear.)
If I was riding or doing anything else that might risk impact, I'd spring for a Boblbee hard shell pack and a photo insert. Not that it would save the camera if the impact was great enough, but it would fair better than any soft sided pack.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

i dont. i leave the dslr in the car.

i have the gopro for that. set it up for pictures every 2 seconds, and pray for a good picture to come.

i had a case logic bag, it had like a suspension thing for the camera. excellent bag, had room for a body+big lens + 1 extra lens, plus small pockets. (got stolen with all my stuff though). now i carry my stuff in a $35 canon bag, which has proved to be good for travel (if carried on the waist), since it holds my camera, passport, wallet, deflated neck pillow and small random travel things.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Coincidence?
nope.
went downhill riding, to a big hill next to a slum... my window was broken, and they stole my camera plus 2 lenses, bag, xc helmet, camelback, bike tools, radio, wallet.... they forgot to take out the tv and the dvd player (they were hooked to the roof, and apparently, they didnt notice them).

had i caught them, i swear i would have tied and dragged them behind my car... all 3 unpaved miles to the police station. although my wife/attorney strongly opposes my methods:D

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
had i caught them, i swear i would have tied and dragged them behind my car... all 3 unpaved miles to the police station. although my wife/attorney strongly opposes my methods:D
That's funny if you say it in your head with a Hunter S. Thompson voice. Bonus points if your wife has a suitcase full of hallucinogens.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
That's funny if you say it in your head with a Hunter S. Thompson voice. Bonus points if your wife has a suitcase full of hallucinogens.
i have, seriously, had this conversation with my wife.

me: "in the event i caught a bike thief, or a car burglar. how liable will i be if i tied the guy to my hitch and dragged him for 2 miles, and how can i avoid/diminish it?"
wife: "you are crazy...".
me: "no, but seriously.... if i put a helmet on the guy... could i claim i had no intention of inflicting lethal harm"... "would that improve my standing in case of a legal proceding?"... "whats the most i could do, and how i could do it, in order to have the best standing for when legal issues came?"... "i dont mind a fine and being under parole, as long as there is no effective jailtime"
wife: "dont you ever try it. i swear i wont come to court if you do".
me: "dont worry... am just asking, besides, you dont have to come.. my sister is also a lawyer".
wife: "dont you ever dare, am serious...."
:p

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

Only as much as needed to get shots...nothing crazy...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Only as much as needed to get shots...nothing crazy...
I'd look for a deal on a Lowepro/Thinktank/etc. in the size you want. Lowepro stuff ends up on closeout sometimes.

The f-stop packs are drool worthy, but do you really need a downhill rig for a fireroad?

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am not getting silly with a bunch of expensive gear on my back on a bike, but when I ski things are a bit different. I like the Lowe with water bladder options...