Quantcast

How doe one print out a directories contents?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OK... So I have amassed a fairly decent collection of MP3's and would like to have a hard copy list of the bands and songs. Does anyone know how to print out a listing of a folder/directory on the PC? Would I need 3rd party software? Any help is mucho appreciated! Thanks!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Easy.

Pull up a command prompt.

Go into your directory.

dir > songs.txt

That will create a new file called "songs.txt" with the output of "dir" in it. You can use filters on the dir command if you want (dir *.mp3 for instance).

Legacy commands are fun! :D

You can go directly to dir > prn if your printer is set up properly to work with DOS programs.

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
There's a great tool called TreeSize...especially for an MP3 fiend. I use it at home and at work on my servers. It will graph directory sizes, show wasted space, and does nice directory printouts sorted any way you want, etc, etc, etc.

A super handy and small tool to keep in your software toolkit and IT'S FREE!

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Addendum - seems they've changed it a bit. The FREEWARE version is a bit stripped down. The PRO version has all the extra bits and pieces that will let you print directories, shows pie charts of drive space utilization broken down by directory, etc.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/ Download the trail version!

What MP3 player are you using? WinAmp includes a neat utility for dumping your playlist to HTML...then you can print/save, whatever you want.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ahhh, yes! DOS! I forget about her. She's hiddin behind her sister with too much make up, Windows.

I am also going to give TreeSize a try. Sounds pretty cool. I am indeed using Win Amp. I am running version 5. I will check it out and see how well that one works.

I am trying to do this in the easiest way possible. The thought of typing up 10,855 file names and 1,104 directories makes me shudder.

bikeCOLORADO

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Colorado Springs, USA!
In Winamp, in the Playlist Editor:

Click the "misc" button, select "misc"...

Select "Generate HTML Playlist".

Of course it only dumps what is in the current playlist...so you can use that to your advantage by breaking your lists up pretty easily.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Ciaran said:
OK... So I have amassed a fairly decent collection of MP3's and would like to have a hard copy list of the bands and songs. Does anyone know how to print out a listing of a folder/directory on the PC? Would I need 3rd party software? Any help is mucho appreciated! Thanks!
ls -1 > list :eviltongu
or
ls -1R > list (for subdirectories)

what's this DOS crap? :nope: :blah: