In a van.... down by the river
Mine is going pretty well.

Basil, round 1

Basil, round 2

Sage

Oregano

Eggplant

Red or orange or yellow or purple bell pepper :think:

And the piece de resistance. An heirloom tomato with detail of one of the flower clusters

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
nice. If you lived in the deep south you could have a real garden with a real growing season. (and date your sister!) :D

here is how our garden grows....

our heirloom cherries from La's grandma. these all volunteered from last year. I chopped about 200 & dug up the rest to give to friends.

here is the veggie garden.
asparagus beans, peppers (habs, japs, pablanos, bells, cayenne & serrano), beefsteak maters, roma maters, zukes, some garlic, radishes, green oninons.

garlic blossoms.

sage that lived through the winter (outside....a real trooper ;) ).

more heirloom cherries waiting for a good home.

we also have basil galore, arrrugala, mesclun mix, tyme & mint.

I love the summer. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TN said:
nice. If you lived in the deep south you could have a real garden with a real growing season.
Hmmmmm........ long ago I came to terms with the fact that I'd rather *not* have the heat and humidity required to grow a garden in my everyday life. :p

Growing season in my sunroom is from February-November. :thumb:

-S.S.-

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmmm........ long ago I came to terms with the fact that I'd rather *not* have the heat and humidity required to grow a garden in my everyday life. :p

Growing season in my sunroom is from February-November. :thumb:

-S.S.-
well, i would trade our long-ass, relentless summers for some mountains anyday & come August I will be dreaming of that white stuff you guys have.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
here is how she grows now....

what you cant see....rosemary, jalapenos, serranos, bell peppers, gralic & some flowers & stuff.

we have picked over 500 tomatoes & have 2 freezer bags stuffed with Habs. Man, I love summertime. :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
THANKS!
The secret.....compost. we have been composting for the last year & a half. Besides helping the garden we only produce 1 bag of trash a week (we recycle too).

Narlus-chile fan, huh? we ate half of one when they first started ripening up....holy chit! I love hot stuff & can eat serranos all day but damn that hab was HOT! I had some kind of weird neurological reaction after eating it....I couldnt quit laughing, sweating & crying. It was awesome. :evil:
we will drop you a PM next time we are in Bahston, if we have any of these wicked hot habs left. ;)

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Our garden was doing well, despite getting a late start. Unfortunately the deer came through like fat people at a buffet. They ate all the pepper plants. (Who knew deer liked jalapenos and habaneros?) They ate all the broccoli. They ate a whole row of sweet onion plants. They've managed to nibble on a patch full of big pumpkins. They can't eat the whole thing, but almost every one has big ol' deer teeth marks in them. The only thing we have left are a bunch of tomato plants and some squash plants.

No good tick carrying, garden eating, vegetarian bastards. :mumble:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Atomic Dog said:
Our garden was doing well, despite getting a late start. Unfortunately the deer came through like fat people at a buffet. They ate all the pepper plants. (Who knew deer liked jalapenos and habaneros?) They ate all the broccoli. They ate a whole row of sweet onion plants. They've managed to nibble on a patch full of big pumpkins. They can't eat the whole thing, but almost every one has big ol' deer teeth marks in them. The only thing we have left are a bunch of tomato plants and some squash plants.

No good tick carrying, garden eating, vegetarian bastards. :mumble:

what you need is a gun.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have to dig through some pics when I get home. We planted our first ever garden this year in our new house.

We have:

Romano beans
Snow peas (these are dying off now)
Zukes
Summer squash
Crookneck squash
Freckled romaine lettuce
Red leaf lettuce
Kale
Red chard
Green chard
Broccoli
Bell peppers
Sage
Rosemary
Basil
Pepper mint
Roma tomato
Some weird ass heirloom tomato
Watermelon
Cucumber
Beets

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My tomatoes are suffering from some horrid disease. They are withering away and dying. And to top it off, they taste mealie like store bought tomatoes. I didn't know you could kill the things.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
johnbryanpeters said:
Tobacco leaf mosaic virus? Don't reuse stakes, plant them in in a different location each year.

Could be. It's my first garden in the present location. We moved in too late last year to plant. The garden plot was there when we moved in. Who knows what was in there before. Also the garden is up against the fence. It's also possible that the neighbor sprayed weed killer on his side and killed my plants. He's kind of a dick. I wouldn't put it past him.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
jdschall said:
Could be. It's my first garden in the present location. We moved in too late last year to plant. The garden plot was there when we moved in. Who knows what was in there before. Also the garden is up against the fence. It's also possible that the neighbor sprayed weed killer on his side and killed my plants. He's kind of a dick. I wouldn't put it past him.

does this said neighbor have a dog. my friend planted some tomatoes up against her fence and they all died and she couldnt figure out why.. one day she caught her neighbors dog peeing through the fence onto her dead tomato plants.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
laura said:
does this said neighbor have a dog. my friend planted some tomatoes up against her fence and they all died and she couldnt figure out why.. one day she caught her neighbors dog peeing through the fence onto her dead tomato plants.

No, but I have a dog :think: but she's female so I don't thing that's it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
jdschall said:
No, but I have a dog :think: but she's female so I don't thing that's it.

my dog is female and anywhere she pees in the yard the grass dies. keep an eye on her next time she goes out, she may be watering your plants for you.

however, i have a roma and a beefsteak tomato planted in my garden that are dying as well, while all my other tomatoes are doing great. its not dog pee so i don't know what it is.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah I have little spots of dead grass all over the yard too. My romas are ok. It's the betterboys that are cold kickin' it dead.

jdschall said:
The farm next door nailed some of our land with herbicide from a crop duster some years back. We were not pleased...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Atomic Dog said:
A novel idea. Unfortunately I live in a state park where discharging firearms is a big nono.

oh well, you poor thing. ;) invest in a fence and relish in the fact that you get to live in a national park.