Quantcast

How exactly do you get jumps to flow well?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Well, I've found a new spot thats alot closer to my house, and I know the kind of jumps I need to make, but I just need to make 'em flow right. I mean I guess I could just make them all the same size.. but how about one a couple rollers before the first actual jump, for speed checking and whatnot? Me confused... :dead:

-Chris

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I guess it just comes with experience and trying to eye them out.

dig your first jump (usually making the first a bit of a step up works well to get more speed for the second), then dig down in the ground between the first landing and second lip to make the inbetween space more U shaped as opposed to just flat space (make sure to dig drains) you can use the dirt from the inbetween space to build the 2nd lip. Make the distance between the 2nd lip, and 2nd landing a little bit longer then the first jump. Usually 8 ft gaps work for 3 foot tall lips. Use discreation though if your jumps go down hill make the distance between the 2nd lip and landing quite a bit bigger the the 1st lip and landing. Follow the same formula for the rest of your jumps.

Hope this helps. I live in the Bay Area too, so if you need a hand pm me

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well if you have the money you should build some wooden kickers. of course to the size that you want. then build some dirt mounds. pack them down and then place the kickers were you want them in front of the dirt landings. once you have them placed right remove the wooden kickers and make a dirt kicker of the same demensions. do this as many times as you like, try some different launch angles too, and deffenetly some different distances.

PS. personaly i would make the first jump a low flooter so you can build some speed and after that go big(realy big:rolleyes: )!!!

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
... the "U shape" transitions are important if not an added bonus. Take drainage into consideration as well.
If anything though, make them consistant if not progressive... so as to not loose rhythm.
Also leave room for growth. good luck.:nopity:

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If the jumps are on level ground, make them about the same length and the same shape. You can mix it up with speed jumps that are lower, have mellower lips, and longer, and tall jumps that you can boost which are taller, steeper, and shorter.

Once you get a rhytm of 3-4 jumps, pack them and run through them a few times. If you're casing uncontrollably or need to suck up the lip a ton so you don't overshoot the landing, then you can start adjusting the lips and moving the takeoffs and landings.

I recently built a rhythm and it's hard to get it to flow well. After some time jumping and looking at lips and gaps you'll be able to imagine what's good for the situation. In the end we had 2 big, fast jumps about the same size, then a long speed jump with a curb-sized lip and big pumpable landing, then a bigger, steeper, but much shorter hip that you could boost. It took a few tries to get through it but it was ok. It takes practice and a few tries to get the jumps right.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
i have been working on my spot for a while now, and it really just takes time, just build the jump how u think it should be, start riding it let it pack, then if ur having alot of trouble casing or overshooting adjust the lips acordingly. and u shaped definantly helps, oh and leave room to make em bigger cus u will.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I actually went back to my old spot up near the hills, and decided it was a better idea to just fix up the jumps I already had, plus this location was is alot less visable from the road. I hadent been there for a few months, and my friend brian built them up alot since. The berm into the main pack was way too small to get speed for the bigger jumps, so I started a new rollin off the side of the hill and a bonzai that would hip into the berm from behind. It seems like it will give you good speed too. Ill find out when I finish it tomorrow I guess. ;) I got alot of work done today, and the jumps seem to flow pretty well.