Quantcast

how far do I have to walk?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
some of you may know, I've been dealing with a severe back issue the last 9 months. I haven't been able to ride my bike for about 10 months. The only real physical activity I can do is walk but walking is SOoo boring..

I am currently walking about 2 miles, with maybe a 3/4 mile uphill section. It takes me about 30 minutes.

I would like to keep my metabolism up and keep myself inshape somewhat so that when I do get back on my bike, it will be easier to get back to the level of riding I was at before my back injury.

suggestions?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
some of you may know, I've been dealing with a severe back issue the last 9 months. I haven't been able to ride my bike for about 10 months.
Seriously, what about a recumbent bike? They can customize it for just about any back or neck issue. Not cheap, but a great solution if you can swing it.

What about a recumbent at the local gym/fitness club?

I would like to keep my metabolism up...
I think metabolism is less important than cardio-vascular? But this area, I know very little.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i can't sit without pain so recumbent is out. (besides, they suck:))

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I guess I kind of thought cardio=metabolism..?
Maybe someone will answer who knows more, but I think doing cardio work will increase your metabolism (how much your body can process), but I don't think increasing metabolism will help your heart and lungs at all.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wump.
that's is what I thought. My question is, how much walking should I be doing to get the best results?

I have always been under the impression that I needed to get my heart rate way up (such as one would when riding in the woods). Now I am limited to walking. I can't walk very fast either but I can walk for miles and miles.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The general 'fat burning zone' is usually around 60% max HR so somewhere around 120bpm for most folks.

According to this chart one hour of cycling is roughly equal to three hours of walking.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Would the tabata method be out of the question for you? You could do the squats without weight and it is still an ass kicker.

Look here, and scroll down the exercises to tabata.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can't do squats. even putting on my socks irritates the nerve in my back.. but I can walk without too much irritation if I walk gently...

Thanks for the info.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
swimming is great. however, I can't do public pools because of chlorine trama from my youth. We do have an outdoor, saltwater pool here but it needs to get warmer out before I get myself in that.....:)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
swimming is great. however, I can't do public pools because of chlorine trama from my youth. We do have an outdoor, saltwater pool here but it needs to get warmer out before I get myself in that.....:)
yeah, my mom washed my mouth out with bleach too.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
We do have an outdoor, saltwater pool here but it needs to get warmer out before I get myself in that.....:)
Lucky. I've heard good things about swimming in sw pools. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Btw, hasn't "fat burning zone" (w/ regards to hr and % of max) been disproven?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Out of curiosity, have you tried Yoga? Or speaking with a Physical Therapist about what types of activity are healthy for your back?

The reason I mentioned Yoga (other than that I'm a yoga freak) is that it focuses on strengthening your core, so if you have had a back injury, you can prevent another one from occurring in the future by having fully developed core strength. Most qualified yoga instructors know how to adjust the positions for individuals who are recovering from an injury so you don't restrain your injury at any point during the class. It also helps a great deal with overall fitness, staying strong, and flexible (all key things to a great recovery) - non-impact, and you only go as far as you can with each class.

I alternate bikram yoga and power yoga. Bikram is the hot yoga, which I love because the heat keeps your body fluid and loose, thus prevening further injuries. If you're in the Seattle area, I know there's a great class just outside of Bothell, and I'm sure lots of classes that are closer.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Out of curiosity, have you tried Yoga? Or speaking with a Physical Therapist about what types of activity are healthy for your back?
At this point the only thing that is good for my back is NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. I have to let the swelling on the nerve and surrounding tissues go down before I can do anything. The problem I have is anything I do causes stress to the area and increases the swelling..:(

I can walk, and they say it's good for me but I don't think it's helping other then it keeps me from being seditary. I can in NO WAY stretch yet.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Are you icing the swollen areas? Have you tried anaflora?
I do put an ice pack on the area but I can't tell if it does any good. I'm currently taking Piroxicam to help reduce swelling.

I'm not familar with anaflora.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

"The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities. But, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight."

L

luelling

I say walk as much as you can. A lot of that crap about being a certain heart range isn't accurate, its like using that stupid formula to determine what your max heart rate is....the only way to truly determine is to go until you pass out/puke on your trainer (and yes I've done it).

I say, keep the calorie intake low with lots of greens/fruits/ and healthy meat and try to slowly increase the walking. Don't go to hard to fast, you are going to risk injury

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
Indeed, the "fat burning" or "aerobic" zone as being the fastest way to lose weight is indeed a fallacy and is basically just a misinterpretation of some factual data.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Would the tabata method be out of the question for you? You could do the squats without weight and it is still an ass kicker.

Look here, and scroll down the exercises to tabata.
Tried the tabata squats routine yesterday with no weight (knee injury). I made it through the set but then couldn't walk for like 10 minutes without cramping up. Felt like crap for the rest of the night then passed out exhausted. Legs are a little sore today but My God, it's amazing what 4 minutes of muscle fatigue can do.