Quantcast

How far is Trevyn road riding every day?

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
At the last Wisp race Hartlove made the comment about Trevyn that if we wanted to be as fast as Mr. Trevyn we'd have to put in the sort of time on the road bike that he did.

Exactly how far is that every day? I did 35 in 1:31 today, and it smoked me pretty good.

So come on Trev, share the secret to your speed, I needs to go faster.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
At the last Wisp race Hartlove made the comment about Trevyn that if we wanted to be as fast as Mr. Trevyn we'd have to put in the sort of time on the road bike that he did.

Exactly how far is that every day? I did 35 in 1:31 today, and it smoked me pretty good.

Wonder how much racin' MX has to do with it?

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Well, as Trevyn's teammate I can say that road bikes are not his thing. He does however pretty much ride a bike for his job. And he for sure bumping up the time on his MX bike. Though, I bet he would say his fitness is his biggest weakness.
Now another teammate of ours, Jason Beckley, who swept the pro class at the last race, spends in excess of ten hours a week on his cross country or road bike doing intervals and whatnot, with a bunch of dirt jumping or DH thrown in on top of that.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
I'm no pro by any means but I have spent alot of time training and a few things that I have found.

Cross training with a road bike really isn't that big of a help - Unless you are looking for time in the saddle for endurance races. When it comes to short endurance 1 or 2 hours then running is the key.

If you can get 3 to 4 runs a week at 30 to 45min each you'll notice a huge change in your riding.

JMO

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
I'm no pro by any means but I have spent alot of time training and a few things that I have found.

Cross training with a road bike really isn't that big of a help - Unless you are looking for time in the saddle for endurance races. When it comes to short endurance 1 or 2 hours then running is the key.

If you can get 3 to 4 runs a week at 30 to 45min each you'll notice a huge change in your riding.

JMO

I'm glad someone said that...if this sport ever comes down to hours on a rode bike to be competitive..I'm out.

Asked him at the race what the secret was and he simply said time on the bike.

I'd think running like you said would be the ticket for cardio and the rest is just not using your brakes.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
As bp said, road bikes aren't Trevyn's thing! Sure, he spends a lot of time on his KTM's, but the guy is just a naturally skilled athlete and all around'er. Some people have it, some people gotta work hard for it....and he has it!

Aside from being an extremely nice guy, he's also highly dedicated to his craft. Like bp was saying, he spends a lot of time on his dh bike as part of the summer responsibilities of his job, that undoubtedly plays a very large part in keeping his skill sharpened. Snowshoe/work takes up so much of his time that training really isn't in his vocabulary. Imagine if he had the time to dedicate to training and upping his fitness.....the kid would dominate!!!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC

Check the two forum topics that are on off season training, a good deal of good information in there. Road biking is the least of your worries.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189623

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189581

T-Pro

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005

The Ice Cream and Virgin Blood Sundae is what I have found to help me get that competitive edge...

Honestly though... I think the one thing I have changed starting last and this year that has truly made a difference in my results is my race run tactics. Downhill racing is such a unique form of competition. In no other racing endeavors have I found it more difficult to produce consistent results while pushing personal progression. In this sport you have just "4" minutes to prove yourself to the competition, all while handling the many internal and external challenges that it poses. Too often I see people burning themselves in the first 30-60 seconds of the race. Usually either bringing them to the point of exhaustion where they make a mistake or bringing them to a speed that is above their capabilities of handling. Personally, I have had some of my most successful races with tactically developing a plan to concentrate my points of exertion in the areas that will make the biggest difference with the least risk, which is usually in the pedaling sections of most courses. DH racing, in general, is short interval sprints with a mixture of technical skill thrown in. One mistake or crash is way worse a time penalty over using a little more brake or selecting a safer line, it’s often the difference of 10 seconds to 1 second and you probably conserved considerable energy which can be used in other areas that may benefit you more. Choose your battles wisely! Having a good race run plan, strategy and tactics is probably one of the most important forms of preparation for any Downhill Racer. Ski racing is a great trainer and example for this… with ski racing you don’t get the luxury of pre-running or practicing a race course. So we handle this by developing tactics to handle the course based on your personal abilities and skills. After developing your tactics memorization is the next step. Developing a mental picture to help visualize your race run is key! Draw it out on paper if need be. With “4” minutes from start to finish, you don’t have much time to think and adjust as you go so the more prepared you are race day the better off you will be.

My personal fitness and technical training revolves around an overall very active lifestyle. I don’t own a road bike and never have. I do own a Moto bike and always have. I also own a 20”/BMX. Between the two I attribute most of my skill development on a mountain bike. The Moto brings the muscle endurance, cardio, and technical comfort of speed (specifically reading terrain at speed). The 20” develops fine muscle skills and finesse. No suspension, small tires and wheels, and steep angles makes for a somewhat unstable but super responsive bike. Living at Snowshoe I have spent less and less time on my 20” but more and more time on the Moto. I probably log more time on my Moto than I do on my Downhill bike most weeks. It’s like riding a downhill bike the entire time, even when going uphill. Moto bikes are a difficult training tool to have for most people... though if you can get access to one I highly recommend spending the time and money. The Mulally family is a testament to this, Neko and Logan both race indoor motocross in the off season and it shows with a 14 year old who beats up on most pro’s.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Thanks Trevyn, that's the sort of concept direction I was looking for as I look to next season.

I am up against a bit of a wall here in the pan handle as there is no DH to speak of, and moto is a big question mark. Maybe I can justify the expense, just have to work out where its going to come from.

Thanks again, that was really helpful.