Quantcast

How far will you go for a free meal?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
SCENE
Last night, wife and I went to the grand opening event of one of her client's, restaurant in Downtown (Bauer's, recommended!). The renovation was great, food was great, it was fockin' packed to the gills!

We got a snack and some bubbles. She shook some hands, said her congrats and then we went and paid full price for dinner at another restaurant -- Oceanside, oustanding as always! -- a few blocks away.

Apparently, I won't put up with "packed like sardines" for a free meal, but OMFG, the other guests were like fockin' piranas! Almost everyone there was wearing a suit that cost 2-10x as much as mine and it was like they'd never eaten before. They were elbowing each other and pushing.

Are 'wealthy' people always this bad?

What will you put up with for a free meal?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
One of my Bro-In-Laws has a restaurant in "midtown" Kansas City and he comps our meals/drinks/whatever. It's always a treat to go there so we don't have any problems eating there at all.

I wouldn't put up with jostling and crap like you describe though.

edit: It's about an hour drive for us. I did drive out to KC for free Chipotle one time as well. hmmmmm burritos....

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Rich white people from CO...*shudder*....they are almost as bad as rich white people from CA.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
One of my Bro-In-Laws has a restaurant in "midtown" Kansas City and he comps our meals/drinks/whatever. It's always a treat to go there so we don't have any problems eating there at all.

I wouldn't put up with jostling and crap like you describe though.

edit: It's about an hour drive for us. I did drive out to KC for free Chipotle one time as well. hmmmmm burritos....
Nothin compares to Freebirds, not even Chipotle

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
It ain't just rich people, brother! Ever go to Sam's/Costco/BJs, etc when they sample the food by the cooler section? You'd think that tiny bite of chicken nugget on a toothpick was free prime rib.

Pimpin ain't easy...

Any meal where I had to endure crowds and jostling and pretending I'm happy isn't free. At least to me, my time is valuable.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Is it cuz we're no longer young? Or not so old that this is the only event of the week?
It could be an age thing. I'd like to think otherwise, but it might be the fact I am getting old.

I know at work we get donuts on Friday and there is this mad rush the second the email goes out that they have arrived. I like a good donut, but I always wait about 30 minutes so I don't have to fight the horde. I'm far from being an "old guy" in the office, so it might not be 100% age. It could just be a novelty to some people.

An apple fritter counts as a serving of fruit, right?

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
It's a city mentality. My wife grew up in Philly and she's fine w/that crap. I'm a suburban/country hick who needs a fat table and free peanuts! Being simple has it's advantages:)

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
you're angling for the 'racist' custom title, aren't you?
Not really, thats what everyone from around here calls Memphis, especially people from there. They really do have the best BBQ.

Anyone else been to Memphis in May? Great bands and BBQ

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Memphis does have the best BBQ on the face of the planet.

LO I probably would have been out the front door before you. I don't get the free food obsession people seem to have. At least in this case it was good food.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Nice!

A steak house?
Not a steak house. The competition in KC for steak is pretty stiff. BBQ too. Really good places don't last long cause the established heavy hitters have immensely loyal followings. Of course every bubba with a 55 gallon drum thinks he serves up the best 'que in the world....

My BIL's place is a kinda casual upscale with a lounge attached. Really eclectic menu. They have a chef, but no sous etc. Live Jazz a few nights a week. Local art up on the walls. Sales are right around $1.3mil. A new place that's a little bigger will put them over the top. They're working on that right now.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Memphis does have the best BBQ on the face of the planet.
That's all a matter of opinion I think. I happen to be a huge fan of pork BBQ with a NC style vinegar sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love a good brisket or beef ribs and tomato based sauces are good on them, but for me BBQ is all about the pork.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
That's all a matter of opinion I think. I happen to be a huge fan of pork BBQ with a NC style vinegar sauce. Don't get me wrong, I love a good brisket or beef ribs and tomato based sauces are good on them, but for me BBQ is all about the pork.
There is no argument there. You do realize that Memphis is only pork BBQ right? And dry rub is the only way to go.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I'm aware, try telling that to somebody from Dallas or KC though. BBQ is a cult and everyone who cooks it thinks theirs is the best.

Psssshhhhh. Think is the operative word there. I've never tried BBQ in KC but Texas don't know **** about BBQ. And Milwaukee, well, Milwaukee BBQ joints should just be burned to the ground. Do you know that they don't even use smoke up here!!!!!! I work with a girl who has never had smoked ribs. She f'in boils them!!!!!!!!! The Deprivation! And I won't even get started on the "sauces". I think this summer I'm going to set up a rib stand on my street. Why? Because my ribs are the best.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Psssshhhhh. Think is the operative word there. I've never tried BBQ in KC but Texas don't know **** about BBQ. And Milwaukee, well, Milwaukee BBQ joints should just be burned to the ground. Do you know that they don't even use smoke up here!!!!!! I work with a girl who has never had smoked ribs. She f'in boils them!!!!!!!!! The Deprivation! And I won't even get started on the "sauces". I think this summer I'm going to set up a rib stand on my street. Why? Because my ribs are the best.
KC BBQ is all about the beef. Some pork too but most briskets, beef ribs and etc.

Word about places out of their element trying to serve up BBQ. I have friend that lives upstate NY that swears that this place in Syracuse has the best BBQ ever. I just chuckle to myself and let him live in his dream world.

Personally, I love it all. KC, Carolina, Georgia style (mmmmm) it's all tasty.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
<snip> I've never tried BBQ in KC but Texas don't know **** about BBQ.
It's all in where you go. I can take you to several places within an hour of Austin that could change that thought pattern.

I can take you 10 minutes from my house for the absolute best pork chop known to man.

I'm not a super huge fan of brisket anymore though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
KC BBQ is all about the beef. Some pork too but most briskets, beef ribs and etc.

Word about places out of their element trying to serve up BBQ. I have friend that lives upstate NY that swears that this place in Syracuse has the best BBQ ever. I just chuckle to myself and let him live in his dream world.

Personally, I love it all. KC, Carolina, Georgia style (mmmmm) it's all tasty.

Dinosaur BBQ is great for NY, not great overall. Best BBQ I have ever had was actually in Maryland. Properly smoked pulled pork with a spicy vineger sauce. Not a fan of KC style BBQ, had some good stuff in Texas but I prefer pig over cow. California hands down has the worst BBQ.