Quantcast

How far would you commute?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I am looking at a job that potentially pay double what I am currently making. Of course, there is a commute involved.

So, how far would you go, or how much annoying travel would you endure, for a job that would pay twice what you are currently making?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i personally would draw the line somewhere around 45 min each way (maybe 60 min if you don't have to deal w/ slowdowns and tie-ups).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I go 14 miles each way. The furthest I have gone was 24 miles each way to downtown, but I never drove. I ride my motorcycle a few days a week if it's nice now, but I use mass transit about 75% of the time.

It took 90 minutes to get downtown and 3 hours commuting is TOO LONG.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Here is one scenario:

Current job:
You work from your own home.
You do not have to commute at all. Gas prices pretty much have no effect. Your lunch is in the fridge (with beer, cookies, etc.). You can cut the grass during lunch. You wear shorts and flip-flops.. You really don't have to set an alarm to wake up. You get a slight tax break for having a home office. When you are finished with your work, you are already home. You are bored with the work. You make $X

New job:
You have to drive an hour to work, maybe even two.
You may have to wear a shirt and tie. You have a chance at promotions and raises. You may get more opportunities for training. You make $(2X)

What would tip the scales for you? The commuting distance? The salary amount? The chance for advancement? Interaction with other people? The lack of a dress code? The ability to sleep in?

What about other factors?
Daycare? Your pets? Sitting and watching television? Lack of anyone looking over your shoulder? Or perhaps the need to have someone on your back, making sure that you are paying attention?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I guess it really depends on what you value or need more, more money or your freedom. I've been self employed for 13 years and work on my own schedule. The thought of wearing a tie, having to battle traffic, and having to be there at the same time everyday makes me cringe.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
New job:
You may have to wear a shirt and tie. You have a chance at promotions and raises. You may get more opportunities for training. You make $(2X)

What would tip the scales for you? The commuting distance? The salary amount? The chance for advancement? Interaction with other people? The lack of a dress code? The ability to sleep in?
Is there any chance at all for mass transit? An hour or two on the train is a hell of a lot easier to manage than the same amount of time by car.

Stability is one thing. With there being no short-term fix to the economic struggles, how does the stability of the new job compare with your current situation?

Shirt and tie to me is a non-issue. Well, that's not entirely true. I would have to purchase some new slacks, but that's about all.

Interaction with people is key. Will they be intelligent and worth the air they breathe or your typical middle management douches?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've done a two hour each way commute.
I still have friends who do.

It makes you want to kill yourself after about a year.

These days the furthest I will go is an hour, each way.
Or 75 miles.
Which ever is less.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I do an hour each way, but I take the commuter bus. It's way cheaper ($3.60 round trip) and I sleep on the bus in the morning and play video games on the way home. It's not bad when you don't have to deal with the traffic

I used to live in the same town as my job, but the GF wanted to be closer to her family after the baby came.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I found my limit last year. My company moved 20mi from my house. I lasted a little over a year. I just couldn't do it any more. I was going insane. My work was suffering because I couldn't get the hours in because traffic dictated my schedule.
My new job is less than 2mi from my house and pays more.:banana:

edit: 20mi around here was 30min in the morning and an hour in the afternoon.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I commute by train.
Takes an hour or so, and costs me a dollar. I can drink beer, listen to tunes, and look at hot girls in skirts.

No way in hell I would drive an hour each way.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I used to work from home in mid 90s as an independent IT contractor for various internet start-up, most notably webvan. I made a **** pile of money without really knowing why... that dried up and I found myself unemployed with skills that had low to no market value. I pissed around for 5 years or so until the money ran out and I found I was unwilling to do the type of work the local economy offered.

I monstered myself out and accepted a low level supervisory position that required a 50 mile commute... the position paid less than half of what I make now but I had no choice as mid level management positions are gained by promotion & not filled by outside hires. Bleh!!!

I kept the commute for 18 months until I was promoted to my current position at a new location which involved a 152 mile daily commute!!!

I sold my house and moved closer... my commute is now 72 miles round trip. So far it has been worth it as I've been told to expect a promotion in the 2nd quarter.

I have no idea where my new assignment might be. :monkey:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'm doing about 40 minutes each way (37 miles). Carpooling makes it better, but the time spent in the car each day is still not good. It'd be nice if it was a bit closer

Longest regular bike commute I've ever had was 17 miles each way. It was a much more worthy use of two hours.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here is one scenario:

Current job:
You work from your own home.
You do not have to commute at all. Gas prices pretty much have no effect. Your lunch is in the fridge (with beer, cookies, etc.). You can cut the grass during lunch. You wear shorts and flip-flops.. You really don't have to set an alarm to wake up. You get a slight tax break for having a home office. When you are finished with your work, you are already home. You are bored with the work. You make $X

New job:

What about other factors?
Daycare? Your pets? Sitting and watching television? Lack of anyone looking over your shoulder? Or perhaps the need to have someone on your back, making sure that you are paying attention?
The real question is this:

how happy are you with your current job?

and

how happy would you be with your new job?

I have traveled long distances to fun jobs (i.e. the bike shop) and bad jobs (big corporate blah blah). The commute becomes your life and you accept it quickly. The question is how much is your personal satisfaction worth to you?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
My commute is anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending where I have to go in the morning. Today I have to go to Greenwich, CT. Yesterday I went to my office in Cheshire, Ct. Tomorrow, I don't know yet. I woun't know tomorrow's schedule until later today.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Geez, an hour or two each way is a bit much. Twice the pay won't be worth it if you are miserable. I drive 35 miles/45 minutes each way. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. Thankfully my commute is just distance...never any traffic or traffic jams. And Sirius helps make it even less painful.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I have 21 miles/30min's now...If I was offered double pay for a place an hour away, I'd take the job and then move.

edit: Also, I would not want to work at home.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Remember, you'll have to also wear pants at this "new" job. And you need to stay at home building up bikes while you're on conference calls!

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Thats a tough choice! I have never had the chance to work from home. I can think of a lot of nice things about doing that. But I also enjoy the chance to get out and be with other humans. And I think I would get more done in the office than at home.

The money would have me thinking, and the opportunity to have room to move up. I had the chance to take another job last year that offered more money and more room to grow than where I am now. And it was much closer to where I lived. I turned it down because I was happy where I was and was doing fine with what I make.

So to answer directly. If I were you and I was willing to take the job, I would also have to be willing to move closer. That commute would be killer. But if you are happy with what you do now...why change?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
12 mins to work by vehicle, 30-45 minutes via bike. a super-sketchy bike route though. that's the only thing I wish was better but I can't complain much b/c the drive's so short and I'm not dumping tons of $$$ into fuel costs.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I've done 60 miles each way in LA traffic.

I will never do that again. I cringe at the lost time...

I now do 25 miles and it's not so bad. Most days it's about 45 minutes. While I would like to live very close to the office; where I live is more important as I spend my "down" time there.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
An hour each way is the limit for me, and then only for a very good job AND if it's an easy commute. No Deathrace 2000.

Just factor the time spent driving and the associated costs when you calculate what you make an hour. So if you drive an hour each way, it's really a 10 hour day.

I know a guy who drives from Northern Pennsylvania to NYC every day (like 2 hours each way.) He saves do much on housing costs that it's worth it to him, and he loves his giant house.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I used to live 1/2 mile from work. Its tough now because I live 1.25 miles from work :D
I live 2 miles from work. I drive once or twice a week just so the engine in my truck doesn't seize up from lack of use.

If I had the option of working at home and I was happy with my salary, had the things I needed, maybe some luxuries, I would stay home. My time is very valuable to me. Spending 2 to 4 hours in a car per day when I could be spending that time with my family or on a bike is just not worth it.

If you factor in time spent commuting and money spent on gas and wear and tear on your vehicle (figure $0.50 a mile or so) are you really making 2x the money?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Well, as I feared an option has arisen that would involve a major change. The commute could involve mass transit, but would still equate to roughly 2 hours each way. My hope is that I can sell them on the concept of a person coming in periodically (perhaps once per week), then working remotely for the remainder of the time. I know that it will not be something that they are used to offering, but it is worth a shot.

I know that I could not deal with such a long commute on a daily basis, especially considering the arrangement that I have had for the last few years. Unfortunately the job is extremely tempting from more than one perspective. Even if I have to turn it down, it is good to know that you are considered the best candidate for something good.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Wow ... a 4 hours round trip, possibly every day? I couldn't even consider that.
But once a week could be doable.

Spill a few more beans here ... how about some details regarding the gig?

fwiw: I used to have a 16 mile commute that regularly took 1hr + ... by car.
Now I work from home 3 days of 5 and just travel to see customers.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Wow ... a 4 hours round trip, possibly every day? I couldn't even consider that.
:stupid:

That commute would suck.....between work, and the commute, there wouldn't be time for anything else in a day.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You long commuters are crazy. I could never spend that much time in a car!

My longest bike commute was 24 miles each way. It's currently about a 4 mile ride if I take the direct route. Driving=THE SUCK:banghead:

You long commuters are crazy. I could never spend that much time in a car!

My longest bike commute was 24 miles each way. It's currently about a 4 mile ride if I take the direct route. Driving=THE SUCK:banghead:
You do what you gotta do!

IAB has a 45 minute drive North (as he said) and he makes great money and has awesome benefits. I work 50-60 minutes South. I also have a great job and have worked with the same people since 1995 so I'm not going anywhere. I have an office and can come and go as I please and can work from home if I choose - but in the summer I find it difficult to concentrate on work at home.

and of course, when I started here, gas wasn't $4.00/gallon.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
1 hr in traffic or 1 hour moving? I've done both, sort of. The first was ~30 minutes to cover ~20 miles. It was fine, I don't mind driving. The other was ~1hr to cover ~10 miles. Unless it was Friday afternoon. Then it was 1.5hrs to cover 10 miles. Fvck me that sucked. The current arrangement is ~30 minutes for ~15 miles, the traffic is not an issue but it's all surface streets so the speeds are low. I'd gladly take on a dress code and doubled commute for 2x my salary, but 2 hrs in a car every day is insane I'd have to seriously ponder that.