Quantcast

how fast do you like it?

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
rebound, that is...

Mine is now "damn fast" and I'm not sure I like it. If I drop the bike, it bounces slightly - same front to back. It's a P.2 hard tail.

It really shoots off a lip if I time the load/unload (pull). However, landings seem a bit more squirrelly. More troubling is the sensation that the fork sometimes unloads too early - on the face of the jump before the lip - which leads to the rear of the bike being kicked slightly by the lip. I've had no bad outcomes, yet, but its wierd for the bike to feel like it is nosing naturally into the landing ramp pump rather than me sensing that I have to push it down to meet the landing ramp after I've spotted where I want it to touch down.

Am I over analyzing the bike/jump? I'm a new DJer. Perhaps I'm actually starting to get the effortless feel for rhythm section doubles?! (I doubt it.) Something feels different... and the only changes are one more day at the jumps and my new, stronger (hvy: red long + blue short) springs in the old Zoke. (I changed the rebound setting to just 3 turns from closed (it was at 6 with the med hvy springs) but kept the oil at 7.5wt.

--Been
been posting this same question at mtbr freeride, as well

Zippy357

Chimp
Dec 19, 2003
Mountlake Terrace WA
I also have a P2, bought it last summer and as far as the stock forks go, ive not been overly impressed. In fact just last week I bent them of a DJ near my house. Im putting psylos xc's on it, hope that does the trick.

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
Originally posted by Zippy357
Do you still have the stock forks on the bike?
Zippy357,

I do not have the stock fork. I bought just the frame and am running a fork I already had... until I decide which one suits me best. (Read that as: a good bargain comes along.)

My fork is a 2000 Z.3 BAM 80 with extra heavy springs (I weigh 180) and 10 wt oil. The fork has the right sag at no preload and only bottomed once yesterday when I seriously cased a jump... landing on the front wheel on top of the landing ramp.

The fork saved me, though...

--Been

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
Originally posted by the Inbred
is this the same been jamin that was on Mojo?
Yep, it's me. I think it's best to keep the same handle as you wander around... I see you agree.

Have you been on a DropZone Cycling urban assault ride, yet? I can't wait to ride with Jaime in about a month, when I come for a visit to S.A.

--Been
been learning to fly (haven't mastered the landings just yet)

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i would say its best to turn the rebound down. it will help if you mess up on a landing because the bike won't bounce around as much. the same thing goes for trails with stutter bumps and drops. for example, take a look at josh bender as he just lands off a drop. his bike bounces around allllot (couldnt find a good similie)

been_jamin

Chimp
Apr 27, 2004
SF Bay Area
I tend to agree with the concept that slower rebound is better for controlling landings... due to increased traction. However, I'm not experienced enough to disagree. I will say that with slower rebound the front end feels sort of "dead" on take-off, whereas with faster rebound the front end "takes off" better. Similarly, too fast of rebound caused the front end to pre-jump the lip a couple times, and the rear end tended to be pitched up by the lip - that wasn't a good feeling.

Perhaps it's not the fork so much as my timing of the loading of the fork and the pulling up on the bars. I will work on bunnyhops with platform pedals this week and try to get that same feeling on the face/lip this weekend.

For now, I am using rebound a bit faster than the Marzocchi recommended setting for trail riding.

--Been
been uncomfortable with my fork

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Well if you can change the rebound i think you hould try and find new forks. Im not sure but are those dirt jumping forks, because if they are that is what they are made for and will do i best.

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Originally posted by FlashBullit
Well if you can change the rebound i think you hould try and find new forks. Im not sure but are those dirt jumping forks, because if they are that is what they are made for and will do i best.
Wow... is it just my dislexia or does that not make sense.

:stupid:
:confused:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
translation:

I don't know anything about forks. When you visit austrailia be sure to stop by sidney because it's lovely. My dog had flees but one of those collars did the trick. I think hanebrink forks are the best deal right now. Some forks have a name like DJIII, it must be good for dirt jumping if it's called a DJ fork.

I think a little bit faster rebound would be good. damping is best somewhere in the middle, full slow is bad, full fast is bad, find somewhere in the middle that compliments your riding style. Go half turns at a time and hit your six pack or whatever and see how it feels.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
shy away from psylos, I weigh 190ish and a zokes DJ fork is the first thing that I ever felt really secure on. the 03's are going really cheap now too.

I like my rebound really fast for bunnyhopping and jumping. Slowing it down will definitely help your landings though. My best advice is to experiment with it until it feels right.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
i like mine medium-fast for DH, so rock gardens are no problem, and rapidfire hits come like second nature. for big hits i like it slow, so that i don't get bucked. most of the time, though, i keep it just below middle for all around riding