Quantcast

How fit will you be at 49?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Ned Overend just doesn't know when to say when. The dynamic 49-year-old is now the Colorado State Road Champion, schooling athletes literally half his age. Read Ned's first-hand account of the race.

Colorado State Road Championships
Report by Ned Overend

The new, not old, Colorado St. road champ.

Last weekend, I won the Colorado State Road Championships. It was in the mountains outside Steamboat Springs. A 75 mile race with 6000 feet of climbing and most importantly, for a scrawny climber like myself, it had an uphill finish to the top of Gore pass.

Early in the race, I was part of a five man break. The chase group was never more than a minute back, so there was constant pressure for us to work together. As the race wore on, our breakaway was whittled down to three riders as Eddy Gragus and Cody Peterson succumbed to the pace.

The chase pack closed to within thirty seconds, but our break held the lead going into the final two mile climb. Mitch Moremon and I started throwing down some attacks, and with a half mile to go, our breakaway companion Jon Tarkington, finally popped off. Then at 200 meters I outsprinted Mitch for the win.

I used my Roubaix Pro, which works great for Colorado road racing. The Roubaix geometry is stable on the high speed mountainous descents and the light weight combined with a stiff bottom bracket makes it a fast climber.

I think I've won the Colorado State road championships before. Let's see...is it possible it was in Colorado Springs in 1987?

BTW, he finished eleventh in the Pro Men's XC at Durango as well. If I haven't been misled I believe that Kabush (who won) was one of very few in the race who are more then 1/2 Ned's age.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
thats awesome that he's still kicking ass !!

one of my fav parts about racing, when I pass younger guys !!

I'm 37 and at my local xc weekly race series, the age bracket is 19 - 39 !!

ps:ok, I'll show off too - I won the series this year !

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
For me, primary goal is not to look like homer simpson at 40, like 3/4 of my friends. I simply can not understand why someone would let a gut grow. I will be better at 49 than I am at 33 now. I'm getting into other stuff as bike riding is not a year round activity in New England. Yoga, getting back into Aikido again in the fall. Ima be fit and buff yo.
Knuck

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Knuckleslammer said:
.. let a gut grow...
It grows on it's own, other than starving yourself for the six-pack abs, it's hard to stop the gravity/age effects...

My body looks like most "normal" over-40-year-olds, but most of my peers don't ride a bike 4k miles a year, lift weights every other day combined with 1000 crunches every day...

If I stopped eating like a pig, I'd have less than a keg'er middle section.
:oink:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know Im tacky and superficial and all that stuff, but c'mon. Couldnt he get that "thing" removed?