Quantcast

How hard is it to press in a headset?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
robdamanii said:
You suck. :eviltongu

Howabout getting a headset OUT of a frame?

easier, but harder to describe how to make the tool

Seatpost less than 1 1/8 and cut it the length of the post so it looks like this

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
seatposts are made of aluminum, and when you try to flare/bend them, the cold working doesn't go so well w/ aluminum and it might break. schedule 40 pipe is a better way to go.

rob, i've had a friend bang in a headset w/ a block of wood and a hammer. just grease it up and go.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm glad my LBS let's me use their tools on the rare occasion i feel like wrenching on my own rig. There's no way i would want to spend the hour banging one of those damn things out when i can use the stand and press, blim blam bloom 5 minutes i got the old one out and new one in.......

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
In the stone ages, when I was a wee lad(early mid 80's) I did it the old fashioned way: two by four and a hammer.

I guess things get more sophisticated as you get older.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
robdamanii said:
Might be easiest to just have a shop do it and wait to build up the rig.
You can do it your self, but if you don't get the cup straight the first time your screwed. If you lived a little closed I'd let you use my press:)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
DUDE, it's basic, heres what I did:

1.I took my head set cups down to the local hardware store, and went to the "nuts and bolts" section.

2. I bought the biggest bolt I could find that would fit though the headset cups. I can't remember the exact mesurements, but I think it was 1" in diameter, and long enough to fit trough both cups, and my head tube
3. I bought washers that were big enough not to fit through my headset cups and that would give enough surface area to press the cups into the head tube.
4. I bought a nut to match the bolt.
5. I went home, lightly greesed my cups
6. I slid one washer on the bolt then one cup.
7. next I put the the bolt through the head tube on my bike, I put the other cup on the oppsite end, then the 2nd washer, and the nut.
8. I lined up the cups so they'd slide stright into the head tube.
9. I started tightening the nut which pressed the cups into the frame.
once it pressed in, I loosened the nut, and took the bolt out.

This ghetto press was super cheap, and works perfectly. I've used it on 4 different frames now, and everytime it's worked with no problems at all.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
splat said:
Copper Pipe ( or some other Soft Metal ) and a Hammer .

Id recomend the actual tool for this one. If not done correctly you can score the inside of your steerer tube.

Remember do not grease the cups before you put them in.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
mack said:
Id recomend the actual tool for this one. If not done correctly you can score the inside of your steerer tube.

Remember do not grease the cups before you put them in.
The owners manual on the PIG headset reccommends lightly greesing the cups.

I guess I can see the potential problems if you over greased the cups, but what harm could come from lightly greasing them?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Skookum said:
i'm glad my LBS let's me use their tools on the rare occasion i feel like wrenching on my own rig. There's no way i would want to spend the hour banging one of those damn things out when i can use the stand and press, blim blam bloom 5 minutes i got the old one out and new one in.......
an hour!? i thought you were a roofer? are you that weak on a mallet stroke?

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I use a Park press now but I've done the all thread/fender washer press and the 2x4 press method. It actually takes me longer with the Park. It is an easy enough job but if you are unsure, take it to the LBS.

I've never built a Kona but you'll want to check that the frame has been faced and reamed so the press fit is correct and the cups will sit straight. Also, lightly grease the cups.

J

JRB

splat said:
ya know if you actually read the entire thread , you might actually see we told him how.
I read it. I was telling him to do a search. Sheesh

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
narlus said:
rob, i've had a friend bang in a headset w/ a block of wood and a hammer. just grease it up and go.
I've done that, but with a nicer headset and frame, I would either do it with a press or just let the shop take care of it.

My question is, what's the best way to get the bottom bearing cup seated on the fork?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
an hour!? i thought you were a roofer? are you that weak on a mallet stroke?
yah yah yah.... more like weak with my self induced ADD when it comes to bikey wrenchin.

i think my whole point is whatever job you're doing, even if you know what you're doing, is a big ole pain in the butt without the right tools. If you can get into a shop that has a stand, and every single tool within your grasp that you'll need, that's very nice.

i personally for some reason recieve no joy in wrenching on my bike. i guess my fixing crap is appeased with all the crap i do all day i have no desire to be a wrench monkey. i'm not sentimental on my bikes so much, i see them as a tool to ride.

Anyways too much blah blah from me on this thread, i'm starting to bore myself.....