Quantcast

How hard is it to reduce your riding?

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Staying out-of-the-saddle :(

After years of mountain bike riding, and 8 months of road riding (Which increased my mileage 3-fold) I’ve developed my first real “Saddle Sore”. :eek:
Now this is not your normal / usually reported chaffing or friction problem (I’ve had that before),
but now I’ve developed a cyst or “fibrous growth” type (ischial bursitis, weaver's bottom or tailor's seat). :nuts:
Few weeks ago the Dr. prescribed some anti-biotic pill, I’ve finished the pills, but the “problem” has not diminished (maybe because I haven’t completely stopped riding; I’m only commuting 12 miles a day, but the Epic weekend MTB, or 40-60 mile road rides have stopped)
So on to the second Dr visit to get more /different treatment. :mumble:
But never mind the details of my discomfort, pain, and suggested treatments, my question is;

It is extremely difficult for me to stop riding all-together, even for just a few weeks,
have you ever tried to stop riding completely for weeks at-a-time?

:help:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Yes...every winter. I definately don't have a problem getting off the bike as I can't pedal more than a foot before the bike is buried in snow :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
ET_SoCal said:
It is extremely difficult for me to stop riding all-together, even for just a few weeks,
have you ever tried to stop riding completely for weeks at-a-time?

:help:
Alot of people on this board do it, mainly because the weather....
me i'm broken so i can't ride, but i've taken significant time off. Just find something else to take up your time to fill the void, and when you hop back on may find a deeper appreciation initially. That is if you really wanna do something about your butt callusse....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Take up a new hobby, like drinking!

No, its time to find something else to do with the time. Books, art projects, video games.

Bummer about the bum, hope it feels better soon;)

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
I haven't been in the riding business for as long as you have, and I haven't had a reason to be off the bike for any length of time until just recently. I sprained my ankle, broke my thumb and it was the first time I had ever broken anything. Basically, I'm saying, I don't have experience with time off but recently having to do it for the first time, makes me in a similar situation as you and I can offer some wisdom ;)

If you are totally obsessed with biking and don't have a winter hobby, like some of these guys, there are still biking related things you can do while you're out. I know I sound like a baby but I was SO discouraged when that stuff happened, my mental point of view about everything was affected. I worried that the time spent off the bike would hurt my training or I'd lose all my skills, not to mention endurance.

I couldn't really do any other activity anyway, so I passed the time reading up on the subject, like techniques for DHing. I search tons of sites, read up on trials techniques. When I felt okay enough to get out, but not enough to go hard, I practiced other biking skills, balance, etc. Since you can't get on the seat, maybe you could work on your endurance in biking by cross-training. Talk to people about what to do, go out and take pictures/support your friends, teach someone else.

There are ways to become a better rider, or at least keep involved and they don't always involve physically being on the bike. Even practicing not being on the bike is a good mental skill! Injuries are inevitable in this sport and the only thing you can do is be able to get through those times in the best way. By focusing on another aspect of your riding, you will give yourself the proper time to heal, learn something new and maintain the positive attitude you have about yourself that helps you be a good rider already.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I recently have had to cut back my riding about 70% due to work and family chit. I am completely miserable and a total assh0le to be around. I just keep thinking that at some point I can get a ride in but it never seems to happen. I have come to the conclusion that being a responsible member of society is for suckers. Once everything blows over I think I will quit my job, mooch off of friends and family, and ride until my knees fall off.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
The answer is simple - dont stop riding, just take your seat off and sprint the whole way. Your legs will be way stronger in no time.

Or just get a trials bike. Its impossible to sit on those

;)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Echo said:
Finally some solid advice :D
:p Just helping out!

Does anyone else see the massive potential for a new custom title for ET SoCal?;)

"saddle sore" :p

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I get winter blahs too. Bikes tend to not work well at -30C. Thought getting married and having a kid/kid's slowed my riding a little, I'm lucky that my constant whinning and grumpy attitude all winter long, makes my wife actually want me to go away and ride.

Another suggestion to filling your time off the bike, Reno's. I've had my kitchen torn apart for a month and them some. It really fills my time away from work/bike.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i cant stop ridiing for weeks at a time, i dont have the disipline. im lucky that in the winter here it only rains a ton, so i can still ride alot. all my friends think im crazy because in ALWAYS riding a bike.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
) In Southern California, it's year-round riding.

) Recumbent... Thinking 'bout that, but it's still early.

) "Find something else to take up your time to fill the void,” there is nothing that compares w/ riding a bike...

) I lift weights every-other-day, in-between riding (Cross training you-know)

) I already drink. Should I drink more?

) "A job where you can't commute” Blasphemy

) Already have family; kids are teenagers now so I ride more than ever before (Well, not NOW...)

) "Sprint the whole way" I'm not a youngster anymore, can't do that...

) Trials riding? You don't get anywhere...

) How about "Bummer-Bump-Bum" Zark ?

:stosh:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Sell your bike, and you can have a reason to buy a new one! Hell, I rode Snowshoe for the first two weeks of summer, sold my bike, and just got a new one yesterday. It's been hard not riding for months, but it's just in time for the fall. I spent much of my time doing trail work/dirt jumps, or painting.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I agree - it's time to find another hobby. I have a very hard time not cycling if I'm not doing something else I enjoy. Winters are hard, and prolonged rain spells are hard because I'm being forced to not ride. If I'm not riding because I'm kayaking or taking my truck off-road, it's much less of an issue.

Find something else to do that you enjoy. It should help.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
ET_SoCal said:
) Trials riding? You don't get anywhere...

:stosh:
And?

You can do it anywhere, so you dont need to go anywhere.

I'm actually quite serious. Its a great way to become better at handling your bike and youll get to spend more time on the bike. I have become a better rider all around since I started trials. Also, fills the time nicely.

Oh, and trials riders tend to be pretty damn cool people. :)