Quantcast

How high do you usually run your seat?

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Curious what you guys run your seat height with respect to the top of the seat tube...for DH riding, urban, messing around, etc.

Do you slam it all the way down for DH or leave it about halfway? Some people say to slam it for low CG, some say to leave it up a little so you can pinch it in your thighs...

:monkeydance:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
Curious what you guys run your seat height with respect to the top of the seat tube...for DH riding, urban, messing around, etc.

Do you slam it all the way down for DH or leave it about halfway? Some people say to slam it for low CG, some say to leave it up a little so you can pinch it in your thighs...

:monkeydance:
I run my seat around the same height as my bars on my dh rig

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I run my seat around the same height as my bars on my dh rig
:stupid:

unless its quite pedally id run it a bit higher to still mash the pedals when sitting in sections (yeh i know im not fit enough to stand the whole time)

or drop it down a little if there a very steep sections so i can get back over the rear wheel easily

but definitely within thigh hugging hight

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
it s funny you bring it up. Because lately some people have been curious about my seat height. A mate of mine recommended i run my seat higher for ease of weight distribution (front/rear) and pedalling situations, or even coming out of corners pedalling.
Much more stability.
SO yeah i run my seat at same height as my bars.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
it s funny you bring it up. Because lately some people have been curious about my seat height. A mate of mine recommended i run my seat higher for ease of weight distribution (front/rear) and pedalling situations, or even coming out of corners pedalling.
Much more stability.
SO yeah i run my seat at same height as my bars.

i really like how at every opportunity you show of that sweet ride :busted:

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
If your jumping alot I run mine so I don't hit my self with the seat while landing, you know from those oh S*** landings

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Maybe an inch below the bars at most, but I also run a QR and full length seat post. If I am doing something super steep and scetchy I will slamm it, but for general DH and Freeride its no more than an inch lower than the bars, for pedallbility and thigh grabability!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i run mine as low as i can get it. i got a bottlerocket with a 16.5 ST so i could slam it super low. of course, with a 410mm thomson, you can't slam it all the way to the rails, but close.

now i'm on a nicolai ufo st and which has a 17" or 18" ST and because of issues with tire buzz, i need to run the post up a bit. i'm kinda shocked at how comfortable i am with it that high, but it has been working for me.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
It also depend on your height
I wish I was little bit taller
I’m 1.70 so I run my seat the lower I can and still not touching the rear wheel on bottoming

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
pretty high or else it rubs on my rear tire...

but I hate low seats on dh bikes...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
About 2" higher than my bars. I like my cockpit to feel the same on all my bikes (DH/FR/XC), with XC being a tad bigger overall.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I can hit corners alot faster with the seat almost slammed.But i will run it a higher depending the particular DH run.
Also i am riding a Bullit with a Boxxer & it doesn't have the slackest HA.

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
I can hit corners alot faster with the seat almost slammed.But i will run it a higher depending the particular DH run.
Also i am riding a Bullit with a Boxxer & it doesn't have the slackest HA.
Hey mate,
i guess it does depend on your bike/geo etc.. but too slammed will unbalance the bike through corners and provoke shock dive. Do you get any of that?
Generally weight up front will keep the bike more balanced and if you race then you want to be forward. The higher the seat (within reason of course) the less effort it is to return to race position.

For example if you look at one of those boom cam with hill at fort bill. you'll see how high hill s seat is and how much he seats down out of corners.

Just my thought.

nicho

ozzemale

Chimp
May 3, 2004
sydney
Look carefully at sam s saddle height in this vid. it s pretty obvious he has it very high.

and again on bryn s saddle height. perfect!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Look carefully at sam s saddle height in this vid. it s pretty obvious he has it very high.

i could to that for more than 5 sec. who wants to look at sams nutzzzzzz.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Just above my knees when I'm stood on the pedals for DH. Higher than that is just weird.

first reasonable post in this thread.

its not how hight its from your bars,............thats completely irrelevant!

its how high from the bb.

i run mine generally crank up = thighs horizontal to the ground.

BORN FREE

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
i usually run mine right below my knee when in standing on the pedals. so its high enough for sit down pedal mashing and stability, but low enough to provide clearance for leaning into corners etc.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
just out of reach of tire buzz (i even cut out the seat for that last 3/4" haha)... ends up at like 2" below the bars or right at the top of my knee when i'm standing...
perfect for me (but eats my a$$ if i sit down over something!:busted:)...
Dude you give that bike more picture time than ride time! :D
I would guess it stays in your room and is also the wallpaper on your screen and phone. :D
Dont think Im heckling you, mine comes to work and I have a demo print banner of me riding thats 4'X8' on the wall to show printing res. :D
My wife wears a mask at night with a picture of my bike so she can get rode! :monkeydance:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
first reasonable post in this thread.

its not how hight its from your bars,............thats completely irrelevant!

its how high from the bb.

i run mine generally crank up = thighs horizontal to the ground.
True, guess I should have said whe I am in riding/race position my seat if right between my knees as well, Angled back just a bit, but still flat enough to sit on without falling off. Gives me manueverability while still being able to pedal

Dude you give that bike more picture time than ride time! :D
I would guess it stays in your room and is also the wallpaper on your screen and phone. :D
Dont think Im heckling you, mine comes to work and I have a demo print banner of me riding thats 4'X8' on the wall to show printing res. :D
My wife wears a mask at night with a picture of my bike so she can get rode! :monkeydance:
yep, you've nailed it on the head!!!:busted::busted::
hahaha, its got its share of riding away from the poses and lenses for the amount of time i've had it... i havent spent more than an hour off of it in the past 6 days and 80% of that has been real riding, not slalom on the street...

lets just say, in 6 days, i've already developed a loud bit of play in the shock eyelets and have to true the rear wheel pretty badly...

screensaver on the phone, computer, and binder... :busted:

as for your wife, :clapping::clapping::clapping: i love it!!! hahaha

kuksul08

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
wow that's a lot of replies! Personally I like mine high enough so I can still sit down and pedal. Legs don't quite have the endurance to stay standing the entire time :)

ATOMICFIREBALL

May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Hey mate,
i guess it does depend on your bike/geo etc.. but too slammed will unbalance the bike through corners and provoke shock dive. Do you get any of that?
Generally weight up front will keep the bike more balanced and if you race then you want to be forward. The higher the seat (within reason of course) the less effort it is to return to race position.

For example if you look at one of those boom cam with hill at fort bill. you'll see how high hill s seat is and how much he seats down out of corners.

Just my thought.

nicho

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i like having a range of adjustment, my one complaint with my sx trail. the thomson it came with is great for XC rides, but it's a 367mm post so when i lower it all the way my seat is still an inch or 2 above the bars. it's perfect for racing and fast paced DH but when i'm jumping it's the biggest pain ever. i think i just need to buy a 2nd post because i can't cut my thomson without limiting my seat height range for XC riding.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
For steep trails with little-to-no pedaling, I drop it low and tilt the angle back a few degrees (when I can remember) to have a cushy part of the saddle to pop up at me in the chundery sections.
Otherwise, I try to run it up a few/several inches and closer to level for the more pedally stuff...low enough to shred with, but not too low to where you couldn't sit and mash to some degree on the flat sections on trails where sprinting isn't necessary.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Mine generally sits around the height of the head tube.

I don't like it too high, makes me feel too perched 'on' the bike rather than in the travel.

Plus it smacks me on the arse when I jump otherwise :D

ATOMICFIREBALL

May 26, 2004
Tennessee
i like having a range of adjustment, my one complaint with my sx trail. the thomson it came with is great for XC rides, but it's a 367mm post so when i lower it all the way my seat is still an inch or 2 above the bars. it's perfect for racing and fast paced DH but when i'm jumping it's the biggest pain ever. i think i just need to buy a 2nd post because i can't cut my thomson without limiting my seat height range for XC riding.
Try & get one of those telescoping seatposts like the ones that Banshee bikes use! That might be the ticket for ya.