Quantcast

How I Like My Steak

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i recall Burly getting some comments about the relative charred exterior of the steak he grilled up a couple weeks ago, which i thought was unfounded as that's exactly how i like it.

off the grill:

sliced, showing rare interior:

on the plate:

:drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
gas all the way, but i need to do some troubleshooting w/ my burner, as i think some of the holes are clogged. the jerked chicken i grilled afterwards for lunch this week needed to stay on a very small portion of the grill surface in order to cook.

syadasti, no marinade needed for these steaks. a touch of olive oil and some freshly ground sea salt and black pepper is all that touches it. boneless ny strips = the win.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
<snip>
syadasti, no marinade needed for these steaks. a touch of olive oil and some freshly ground sea salt and black pepper is all that touches it. boneless ny strips = the win.
Ahhhhhh........... ah love the strip. :drool:

I even forego the salt on mine. Just a bit of ground pepper and on the grill she goes. :thumb:

BTW - nice char.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I questioned his grilling abilities in the same way I will question why you need to eat a half pound of broccoli, but dammit that steak looks excellent!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Very nice, narlus. I love a good strip steak cooked rare. I go very light on the salt and a moderate amount of pepper. No marinades for a steak like that, don't want anything to detract from the taste of the meat!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cold sesame/peanut noodle salad, w/ ginger and scallions. it's a store-bought item (same place we get the meat), but so damn good and easy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
cold sesame/peanut noodle salad, w/ ginger and scallions. it's a store-bought item (same place we get the meat), but so damn good and easy.
Nice, thought maybe it was soba. Cold noodles are great with food off the grill and prepared stuff like that makes it so easy. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:

Very nice, narlus. I love a good strip steak cooked rare. I go very light on the salt and a moderate amount of pepper. No marinades for a steak like that, don't want anything to detract from the taste of the meat!
:stupid: That's why I forego the salt altogether. Oh, and that steak would be categorized as medium-rare in my house. :D

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I may be late to the party, but by no means least with the praise!

Gorgeous!

My psyber-sense is tingling!

The last photo is nearly perfect! (except for the noodles - just my bias, appearance-wise, i'm sure they taste great!)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Me:
  • Let the steak sit out till it's room temp.
  • Cut a few wounds into it.
  • Stuff wounds w/ smashed garlic
  • Rub down steak w/ coarse salt and pepper.
  • Throw over very hot coals.
  • Burn the outside, let the very core get warm and slightly bloody.
  • Eat.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we came from t-ball and had dinner on the plates in about 20 minutes. try that w/ wood; the kids would have been asleep before the coals were ready (not to mention the relative fiasco that trying to light a grill in the t-storm/gale wind environment would have been).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
we came from t-ball and had dinner on the plates in about 20 minutes. try that w/ wood; the kids would have been asleep before the coals were ready (not to mention the relative fiasco that trying to light a grill in the t-storm/gale wind environment would have been).
:stupid:

These coal/wood fire snobs can kiss my bare white ass. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Gas has less carcinogen, more even heating...
Git your hippy attitudes outta my BBQ! Frikkin hippy.

Gas just ain't right, I tell ya... just ain't right... :nope:

I BBQed a pork tenderloin last night. Came out sooooo nice... sooooo tender and juicy! Just a little pepper on it and that's all.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
grilling the meat couldn't be easier...

pre-heat a grill on the hottest setting for ~5-10 minutes.
put a touch of olive oil on the steaks, and freshly ground black pepper
put the steaks (these are boneless NY strips) on the grill
at around 4 minutes, flip
cook for another 3 minutes or so.

take the steaks off, let sit for ~5 minutes.
put a dash of sea salt on, slice and serve.

the biggest part of this dish is to get high quality meat.

i didn't make the noodles; it was store bought. contains pasta noodles, ginger, scallions, peanuts, sesame, a touch of oil and probably a touch of sugar, you could also add a pinch of cayenne pepper too.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I cook with gas inside and out. I prefer wood but it's a pain when I just want to fire something quickly, and gas is easier to control. Throw a few wood chips on the grill and I even get a little real wood smoke.

Ciaran, what fuel do you use? Please tell us you are not using kingsford or some other chemo-charcoal, that is just the worst.

And it ain't a BBQ, it's a grill. Unless I am wrong and you are talking real barbecue, it which case gas really is wrong. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
SkaredShtles said:
Tell us about it after you have multiple kids............ ;)
Ahhh... touche!

I imagine that many of my "convictions" will change after I have some kids. :)

OGRipper said:
Ciaran, what fuel do you use? Please tell us you are not using kingsford or some other chemo-charcoal, that is just the worst.:D
Depends on the situation, but I try to use real wood charcoal. I'll use the kingsford stuff in a pinch or when it's hotdogs and cheapy burgers for the niece and nephews. But for nice meats I'll try different wood coals. Some of them can be a tad hard to get going but it's worth it (to me).

Sometimes we have a fire in the firepit going, in which case I'll grab some coals from there.

I'm still learning about how to grill as I am finally in a house after 6+ years in an apartment so I have lot's of things yet to try.