Quantcast

How I spent my weekend (Many pix)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well, I think I am in trouble at work for abandoning them in favor of a roadtrip to Nor Cal but it was so worth it. 2 days of driving, 2 days of riding and I got to say "hella" a lot.

We started off from Zarks place in lovely Go-go-Golita California and headed north. Here's the obligatory bikes through the back window pic...

After driving for many many miles we found ourselves in the California heartland. As you can see, there ain't much in the middle of Cali...

Hours and hours of this...

Eventually we arrived in Truckee, had some food and found DHTahoe's place where we spent the night. (BIG huge thanks to DHTahoe and his wife for letting us crash there!!!) The next day we went to NORTHSTAR! It was my first time there and I was enthralled with the scenery...

We kept trying to figure out what those tall pointy green things were. Someone said they were called "trees". I didn't believe him because I have seen trees before in SoCal and they don't look like that.

Despite the abundance of these "trees" and being in awe of the natural beauty we did find time to ride...

Me hitting a small drop that brought out the wuss in me. Zark wouldn't let it rest so I hit it and made it. I think I just upped my skill level! Note the awsome RM jersey.

Zark showing me how to not be such a wuss...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Somewhere along the trail one of them "tree" things desided to lodge a piece of itself in between Zarks bashguard and chainring, thus prompting emergency trailside repair...

Eventually we had to hit the hella gnar gnar trails and Zark led the way...

Actually that was a flat tire that occured on the LROTD (I won't say it! I won't even type it! Last time I said it I broke my leg!). But that's OK because tomorrow we hit DOWNIEVILLE!!!

We woke up bright and early, and hit the road with KIDWOO and his buddy Dan (can't remember Dan's RM handle - sorry!)...

Kidwoo and Dan took us the back way to Packer Saddle where the fun begins.

We dropped in and I could not believe my eyes. It almost brought me to tears the joy was so great. This po' native SoCal boy was actually riding in a FOREST! :eek:

Those of you who live in areas like this might not get it but we just don't have forests like this in So Cal. It was simply beautiful...

Stopping for a bit of a break and a flat...

A river runs through it...

I was so entranced with the forest that I forgot to get any riding shots! We ended up in the town of Downieville which was very quaint... and very bike friendly.

After 2 runs (30 miles!!!) we were beat and headed to the Motel 6 in lovely downtown Auburn where we ate chicken and drank too much beer and passed out.

All in all I had a most excellent time. Thanks to Zark for organizing the trip and being a most excellent travelling companion. Aside from his penchant for Zamfir pan flute music he's a pretty cool dude... Here he is explaining the technical aspect of pan fluting...

Big thanks to DHTahoe and his lovely wife for putting us up for two nights, and thanks to Kidwoo and Dan for showing us the awsome trails and helping us get in 2 runs.

And now more than ever I want to move north. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Work is such a buzzkill after a roadtrip like that! I had so much fun out there.
Sunday was a 2 run Downieville day, 30 miles! Woohoo.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Nice! We did that trip earlier this year - 2 days of N* and then Downieville; absolutely one of the best trips I've ever done!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sweet. I was fortunate enought to ride Northstar with BrianHCM last year and I had a blast. It is certainly different than what I am used to here. It's cool to see Northstar pics now and know what all the hubbub is about. :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Glad you had a good visit! I love it up there. This past weekend I was in the Graeagle/Lakes Basin area with the Sierra Buttes Stewardship doing trails rides both days. That's just a bit north of the Packer Saddle area, pristine glacier lakes all over the place and endless trails that always have me giggling. It rained a little so the trails were perfect...no dust, smooth spongy pine forest, tacky dirt, lots of rocks, natural booters and chutes everywhere. :heart: Good peoples up there too. :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OGRipper said:
Glad you had a good visit! I love it up there. This past weekend I was in the Graeagle/Lakes Basin area with the Sierra Buttes Stewardship doing trails rides both days. That's just a bit north of the Packer Saddle area, pristine glacier lakes all over the place and endless trails that always have me giggling. It rained a little so the trails were perfect...no dust, smooth spongy pine forest, tacky dirt, lots of rocks, natural booters and chutes everywhere. :heart: Good peoples up there too. :thumb:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that during our second run at Downieville the clouds moved in and it began to sprinkle a bit. It made it even better! And the trail actually ran along a stream! Not just crossed a stream, you rode along/in the stream. Dang fun! (Hella fun?) I can't wait to get up there again.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ciaran said:
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that during our second run at Downieville the clouds moved in and it began to sprinkle a bit. It made it even better! And the trail actually ran along a stream! Not just crossed a stream, you rode along/in the stream. Dang fun! (Hella fun?) I can't wait to get up there again.
Yep I know what you're talking about, can't remember if that's on Butcher Ranch or one of the Divide Trails but it sure is fun. We used to ride that stuff on hardtails with v-brakes. I'll never forget the first time I rode that stream with discs - it was a whole new world!!

Think about coming back for the Downieville Classic next year, they run XC and DH races. The DH race is basically the 15 miles from Butcher Ranch into town. The whole town throws a bike party and it helps raise $$ for the groups that maintain the trail systems.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
OGRipper said:
Yep I know what you're talking about, can't remember if that's on Butcher Ranch or one of the Divide Trails but it sure is fun. We used to ride that stuff on hardtails with v-brakes. I'll never forget the first time I rode that stream with discs - it was a whole new world!!

The trails were in such great shape this weekend, no dust at all. Hopefully the snow will stay away for a little while longer so I can make a couple more trips up there.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
lovebunny said:
glad to see you liked N* mike! hwat was your favorite trail?
They were all bitchin! Karpiel and Sticks N Stones were big fun. Boondocks was great but a bit of a pedal to get to it. Sinuous (sp?) was great too... flowey and bermed and all that. There were a few (OK, a lot) things that I didn't hit but will do so next time. Zark led the way and I followed so we hit trails that don't know the names of. Many times I just followed and held my breath and said a prayer and winged it on through. Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. :D

I did notice something though... With the abundance of trails to explore and ride I found that I had zero interist in hitting the North Shore style stunts. And not just the big drops that scared me, the easy ones too. I found more challenge and interist in riding the natural terrain then hitting a man made stunt. Weird, I thought I would be stoked to be all "North Shore" but I guess the mountain captured my attention and just didn't let go.

I also noticed something else. Compared to N* Snow Summit was a ghetto.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
Ciaran said:
They were all bitchin! Karpiel and Sticks N Stones were big fun. Boondocks was great but a bit of a pedal to get to it. Sinuous (sp?) was great too... flowey and bermed and all that. There were a few (OK, a lot) things that I didn't hit but will do so next time. Zark led the way and I followed so we hit trails that don't know the names of. Many times I just followed and held my breath and said a prayer and winged it on through. Sometimes I made it, sometimes I didn't. :D

I did notice something though... With the abundance of trails to explore and ride I found that I had zero interist in hitting the North Shore style stunts. And not just the big drops that scared me, the easy ones too. I found more challenge and interist in riding the natural terrain then hitting a man made stunt. Weird, I thought I would be stoked to be all "North Shore" but I guess the mountain captured my attention and just didn't let go.

I also noticed something else. Compared to N* Snow Summit was a ghetto.
Those ladders are weak. I love riding north shore stuff, but i never touch those bridges at north*.
I think i saw you guys at D-ville. It started pis$in rain right when you guys left, and the trails were off the chains. Soooooo tacky. Best runs i have ever had at D-ville. We rode untill dark. :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Zach Dank said:
Those ladders are weak. I love riding north shore stuff, but i never touch those bridges at north*.
I think i saw you guys at D-ville. It started pis$in rain right when you guys left, and the trails were off the chains. Soooooo tacky. Best runs i have ever had at D-ville. We rode untill dark. :D
I was the dude with the long hair with Kevin at the pizza place. I saw you all as you were loading up and heading out.

Rained? Sounds sick! Wish I had the energy for a 3rd run. Next time.

How does your friend like that Canfield? I am looking at them as one of my options for a new bike next year.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah the weather was a surprise. I was camping up at the Lakes Basin Campground on the Gold Lake Highway. Friday night was all clear when we crashed around 11 or so. It started coming down a couple hours later, thought it was rain but woke up in the morning to mid 30s and an inch of slush on the ground...by the time we rolled around noon the trails were perfect and it was all good Sat night. Sunday was like a dream. Wish I had known ya'll were going, could have hooked up for a beer at the St Charles or something...next time.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
OGRipper said:
Wish I had known ya'll were going, could have hooked up for a beer at the St Charles or something...next time.
I guess you missed the thread in the Nor-Cal forum. Next time ;)