Quantcast

How is Mongoose with warrenty claims?

NuckaMan

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
I have a 07 ECD. Got it 2nd hand from a Oakley employee, who got it from a local Mongoose sales rep.

It was lightly used when I got it, and I've been pretty easy on it myself since I had it. I did notice the other day that seems like excess play has been developing in the main pivot point...I guess it was an issue with some of the early 07 frames, which I have.

My question is, anyone know how Mongoose is with support regarding this? I don't expect a new bike, just a front triangle so the problem doesn't get worse, which it will.

I was just wondering before I give them a call.

Other then that, the frame is pretty freakin good.

hollywood z.

Chimp
Jul 19, 2006
simi valley, ca
contact mongoose and ask for a bearing kit it should solve the problem. their are four needle bearings in the lower link that sometimes need replacing. change everything out if they give you a full kit. good luck, stevie z. (mongoose tribe)

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
You dont need new bearings, the aluminum surrounding the pivots ovalize and they get sloppy. It happened to me with an 07 black diamond. I'm not sure how their warrenty service is but I'm pretty sure you'll need a new swingarm.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
just so you know, most companies only extend the warranty to the original owner. i only know of one bicycle company at all that doesn't care. best case is that they sell you what you need really cheap.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Just have the bike shop order the parts you need. You have no warranty because you did not buy it from a shop. Any Mongoose shop can order you the parts. VM

DeafTrance

Chimp
Nov 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
From what I hear its sometimes rather hard to get mongoose to pick up the phone. They are usually willing to fix your problem when they do pick up. Your best bet is probably just going into your local mongoose dealer, or replacing the hardware yourself. I think some other users on the board did so themselves.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm in agreeance(is that even a word??) with DeafTrance about the difficulty in getting the mto answer. I THINK they pretty much leave it up to the dealers to handle those claims and such. I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like they just kinda turn the dealers loose with it.
I don't know who else to contact, but hopefully DenJen will get on here, his bud runs the Eastside version of the Tribe and i THINK he can get you parts?? Again, I don't know, just grasping...
But check out Chainsmoke.net, there's a Mongoose forum there.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
It's pretty much like 99.999% of all the bike companies out there, your first stop needs to be at your local Mongoose dealer. Pacific (GT/Mongoose/Schwinn) is very easy to deal with, but just like every other company out there they simply want the average customer to obtain warranty/spare parts through their local bike shop/dealer. Find a local 'goose dealer in your area and give them a call. If nothing else, you can call Performance Bicycle and have them order up the parts you need.

That said, your probably not going to get the parts covered under warranty, as you are the second owner. Work with your local shop, explain the situation and have them see what they can do with the help of Mongoose.

as a destroyer of many secondhand frames, all i can say is just call and ask. most companies will work with you to some extent. i've always been able to work out at least a crash replacement or better with them all even though the companies were well aware that i was not the original purchaser...

NuckaMan

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
Thanks guys for all the responses.

Yeah, Mongoose is hard to get ahold of. I will try a few more times before heading out to a local dealer.

Hope they can help me out like this forum has.