Quantcast

How is the living in and around Bothel, WA?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Going up there to take a test for a firefighter position...what's it like up there? How's the housing market? How far from Seattle...and more importantly Whistler?

Thanks.

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
I beleive housing is expensive for around here but, nothing compared to cali. There is a lot of rain but awesome trails everywhere and it is about 30 to 45 minutes away from seattle. I think 5-6 hours from whistler.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
There is a great bike shop in the area and some pretty good xc trails for after work riding.

Come on up....it really doesn't rain that much.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
With the way things are going these past few years the PNW seems to be getting less rain, and cali getting more. I cant speak for Bothell since i dont really know where it really is, but in general this area is cool, and yes, whistler is 4-5 hrs away. I live an hour south of Seattle in Olympia. We have made day trips to whistler...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Bothell's not bad - I live north of there by a bit, but it's nice. If you get an apartment though, make sure your car is alarmed. I had an apt there for a bit, and my black honda civ (yes I know - target car) lost a couple stereos as a result. The drive to Whistler isn't awful if you leave early enough in the am.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
I used to live in Bothell.....close to many things. I enjoyed living in the area. Can be in Downtown Seattle in 20min without traffic. Alderwood mall is about 15 min away. Few bikeshops in the area, and I've made it to Whistler in 3 1/2 hours from Bothell.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
There's a sign comin in from 405 that says "Bothell, for a day or a lifetime". That screams of a red flag warning to me personally. :p j/k it's a nice suburb north of Lake Washington.

Working in Bothell wouldn't be that bad, traffic is really a bear especially on the north end of Seattle area, if you hate traffic you should pick where you live wisely.

Lotsa monkeys riding all year around here, good luck to ya.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hmmmm.....your coming from california?

where do I even start? :D

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Noone has mentioned the Burke-Gilman/Samammish trails yet. If you like the roadie thing there are very nice paved bike trails. You can ride all the way into Seattle(avoiding the biker-unfriendly traffic on surface streets) or you can head west to Lake Samammish and hook up with the Snoqualmie trail and head up the pass. Very nice rides either way. As mentioned, there's lots of cross country around and the big stuff isn't too far away either.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Skookum said:
There's a sign comin in from 405 that says "Bothell, for a day or a lifetime".
Ahahaha! have you seen the sign where some people have blacked out the "Bot" and it says, 'welcome to hell' good stuff

but seriously, bothell is a great town. the cost of living is going up pretty fast, so if you can commute, it may be worth looking around at places like juanita or mill creek.

looking to move permanently? it's a good place to raise kinds, if you're into that kind of thing....

good luck!

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
ChainWhip said:
Don't forget the local Brewery (Red Hook) and Wineries (Columbia, Chateau Ste. Michelle) just down the Burke-Gilman...

Good area.
D'oh...you beat me to the post... :D :thumb: All three are literally just off the bike path, making for some interesting rides home

Plus the Redhook brewery has (or at least had, dunno - haven't been there in a while) a rather large bike parking area/bike racks out in front and nice patio where you can enjoy your pints and food.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
it's actually very pleasent here. I'd much rather live in bothell than kenmore or say juanita.

You're not far from 405 wherever you are. you can hop on that then 520 or i90 and be in seattle pretty quickly traffic depending. Just up the hill from me is st. edwards and finn hill state park with lots of xcish trails. whistler is about 4.5 hours if you go fast.

overall a pretty nice place to live work and play.

Anything is better than Pasadena! I remember when I moved up from Cali, you go from orange death to lustful green. Feels like a whole new world! I'd say commute though, if you work in Bothel, then commute from North Bend if you can afford it, you'd have some of the best trails right out your back door. Of course it's expensive up that way, that's why I live down in the south sound. House's are picking up around here though so now's the time to get up here and get one. Last year the house we almost bought went up $40g in a year...still kicking myself for that one!

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
I grew up in Bothell and my folks still live there. The place has definitely grown, and not in a good way. Downtown Bothell leaves a lot to be desired, but I guess it's "cute" in it's own little way. The traffic has gotten horrible though! Don't even think about heading downtown on I-5 or into Bellevue on 405 during rush hour. I used to do the Bothell to Bellevue commute for two summers. Luckily we were carpool, otherwise it would've taken forever :dead: However, if you're working in Bothell and living in the area it's not going to be that bad.

Like everywhere, housing prices are going up. My folks have a rental house (3 bed, 1 bath) that they were considering selling. They could have probably gotten well over $200,000 for it considering what others in the area were asking. I'd say look into the Woodinville area. It's a lot nicer area, but a little more expensive.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
NineFingers said:
IF only we got a picture of you from behind you could of used this one of you in your halloween costume. Go big or go home is your modo right? LMAO!!
...... :confused:

Why are you hatin on a mud hunnie?

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
NineFingers said:
IF only we got a picture of you from behind you could of used this one of you in your halloween costume. Go big or go home is your modo right? LMAO!!
damn straight! yeah, that is too bad no one got a shot from behind. usually white pants aren't that flattering on big girls like me but i have to say, my a$$ looked pretty bangin' that night.....beating the guys off me with my stuffed animals all night!!

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
i've commuted from bothell to bellevue on 405 for almost a year 3-5 times a week for work. for some reason there is never traffic southbound when it is gridlock northbound for me.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Yeah...I can't live in So Cal anymore...traffic is killing me...and the fact that anything halfway nice in Pasadena is 800K minimum. So once the parents sell the house I'm SOL. I applied with the Denver Fire Dept..and that looks like a definite possibility but that's still a long way off.

Most important question....females. How are they up there?

By the way I notice alot of you put Mill creek or bend...how much does your average 2 bedroom house go for with back yard?

Dog Welder said:
Yeah...I can't live in So Cal anymore...traffic is killing me...and the fact that anything halfway nice in Pasadena is 800K minimum. So once the parents sell the house I'm SOL. I applied with the Denver Fire Dept..and that looks like a definite possibility but that's still a long way off.

By the way I notice alot of you put Mill creek or bend...how much does your average 2 bedroom house go for with back yard?
Yeah when I got out of the Navy it was bye bye CA. Too many people, too much money for my taste, not enough character. Washington is a cool place, you'd be better off coming up here and looking around first...Seriously! Each area has it's own thing that is good and bad and it really depends what type of living your looking to do. North Bend is nice because it has a small mountain town feel but it's only 40 min. or so from the city.(I-90). If you can afford it live there! I live down by the military bases in an area called Puyallup. It's nice, but way crowded(nothing compared to what your used to though). We just got into a brand new 3 bedroom rambler, 2 bath, upgrades,->hardwood kitchen, stainless steel appliances etc., with a decent size yard for the new homes going in now a days for $225k. But we are southeast of Tacoma(40 min from seattle) on the outskirts a bit where it will be booming over the next year or two. I personally like Cle-elum, Leavenworth, and some of the other towns on the westside of the cascades but they aren't in driving distance of your work location. Bellingham is killer too but again your looking at about an hour and half from North Seattle. Check out south of Everett area or somewhere off of HWY 2, that area is beautiful if you get something close to the mtn.s.

As far as the chics go, there around, not like Cali chics, but they are around. THe closer to city life the better the look. I couldn't tell you where the good clubs are as I'm married so we stay away from the meat markets. Good luck man, best bet is to buy a ticket and rent a car, drive around maybe bring the bike and meet up with some locals so you can talk first hand and possibly get someone to point you in the right directions.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Dog Welder said:

Your best bet is to grab a map, and check out JohnLScott.com for home prices around here. IMO it's the best site for viewing property and prices.
All the housing prices are going up around Snohomish and King county so the sooner the better. My place went up $20k - $30k in 1 year.

I live in Lynnwood, which is great because it is the junction between I-5 and I-405. I-5 is easy access to Bellingham, Mt. Vernon, Seatac ,etc (these are places to ride). I-405 is easy access to Renton area, St Eds, I-90 exits, etc.

Traffic sucks here as well. I lived in San Diego for a bit, and I thought the traffic was better there. I get around it by having flexible working hours. As a firefighter, you should be OK due to the 12 or 24 hour days. 3 on, 4 off, or something like that.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i wanna move to and right now it is between washington state and flagstaff. only problem is that i cant afford to fly out and just check the places out. basically i'd just have to kinda pack and go.

biggins said:
i wanna move to and right now it is between washington state and flagstaff. only problem is that i cant afford to fly out and just check the places out. basically i'd just have to kinda pack and go.
I vote for Flagstaff, more sun, you get the light snow for boarding, and lots of terrain to ride for biking! Plus it's in the high alpine vs the wet gloomy doom of the rainforest...here I go again, ok, my negative @ss is out for now.